I've been a BBM user from the very beginning of BlackBerry. But lately it seems BlackBerry has lost direction. There are lots of threads about the childishness of the stickers (which I agree with even though it might generate some money). But to date there is NO compelling reason for Apple or Android users to use BBM. I've talked some into trying, and after a short time they've all deleted it.

What would have propelled BBM forwards was high quality cross platform video chat. We heard it was coming a year ago. We still hear that....

Meanwhile Whatsapp has implemented some of the "BBM advantages", like a "message read" indication, location sharing, etc. To be honest I use Whatsapp a lot because that's where the people I communicate with reside. I only have 3 contacts using BBM!

And for all the Whatsapp bashing by BBM faithful, I don't find much difference. It's fast, simple, and works. I've never gotten unsolicited messages. I'm guessing it might not be long before they jump in the video conferencing and video chat bandwagon... probably beating BBM to the punch.

BBM tried with channels, but they seem to be dying quickly. Many big name channels haven't posted since June. I find myself rarely looking at them. And I'm a power BlackBerry user...

I love BlackBerry. But can BBM survive? I think only video chat still has a chance to save it. On the enterprise side the conferencing might help, but only for a while.

Any comments?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 12:43 PM
    Well, its clear BlackBerry the company is safe from irrelevance and bankruptcy, I guess now the topic moves to BBM?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 12:52 PM
    BBM only really has a chance if it executes and if Whatsapp fails to execute.

But from the look of things,.. either of those are very unlikely to happen.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 12:56 PM
    Well, its clear BlackBerry the company is safe from irrelevance and bankruptcy, I guess now the topic moves to BBM?

Posted via CB10
    You've got to be kidding.

BlackBerry are closer to irrelevance today than they've ever been... especially after Chen's desperate antics of today.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 01:45 PM
    I've been a BBM user from the very beginning of BlackBerry. But lately it seems BlackBerry has lost direction. There are lots of threads about the childishness of the stickers (which I agree with even though it might generate some money). But to date there is NO compelling reason for Apple or Android users to use BBM. I've talked some into trying, and after a short time they've all deleted it.

What would have propelled BBM forwards was high quality cross platform video chat. We heard it was coming a year ago. We still hear that....

Meanwhile Whatsapp has implemented some of the "BBM advantages", like a "message read" indication, location sharing, etc. To be honest I use Whatsapp a lot because that's where the people I communicate with reside. I only have 3 contacts using BBM!

And for all the Whatsapp bashing by BBM faithful, I don't find much difference. It's fast, simple, and works. I've never gotten unsolicited messages. I'm guessing it might not be long before they jump in the video conferencing and video chat bandwagon... probably beating BBM to the punch.

BBM tried with channels, but they seem to be dying quickly. Many big name channels haven't posted since June. I find myself rarely looking at them. And I'm a power BlackBerry user...

I love BlackBerry. But can BBM survive? I think only video chat still has a chance to save it. On the enterprise side the conferencing might help, but only for a while.

Any comments?

Posted via CB10
    You are spot on!

Sadly, no one at BlackBerry is listening. They're too busy deluding themselves into thinking enterprise software will save the day.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-22-15 01:47 PM
    The culture at BB for a consumer app isn't there. WhatsApps operates like a startup, quick and fast and BB operates with enterprise slow and sure.
    Carterbits likes this.
    01-22-15 01:51 PM
    Sadly, I have to agree with the OP, and I have my own threads running on the shortcomings of BBM. So I don't want to go into more detail again here.
    I just disagree with video chat being the potential saviour, I think all the other unresolved issues (clumsy invitation process & difficulty of finding other users, unreliable and/or slow message delivery (on iOS in particular), uneasy to use UI (for iOS & Android users at least), silly, pointless & annoying messages, etc.) prevent BBM from REALLY taking off.
    01-22-15 01:53 PM
    The culture at BB for a consumer app isn't there. WhatsApps operates like a startup, quick and fast and BB operates with enterprise slow and sure.
    If you think that there are many enterprises still using BB, yet there are just few left. They all smartened up and moved on
    01-22-15 02:01 PM
    Following the template to a "T".
    01-22-15 02:06 PM
    If you think that there are many enterprises still using BB, yet there are just few left. They all smartened up and moved on
    Yup... that's exactly right.

And that's why Chen's model of hoping enterprise software will save the day is a delusion.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 02:12 PM

And that's why Chen's model of hoping enterprise software will save the day is a delusion.

Posted via CB10
    If they lost most of the enterprise device sales because of BYOD, why is it a bad idea to go after the MDM/service component?

What would you have Chen do?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-22-15 02:16 PM

Are you kidding me? With all the hacking and cyber security threats out there, you think he's delusional? BlackBerry is better positioned now than ever thanks to all the security breaches that has been going on.
    01-22-15 02:18 PM
    Sadly, I have to agree with the OP, and I have my own threads running on the shortcomings of BBM. So I don't want to go into more detail again here.
    I just disagree with video chat being the potential saviour, I think all the other unresolved issues (clumsy invitation process & difficulty of finding other users, unreliable and/or slow message delivery (on iOS in particular), uneasy to use UI (for iOS & Android users at least), silly, pointless & annoying messages, etc.) prevent BBM from REALLY taking off.
    Yes if course I agree with all those issues as well. Video chat by itself won't necessarily save BBM. But if BlackBerry can get there cross platform well in advance of anyone else, lots of Android and Apple users will reload BBM. That could jump start it's revival and make it reasonable to fix all those other issues... at least that's how I see it

