As seen today: BlackBerry to move BBM server to Indonesia - Science & Tech - The Jakarta Post

To me, I get it, but that disappoints me as a North American. So they will have the better service and we will have to travel the trans atlantic cable?

Not clear if they will keep one here, and this is BBM consumer, so really, it's been shown that it was never really as secure as we thought, but I still feel better with my data staying in Canada.

I suppose there are not that many of us using BBM here.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 06:29 AM
    Hope they keep the Indonesian spam there too.
    gugomat likes this.
    12-13-16 09:36 AM
    Lower cost of operation for BBM? How true is this news anyway?

I hear Emtek is now based in Ontario.
    12-13-16 10:00 AM
    I'd feel better if the server remained in Waterloo. I'm unsure how I feel about BBM going forward. My initial thought is I'm inclined to use it less.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.3.2049 / Telus
    DWard29 likes this.
    12-13-16 10:44 AM
    As seen today: BlackBerry to move BBM server to Indonesia - Science & Tech - The Jakarta Post

To me, I get it, but that disappoints me as a North American. So they will have the better service and we will have to travel the trans atlantic cable?

Not clear if they will keep one here, and this is BBM consumer, so really, it's been shown that it was never really as secure as we thought, but I still feel better with my data staying in Canada.

I suppose there are not that many of us using BBM here.

Posted via CB10
    I as a Canadian user am extremely disappointed. This may in fact put me over the edge and switch to signal.

I have tweeted at bbm and BlackBerry for info and comment. I would encourage you to do the same

From what I've gathered Data protection laws are very weak in Indonesia and protection and respecting consumer preferences are sorely limited.

Feel free to review for yourself. Also your spam from third parties may increase as you will have less protection against outside spam IMO again based on review of link below.

http://www.iclg.co.uk/practice-areas...haptercontent4
    12-13-16 02:43 PM
    Was just looking at signal today. Can't get people to use BBM so I might use signal if it works like my current message app. It would have to be totally reliable before I'd switch
    12-13-16 02:47 PM
    Amusing how it refers to a 'server' as if there's only one. And while we're waiting for official word, one should consider the chance that something got lost in translation here. Much like how other regions have some of their own servers in place, this sounds more like they'll be setting up a server there in addition to the other areas.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-13-16 09:17 PM
    So, does MTEK now own all the rights to BBM? They entered into a partnership with BlackBerry but I can't find anything specifically stating that BBM has been sold except for this article implying it... http://www.valuewalk.com/2016/12/bla...ver-indonesia/.

If BBM is now actually owned by Emtek, then it makes sense that the servers would be moved. At the same time it means that BlackBerry is not in control of those servers or application and I have no idea what that means for the security over the platform.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 09:19 PM
    Amusing how it refers to a 'server' as if there's only one.
    Exactly... to me it would make more sense if a server was being set up to serve Indonesia in order to improve service, but servers here will continue to operate serving north America. But that's not what's being reported...

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 09:22 PM
    So, does MTEK now own all the rights to BBM? They entered into a partnership with BlackBerry but I can't find anything specifically stating that BBM has been sold except for this article implying it... BlackBerry Moving BBM Server From Canada To Indonesia.

If BBM is now actually owned by Emtek, then it makes sense that the servers would be moved. At the same time it means that BlackBerry is not in control of those servers or application and I have no idea what that means for the security over the platform.

Posted via CB10
    What Matthew Talbot previously stated about 'ownership'.

BBM “ownership”

Second, some media outlets reported that BBM is 100% owned by Indonesia. While it’s true that Emtek has licensed the BBM software and intellectual property (IP), and will operate the platform globally and develop it for the consumer market, BlackBerry will continue to advance the platform for enterprise with BBM Protected.

We are energized by this long-term partnership. BBM is the most popular messaging application in Indonesia. Now we have the chance to build it up as a mobile platform that will empower e-commerce and other businesses. Many small businesses in Indonesia use BBM to keep in touch with their customers. Once we add payment capabilities, the sky is the limit. BBM will become an even more useful tool for offline merchants like restaurants and hospitals, allowing them to handle appointments, reservations, payments and a lot of other things.

Having BBM at the center of the mobile world makes a lot of sense. Our vision is to help consumers connect to each other and to merchants, but also to combine the data warehouse and simultaneously enhance the app’s artificial intelligence (AI) capability to better serve content to BBM users. This is about creating a mobile ecosystem. That won’t happen overnight, which is why we’re committed for the long term.
    https://blog.bbm.com/2016/10/25/emte...th-blackberry/

Indonesia has wanted BlackBerry to set up servers there for a long, long time and even threatened to kill off BIS previously. It remains a bit of a mystery if they ever did but if they didn't, then the likelihood of them doing it now for Indonesian users specifically is more plausible.

http://crackberry.com/indonesia-gove...erry-messenger
    http://crackberry.com/indonesian-bla...messenger-safe
    12-13-16 09:23 PM
    There are reported to be 60 million active monthly BBM users in Indonesia. Isn't that more than the entire population of Canada?

