Naive talk warning.

2B771F23 is my PIN. BBM me if there's anything that must be communicated privately. Otherwise, write it out here. I expect an educated discussion to happen. On Crackberry.

In the 20th century some people had pagers: this gave them a way to be reached, without disrupting their moment. It looks like BBM is like that now, a private way to reach out to someone.

For many people it seems to be Taboo, to think out loud about limiting access. And to talk about knowing people from whom one might want to limit access. The discussion threads in CB dealing with BBM all degenerate into a long series of yes/no between two camps, those who say BBM offers advantages and those who say no.

Privacy oriented people who I know all have a second phone in their other pocket. So, why would they use their main phone for privacy oriented actions?The cost of a phone is less than the cost of a car. Most people have a car. Many have a house too. So, why bother with saving money with a BBM service, when that service might turn out to be a dud?

I think that those who never used BBM have NO incentives to start using it. I've never used it. No-one has ever told me to use it. No-one has ever indicated to me that I should use it. Except for the friendly strangers who post in CB. All I know about BBM is what I've read in this one forum. No one else on the Web writes about it.
    Last edited by Davidro1; 02-20-14 at 04:32 PM.
    12-26-13 09:08 AM
    Naive talk warning.

2B771F23 is my PIN. BBM me if there's anything that must be communicated privately. Otherwise, write it out here. I expect an educated discussion to happen. On Crackberry.

In the 20th century some people had pagers: this gave them a way to be reached, without disrupting their moment. It looks like BBM is like that now, a private way to reach out to someone.

For many people it seems to be Taboo, to think out loud about limiting access. And to talk about knowing people from whom one might want to limit access. The discussion threads in CB dealing with BBM all degenerate into a long series of yes/no between two camps, those who say BBM offers advantages and those who say no.

Privacy oriented people who I know all have a second phone in their other pocket. So, why would they use their main phone for privacy oriented actions?The cost of a phone is less than the cost of a car. Most people have a car. Many have a house too. So, why bother with saving money with a BBM service, when that service might turn out to be a dud?

I think that those who never used BBM have NO incentives to start using it. I've never used it. No-one has ever told me to use it. No-one has ever indicated to me that I should use it. Except for the friendly strangers who post in CB. All I know about BBM is what I've read in this one forum. No one else on the Web writes about it.
    and yet millions of people couldn't wait to download it when it was released on IOS and android…

BTW nice plug… hope you get lots of new BBM friends…. smh
    12-26-13 09:47 AM
    I'm not sure what you mean by this thread. BBM is my main form of communication and collaboration. As a CB Mod Team & Ambassador Team Leader, I have groups for both my teams, and we use those groups to help facilitate the management of our work on the forums. I also belong to a couple application developer groups, we too use the BBM group function to share ideas and resources, and facilitate collaboration. Several joint apps have resulted! I'm a part of many social groups too. One on one communication via BBM is very helpful also as it provides a quick and easy way to exchange ideas AND it includes voice and video if we want it too, providing both devices support this which they often do. I'm also finding I enjoy social groups and BBM channels as well!
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    12-26-13 09:48 AM
    You can do all of that on other services. The issue isn't the quality of the service at this point. They missed the boat on launching something that was different and much better quality than competing products. The issue is incentive to move your communications hub over from Skype/Facebook Messenger/Google Hangouts/etc. over to BBM.

The issue is;

* Instant Messaging
    * Group Messaging
    * Group Management and Collaboration
    * VoIP
    * Video Calling

etc.

have all been commoditized by current services and offered by major OEMs/Companies that simply aren't going anywhere soon, so people don't see much reason to switch.

Of course the Crackberry Team & MODs uses BBM for their stuff. That's a trivial assumption. Just like the iMore people probably use FaceTime & iMessage quite a bit, the AndroidCentral People likely use Hangouts, and the WPCentral people tend to use Skype likely... People like to stick to services within their respective ecosystems, which are often pre-loaded on the phones.

I barely used Google Hangouts, but I use it almost exclusively now and 90% of that is because:

1. The 4.3 Update on my Phone Replaced Talk with Hangouts
    2. The 4.3 OS/Update on other people's phones replaced Talk with Hangouts
    3. It's simply more convenient to use a service that is preloaded on the device and integrated with the services you already use (which are integrated with the device) than to install and use a separate service and convince people to install and sign up for it.

That's the biggest hurdle to BBM adoption: The fact that BB waited 2 years too long to make it cross platform. If they had done this in 2010/11 before the IM market became as congested as it is right now, they'd have 300M+ users and it would be trivial to monetize it, IMO.
    12-26-13 02:02 PM
    Not sure if this was an opinion post or invite to BBM lol
    01-02-14 11:52 PM
    If some one is happy with texting, (one-to-one sms through their carrier's sms), what advantage would they get from bbm ??

Two months since my first post -- and still no one has shown me why bbm is good, or better. No-one in this thread and no-one in real life either.
    02-20-14 04:31 PM
    I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread o_o
    What year is this? Hahaha

David, just like the fingers on your hands aren't all equal sized, people have different minds and perspectives too. Don't get me wrong, thinking your opinion should be everyone's opinion is a very stupid opinion itself. No offense to you.

All BBM users find something useful in BBM according to their needs. For example, I like the option to know whether my message was delivered and read or not. I also like the idea of having BBM for messaging plus voice/video communication. That's just my perspective according to my needs. Likewise, others find their needs fulfilled by other functions that BBM is offering.

And again, everyone is not you David. Everyone doesn't have a car or a house. There are people using public transportation as their main means of transportation. And there are people living in rental houses.
    You mentioned you'd like to have an educated discussion... from what I read in your message, I don't think you're making a point here. An educated person has an open mind and realizes the differences around him. I hope you don't take this reply the wrong way and or personally. I certainly don't mean anything personal here, hell I don't even know you, lol

The bottom line is, if you see BBM offering you an advantage, use it... if not, SMS is always available to cater to your messaging needs.

Posted via CB10 | Z10-1, 10.2.1.537
    Last edited by Mohammed Mostafa; 02-20-14 at 05:49 PM.
    02-20-14 05:34 PM
    Keywords "Oofa bbm" to see a similar query from someone thoughtful and deep. A few months ago in crackberry.com. There are millions who don't see the need (yet) -- and no-one is sending them bbm invites either. Obviously I'm curious and eager to start using bbm. But no one...

Edit: Mohammed Mostafa, thank you. After re-reading my first post, I see it maybe hasn't aged well. Two months ago there was a certain mood in the forum, and now it's changed.
    Last edited by Davidro1; 02-20-14 at 06:11 PM.
    02-20-14 05:45 PM
    If some one is happy with texting, (one-to-one sms through their carrier's sms), what advantage would they get from bbm ??

Two months since my first post -- and still no one has shown me why bbm is good, or better. No-one in this thread and no-one in real life either.
    I hate when people say it, but this post deserves it: guy, search the forums.
    02-21-14 08:34 PM
    Naive talk warning.

Your post is barely intelligible, but it is mildly amusing. Much enjoyed!

I just convinced the lovely girl next door to download and install BBM on her iPhone (I have a BlackBerry 6 handset), and we've been having fun using it to message each other. She even made sure she enabled the push notifications so she gets my messages if the app is off on her phone. We also used the BBM voice call over wifi a couple of times just to try it. It works awesomely. It's crystal clear, more so than a phone call.
    02-21-14 08:45 PM