I'm a staunch BlackBerry devotee (currently using a Z10 until the 30 hits VzW) and I'm trying hard to sell my friends on BBM in hopes of getting rid of WhatsApp.
    My buddy has a Galaxy S4 and he?s noticed that with BBM running he's seeing his battery power getting chewed up at record speed not to mention that his phone is running noticably hotter.
    A bit of background on Eric : he's a techie and very observant when it comes to his technology. He?s also one of the most open-minded, non-fanbois in our group, so if there's an great BlackBerry product adopter (even though he's an Android user) : it's him.

So I'm wondering if anyone else who either uses an Android with BBM or has friends who use BBM on their Android phones: are you experiencing extra battery drain and / or the phone running a bit warm?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 06:50 PM
    Seems a lot of folks using an S4 are having battery issues with the app. No issues here at all though on my HTC One.
    10-28-13 06:52 PM
    Groups seem to be draining my battery a bit more, but besides that nothin
    10-28-13 09:03 PM
    BBM is draining my battery very quickly as well. I thought it was because I had an older HTC phone.
    10-28-13 10:19 PM
    I'm not experience any more battery drain. I'm on an S3.

Its not just because he's using his phone a lot more?
    10-29-13 05:42 AM
    I don't see any significant battery drain on my S4 or my S3 BUT it's clear that the app is poorly coded.

Using WLD, I can see that BBM has wakeup my CPU 49 times during the last night when Hangout, ChatON and Whatsapp have wakeup my device less than 10 times each.
    10-29-13 07:00 AM
    I found a minor but noticeable impact on battery life. It was worse when I was using the Widget as well, so I removed the widget.
    10-29-13 07:16 AM
    for me so far so good all i have to say is that its in an early stage an you cant release a perfect app thats how people boast whatsapp. an to me whatsapp still needs lots of work, they release updates every week so meaning it has lots of probs. blackberry is very aggressive with bbm because it holds the key to the lock. it is by far the best application. with whatsapp i have to give out my number, viber as well you cant even block ppl from viber. i believe that the next update will be major resolving alot of bugs and adding lots of improvements so plz be patient.
    10-29-13 07:17 AM
    My GS4 Octa seems to be fine haven't noticed major battery drain.

I'd suggest Eric puts his S4 into Power Save mode, to reduce BBMs CPU usage.
    MisterShark likes this.
    10-29-13 07:55 AM
    note 3 here.. haven't noticed any battery drain issues.. i just rooted it and froze a bunch of apps and services as well.. i am apart of 3 BBM groups.. one of them is non stop.. kinda of annoying that i can't turn off group notifications.
    been off the charger since 6:30am it's 9:00am now.. traveled an hour to work across from LTE zones to non LTE zones back to LTE Zones..
    97% battery at the moment..
    10-29-13 08:01 AM
    My friend had a lower end Chinese branded android ( surprisingly good) and she tells me BBM is chewing her battery too

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier on a Z30
    10-29-13 08:01 AM
    Hmmm, seems like mixed results.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
    I've forwarded the link for our discussion to Eric so he's privy to what we're suggesting.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 12:28 PM
    Nexus 4 here, only have 1 BBM contact so not using it at all. Definitely chewing up battery though. One of the other people in our company also has a Nexus 4 and she removed BBM due to the impact on her battery. I'm not going that far - yet.

- R.
    10-29-13 11:31 PM
    I have a couple of friends on Android using BBM. They are both on galaxy S3 phones. Neither has yet to complain. But they usually have their phones plugged into wall chargers a lot when I am around them. So it would be hard to tell in that case I suppose.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-29-13 11:47 PM
    I set it up for my mom on her phone a few days agos and already wants me to uninstall it says it is killing the battery and she having to charge her phone more.

Posted via my Q10 | C00073083
    10-30-13 01:03 AM
    Have 2 friends with s4 and 1 with Droid dna and no battery problems at all. Also just bbm'd 4 with an s3 and nothing there either.
    10-30-13 01:37 AM
    Battery drain is negligible on the n4.

Sent from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 using the Mobile Nations App
    10-31-13 05:14 PM
    I have HTC Droid DNA, BBM reduced my battery life about 50% and my phone was getting really hot also. I was going to install BBM on my friends and family phones but because of the issues, I uninstalled BBM today. I've been an Android user since June 2011 and I have never had an app do something like that to my phones.
    10-31-13 10:49 PM
    Ugh.
    Experiences like the one directly above are what I was afraid of hearing.

But then there are so many other reports that no noticeable drain is occurring.

I don't know what to make of such inconclusive evidence.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 08:36 AM
    I turned the icon up on the top off and my battery life is much better now! tell him to try that! I have the note 2!
    11-01-13 09:15 AM
    I turned the icon up on the top off and my battery life is much better now! tell him to try that! I have the note 2!
    I'm going to wait a couple of days to make sure 100% it was BBM causing the issue, then I will re-install and try out your suggestion.
    11-01-13 09:53 AM
    Once that icon was turned off: are you still getting real time notifications?

If so then I wonder what the purpose of that icon running up there is.
    11-01-13 10:08 AM
    Once that icon was turned off: are you still getting real time notifications?

If so then I wonder what the purpose of that icon running up there is.
    I turned off the icon and haven't noticed any lag in notifications, but I did notice that my battery lasted much longer.
    11-01-13 10:38 AM
    Does anyone know what purpose that icon serves?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 10:41 AM
    It holds the app in memory. There's a possibility that Android will kill the application and notifications won't get delivered.

With the notification there it allows BBM to reopen.
    11-01-13 12:10 PM
34 12