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 02:19 PM
    While I do appreciate the OP's concern about BBM... It is only one part of the plan so to speak... as most on this forum are North Amercian based... they simply do not understand how huge stickers is in the far east market.... money needs to be made wherever.... BB cannot stand to be picky at this point.... like it or not BB is focused on Enterprise only.... those of us in the consumer market have to face facts... we are being left behind.... BBM will probably become a niche market product like the rest of BB,,,, as such expect BBM for enterprise to be developed and promoted... The fact is the consumer market has left BB and at this point to dump resources into would be fruitless../
    01-22-15 02:31 PM
    Are you kidding me? With all the hacking and cyber security threats out there, you think he's delusional? BlackBerry is better positioned now than ever thanks to all the security breaches that has been going on.
    those security hacks did not target MDM..get it straight, hackers are going after the money not your device text messages...
    01-22-15 02:38 PM
    There is no compelling reason for new users to adopt BBM, and theres even more reason for existing users to abandon BBM, I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Whatsapp, on my Z10, performs better (opens chats quicker) than the native BBM app built by the makers of BB10.

What's that you say, Uninstall BBM and reinstall it? Unfortunately we can't get rid of BBM, I guess I should do a backup, secure wipe, full OS restore? Can I bend over backwards any further?
    FairlightRacing and Rello like this.
    01-22-15 03:01 PM
    I love BBM and find nothing wrong with it. It serves my needs. On the other hand, there were alot of things that I did not like about Whatsap and had to remove it. When I did, I found out more, I could see all my chat history. Some like Whatsap, others like BBM others like whatever the name is..I think the options are there. Is just another chat app in these bunch of mobile devices.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-22-15 03:50 PM
    The only thing BBM needs is a way to find other BBM users easily.

I love the PIN system and believe that it should be used at its core, but I think a way to allow your email address or phone number as a way for others to find you should be an opt in/out feature.

Imagine if part of registering a BBID included your device cell number. Then imagine if I could search my phonebook for other BBM users based on email and phone number.

The people who only have BBM installed for a single contact because that single contact convinced them would now be able to look for other people who also have BBM installed without having to actively seek them out.
    01-22-15 05:03 PM
    Imagine if part of registering a BBID included your device cell number. Then imagine if I could search my phonebook for other BBM users based on email and phone number.
    One of the things I love about BBM is knowing my phone number _isn't_ sitting in a searchable database.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    01-23-15 07:56 AM
    Unfortunately I tried to convert my friends to use BBM...no luck. Only one distant relative who has a BlackBerry uses it and I only managed to get my Dad to install and try on his MotoG. Eventually my Dad deleted it. All my friends use WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 08:06 AM
    those security hacks did not target MDM..get it straight, hackers are going after the money not your device text messages...
    Yeah, tell that to Angela Merkel
    01-23-15 11:11 AM
    So I recently found and experienced that Whatsapp has some potential security issues, which I do not believe exist on BBM.

- The "Last Seen" feature on Whatsapp allows people to run a free app, enter your phone number and track your activity. Not necessarily something I want anyone and everyone able to access.
    - There are also many apps which claim to be able to intercept the unencrypted "text" files sent through Whatsapp and intercept and read the conversations.

I was quite surprised by both of these, and has me staying away from Whatsapp until these features are confirmed or denied.
    01-23-15 11:21 AM
    The only thing BBM needs is a way to find other BBM users easily.

I love the PIN system and believe that it should be used at its core, but I think a way to allow your email address or phone number as a way for others to find you should be an opt in/out feature.

The people who only have BBM installed for a single contact because that single contact convinced them would now be able to look for other people who also have BBM installed without having to actively seek them out.
    I totally agree with you on that. The other thing is that there are also a bunch of people whom I've convinced to install BBM refused to add our mutual friends who has BBM. I don't understand why buy not long later they will delete BBM because they say they don't have any friends using BBM but me.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 11:24 AM
    For me, I actually increased my BBM user count by 4. The interesting part, they are all on different devices, iOS, Android, Window Phones and BB10. I particularly like BBM groups. I just open up a family group and it is a good way to keep family information there. Calendar, photo gallery, lists... they work great.

Not sure if WhatApps does that, but I already deleted it and none of my family members use it. BBM isn't for everyone, but we are enjoying a cross platform secure IM platform.
    01-23-15 11:36 AM
    What I think will save BBM is ;

1. Improve its User Interface. It's really disjointed.

2. Merge Group chat with multi-person chat. So all pictures & other multimedia files can be sent inline but when you tap on it you are automatically brought to the gallery where you can comment on it.

3. Have all the features of one to one chats in Group chats as well. Don't care if you will use it or not but that's what the user expect to have.

4. BBM Money will monetise BBM & this can be a Multi - billion US dollar app. How? Let BBM money be a payment tool between consumer & businesses then charge the businesses for accepting BBM money as a means of payment. This charge has to be amongst the lowest as it has to compete. I'm thinking it has to be in the region of 0.8% and below.

5. BBM Channels can be an automatic store front for businesses big & small. So instead of setting up expensive POS to accept payment using credit cards just have a free BBM Channels account.

6. BBM Channels need to be Web searchable so that people can find it & allow it to be more exposed.

Posted via CB10
    DueNorthBB and Korepab like this.
    01-23-15 11:37 AM
40 12