Hi,
    New to BBM-posted in another thread but did not get answers & did not see an answer by search. My mobile IT knowledge is very limited.

The privacy/security advantages of BBM over sms to me seem very clear. I'd like to hear somebody comment on the privacy expectations of using BBM on a company issued phone (iphone, or android & BB even), and how about when connected over work wifi or using the company's mobile service set up for the phone?

Let's assume the extreme for discussion sake (ie there's interest to actively monitor communications periodically)- are non-work related BBM messages vulnerable?

Sms vulnerability seems obvious when someone else owns the phone, sim, mobile service..but BBM on a phone & network/mobile service owned by someone else?

Thanks.
    11-09-13 09:19 AM
    BBM over a work phone can be monitored and recorded via BES10. Not sure about PIN messaging.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 09:24 AM
    BBM over a work phone can be monitored and recorded via BES10. Not sure about PIN messaging.

Posted via CB10
    I had to read up on what PIN messaging is (like i say, new to BBM). So PIN messaging sounds like how BBM app on iphone works, right (vs BB handsets)? So pin is how the crossplatform BBM app works over any generic wifi (including company)..so this is where my real question lies..anyone else know?

Also- if a company has a BES10 server, does the iphone BBM app go through that or the wifi you're connected to? The BES10 server makes sense as I view it similar to using the company email account using their computers.
    11-09-13 09:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not 100% true. May be under work bbm side

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:31 AM
    If your using legacy BlackBerry and your IT team have the settings correct on BES, they can monitor phone, sms, BBM and PIN.

If your using BlackBerry 10, the IT group could monitor the same info on BES however, special licences are needed called EMM Regulated. How would you know if they have the correct licence? If you can't download anything and the BlackBerry is locked down, chances are you are being monitored

There is no such monitoring capacity for iOS or Android by BES, "today" but I suspect this will change in q1 or q2. But your IT groups could get CDR from the carrier for phone and sms info.

Sincerely
    BES10 Admin
    11-09-13 02:07 PM
    I imagine the OP's real question is whether BBM, installed on a company-supported iPhone/Android (or at least connect via company wifi), is 'any harder' to monitor than any other messaging alternatives (sms, etc.)

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 02:13 PM
    There is no such monitoring capacity for iOS or Android by BES, "today" but I suspect this will change in q1 or q2. But your IT groups could get CDR from the carrier for phone and sms info.

Sincerely
    BES10 Admin
    dumb ques- is it obvious if the company is running BES? I'm thinking about places I've been that have wifi access but do not use BES (or at least I thought)

I imagine the OP's real question is whether BBM, installed on a company-supported iPhone/Android (or at least connect via company wifi), is 'any harder' to monitor than any other messaging alternatives (sms, etc.)

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, this is essentially my question..BBM on company iphone/android on company wifi (or personal iphone/android w BBM on same wifi for that matter)..as well via company's mobile service data.

I just want get an idea of what one should be aware of with these scenarios- especially in comparison to alternatives (sms, whatsapp, skype).

Appreciate additional thoughts to be shared.
    Last edited by tsttm; 11-10-13 at 11:55 AM.
    11-09-13 06:45 PM