Is it possible to send BBM messages form an older BB (OS 6 [Bold 9700, to be exact]) to a OS 10 phone, and vice versa?

I've been trying to do just that for a while now but I can't get passed the pin contact authorizing. Depending on what I do, sending an invite does not get to the recipient, or accepting an invite doesn't actually accept it.

I'm thinking it can't be done between the given OS version, but I'd like a confirmation on that one. I searched for an answer, but found nothing useful.
    11-15-14 11:07 AM
    It can be done if the BBOS device has an active BIS plan.

Because, you know, BBOS devices need BIS plans enabled to do pretty much everything.
    11-15-14 11:22 AM
    That makes sense.

I've never owned a pre QNX BB so this BIS business has never occurred to me.

Thanks for answering my question.

Instead of using BBM, I installed Whatsapp on the older BB to message the Whatsapp on my z30. An imperfect solution since I'd rather use BBM.....

EDIT:

Sending from Whatsapp on OS 6 to BB10 only works for me over wifi. Strange.
    Last edited by pomidor; 11-19-14 at 06:40 AM.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-16-14 02:42 PM
    If the older Blackberry has data it must be able to use bbm? I know my BlackBerry 10 phone works fine with BlackBerry 7 phones so I can't see os6 being any different. Maybe the older BlackBerry bbm isn't set up properly because there shouldn't be a problem.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 03:30 PM
    If the older Blackberry has data it must be able to use bbm? I know my BlackBerry 10 phone works fine with BlackBerry 7 phones so I can't see os6 being any different. Maybe the older BlackBerry bbm isn't set up properly because there shouldn't be a problem.

Posted via CB10
    Older devices do not work on generic data plans. They need BIS. BBM does not work unless you have BIS enabled on your account.

OP, Whatsapp works because it does not require BIS. Call your carrier and have them activate (or rather, double check the available plans and tell them what you need - just in case they try to have you paying for two data plans).
    11-18-14 05:31 PM
    I'm guessing that BIS would cost a bit more than the current data plan. Screw it. The OS6 phone is just a backup. I'll just replace it with a Passport or Classic in a few months.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-19-14 06:47 AM