Ok let me explain my confusion. Suppose I have a contact with number and email id. When I go to the invites section of BBM, I see these contacts there as add to bbm. In suggested.

I believe this happens because their email id is also their bbid and they once used bbm.

When I invite such contact from suggested, the invitation goes to a PIN. Then what is the purpose of a PIN when my email address is all that is needed?

Ironically, when I invite somebody from bbm through email, an email is sent to them which says bbm is safe and is not associated with email or phone but pins. And my pin is so and so.

It really is out of my understanding.

Can someone explain please?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 12:12 AM
    PINs are still useful because you can still just give one out without compromising your phone number or e-mail.
    03-11-14 01:26 AM
    When you send out that invitation to a potential BBM user that has an email associated, it actually just sends a pin request. It's like a normal invitation, but this time you don't have to punch in the whole pin number.
    It's still better than other solutions, as the person still has to accept your invitation, before you can start sending messages to them.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 01:32 AM
    But I feel PIN must be like really private. Just for the ones I really want to give it to. Emails are given to work contacts. Etc. And I really don't want them to add me on bbm through email . And they do through email. And then say hey we added you. You didn't accept :s

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 01:52 AM
    One reason I really liked bbm was due to its privacy. But its not so now. I heard the pin is now showing only in the latest version and wasn't so in the previous ones. (the latest being the glympe version) so maybe a bug.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 01:53 AM
    One reason I really liked bbm was due to its privacy. But its not so now. I heard the pin is now showing only in the latest version and wasn't so in the previous ones. (the latest being the glympe version) so maybe a bug.

Posted via CB10
    You can change the email address associated with your bbid to a private one
    https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/login/

Change the username field
    03-11-14 02:08 AM
    I already have a bbid with my private email. But contacts already added are on this bbid. Don't know how to transfer them to the other. :s

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 05:03 AM