When I first saw the new features and tried them out, I thought 'wow, awesome!'.
    So I decided to sit with a iOS BBM friend of mine and to give it a closer look. Here is my opinion, of very subjective nature, as always:

• I think all features 'worked as designed', we did nod encounter any issues or bugs. So far, so good.
    • Timed Messages: the sender does not see the message that he sent, once it got sent, neither before nor after the timer expired. Not liked, I don't see the point, nor the technical neccessity.
    • Timed Image: sender doesn't see the image once it was sent. Not liked, same as above.
    • Timed Image: screenshot on iOS works without a problem, so the image can be captured easily. Sender gets notified that a screenshot was made. Both my friend and I agreed that this makes the feature close to pointless, as we both will get prepared for making a screenshot whenever receiving a TI, and befor tapping on it. I heard that on the Android BBM version, screenshot might be disabled as long as the TI gets viewed, this was apparently not possible to implement (or devs were not able to?) on iOS. Hoever, not liked, makes the usefulness of the feature doubtful.
    • Retracted Messages: will still (parts of it) be displayed on iOS lockscreen. Same on BB10, after iOS user retracted a previously sent message: displayed on lockscreen, not in hub. Not liked, possibly no technical way to change that on iOS, but at least in BB10, a retracted message should not show on the lockscreen.
    • General comment on the new BBM version (not related to the new features): when sendig images (timed or not), still no Ds or Rs get displayed. I always found that to be extremely annoying and not according to BBM standards. There is no technical reason for that not being possible that I can imagine. This is still unchanged in this new BBM version!?!? Really annoying.

Final opinion:

• It is nice to have the quick option to retract a message, if it got sent to the wrong receiver, or if it was in any way wrong or inappropriate. THat saves a lot of talking or writing time to inform the receiver, and to discuss what was wrong an why.
    • However, by no means can these features (both timed & retracting) be seen as a way to better protect content, as there are very easy ways to circumvent them.
    • As 'fun and nice to have' features, they are OK.
    • Would I pay for them in the future: no way. With screenshot prevention, lockscreen message deletion, and display of sent images & messages, possibly.
    • However, I think that these features were quite complex to implement from a technical perspective, therefore for me it's doubtful that it was worth the effort. I personally would have preferred to see more 'pro' features to be implemented, like e.g. voice/video calling on all platforms, and more effort to be spent on further improvements on reliability, ease of use etc., in particular on iOS. There are still LOTS of issues that make it difficult for me to convince more users to join BBM.
    Rene_Q10 likes this.
    11-02-14 04:59 AM
    The timed and retracting features are going to be paid features as far as we know. I am not sure which demographic would want to pay for them. i can't see the regular user like me using it.
    11-02-14 07:06 AM
    I agree with most of what you said but the retract message feature is annoying and stupid, they need to get rid of that!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 07:27 AM
    I agree with most of what you said but the retract message feature is annoying and stupid, they need to get rid of that!

Posted via CB10
    Like I said, nice to have, but by no means anything to write home about, nor anything to help to protect content and privacy. I guess we don't have to use it, if we don't want to!
    11-02-14 08:04 AM
    This is like government level encryption and security. Actually self destruction messages. This is great. I love stealth and privacy and of course my security!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 08:11 AM
    I think it makes sense that you can't see your timed message. Say if someone picked your phone and watched the chat? It's meant to be a secret or sensitive data

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:13 AM
    I think it makes sense that you can't see your timed message. Say if someone picked your phone and watched the chat? It's meant to be a secret or sensitive data

Posted via CB10
    Good point. Maybe BB assumed that all (most?) timed messages are highly sensitive?
    However, in that case, I would really expect that it would not be that easy to circumvent these 'security features'. BUt as the timed messages/images can be captured easily by the receiver (or the current holder of the receiving phone) anyway, I consider hiding it from the sender not really neccessary.
    11-02-14 09:45 AM
    Feels good to use the world's most secure messenger app. No history stored nothing! Close a convo and it's gone forever!!! This is great for criminals hahaha

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 12:43 PM
    I've discovered that stickers cannot be retracted! I would like this feature.

I understand an enhancement is that you can tap and hold to preview the sticker. However, retracting an errant sticker is of utmost importance.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 01:28 PM
    I've discovered that stickers cannot be retracted! I would like this feature.

I understand an enhancement is that you can tap and hold to preview the sticker. However, retracting an errant sticker is of utmost importance.

Posted via CB10
    But is it really? Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 01:31 PM