BBM (other than enterprise) is run by an Indonesian company with mostly Indonesian users. So running it largely out of Indonesia does make sense, right?
    Uzi likes this.
    12-13-16 09:35 PM
    BBM is run by an Indonesian company with mostly Indonesian users. So running it largely out of Indonesia does make sense, right?
    To a certain extent, yes. Having servers there to cater to that market makes complete sense, but moving the entire operation there does not make much sense at all. Unless of course, they want to spook their remaining non-Indonesian customers into switching to a different service or pressure them into BBM Enterprise lol. You know, all those security focused BBM users out there.
    12-13-16 09:39 PM
    So they shifting the consumer bbm server to Indonesia. Not too bad I'd guess. Probably might leave out BB OS BBM users as they're native and not considered as iOS or Windows or Android BBM clients.
    12-13-16 09:49 PM
    Probably might leave out BB OS BBM users as they're native and not considered as iOS or Windows or Android BBM clients.
    That's also another interesting point. Nothing Emtek has done so far has really included BBOS or BB10 users, so that's something else this info doesn't even address. Ah well, hopefully getting some clarification soon but alas heading into the holidays a lot of folks have already hit vacation mode.
    12-13-16 09:57 PM
    Unless of course, they want to spook their remaining non-Indonesian customers into switching to a different service or pressure them into BBM Enterprise lol. You know, all those security focused BBM users out there.
    Admittedly, those 11 people may be put off by this decision.
    12-13-16 10:04 PM
    https://m.detik.com/inet/read/2016/1...4/3366026/317/

I find it interesting according to that article BBM CEO Matthew talbot not using BlackBerry anymore and he no longer working for BlackBerry but for EMTEK
    12-13-16 10:15 PM
    BBM to move server from Canada to Indonesia-img_20161213_231815.png
    BBM to move server from Canada to Indonesia-img_20161213_231826.png

He doesn't, he works for BBM as the CEO.

His full description of the company is there.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 10:19 PM
    https://m.detik.com/inet/read/2016/1...4/3366026/317/

I find it interesting according to that article BBM CEO Matthew talbot not using BlackBerry anymore and he no longer working for BlackBerry but for EMTEK
    Did BlackBerry ever give more details on their licensing agreement between BlackBerry and the new BBM company? I'm specifically interested in if, and to what extent, BlackBerry will participate in the upside of the different add-on services BBM is now working on. Is the licensing fixed-price over the term of the contract?
    12-13-16 10:19 PM
    Amusing how it refers to a 'server' as if there's only one. And while we're waiting for official word, one should consider the chance that something got lost in translation here. Much like how other regions have some of their own servers in place, this sounds more like they'll be setting up a server there in addition to the other areas.
    This caught my attention as well, and I guess we have to wait and see what comes out in the proper news channels.

I was trying to imagine if this "server" is some IBM tower that they packed up and shipped over or not - lol.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 10:22 PM
    Lower cost of operation for BBM? How true is this news anyway?

I hear Emtek is now based in Ontario.
    See my pics from Matthew Talbot 's LinkedIn. He describes the organisation structure somewhat.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 10:24 PM
    I was trying to imagine if this "server" is some IBM tower that they packed up and shipped over or not - lol.
    HAL9000 running it all.

BBM to move server from Canada to Indonesia-megaserver.jpg
    12-13-16 10:28 PM
    Did BlackBerry ever give more details on their licensing agreement between BlackBerry and the new BBM company? I'm specifically interested in if, and to what extent, BlackBerry will participate in the upside of the different add-on services BBM is now working on. Is the licensing fixed-price over the term of the contract?
    All of their info has been vague at best.
    12-13-16 10:30 PM
    I find it interesting according to that article BBM CEO Matthew talbot not using BlackBerry anymore
    Falls in line with the direction of BBM of late. Nothing about BBM revolves around BB10 anymore.
    12-13-16 10:33 PM
    HAL9000 running it all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	megaserver.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	414202
    Dave, what are you doing Dave? Put that plug back in the wall Dave. I'm staying in Canada, Dave.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 and DaDaDogg like this.
    12-13-16 11:12 PM
    All of their info has been vague at best.
    Full on BlackBerry style!

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 01:56 AM
49 12