I was just going through the WebEx (what my work uses) site looking at pricing info and indeed BBM Meetings appears to offer a competitive price for their paid product in comparison.

BBM is currently being offered for $12.50/host/mo while the lowest paid tier WebEx offers is $24/host/mo (with a limit on 8 people in the meeting).

However, WebEx does offer something that BBM doesn't, and that is a WebEx Free tier allowing up to 3 people per meeting (not a free trial).

BBM Meetings should offer a free tier (like WebEx)-img_20141113_153809.png

BlackBerry should very strongly consider a limited occupancy free tier for BBM Meetings. Otherwise it will get quickly disqualified as a possible solution for those seeking a small-scale free solution to start, which (if they like and get used to it) could eventually be scaled up as their needs grow. As it stands, BBM Meetings is a strictly paid service that wouldn't even be included in a line up with Skype, Hangouts, WebEx free, TeamViewer personal, etc. Even in things like blog posts or reviews,.. it would face a significant disadvantage missing a checkmark in the "offers a free tier" column.

Posted via CB10
    Carterbits and Uzi like this.
    11-13-14 03:49 PM
    It's a fair point. I have a small business and my colleagues also run their own small businesses (but we work together for specific clients). Up to 24 people isn't that big a deal as we wouldn't get close, and nor would we use it often.

So there's a decent chance at least my area of SME will simply skip it altogether, which isn't exactly the idea.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 03:53 PM
    It's a fair point. I have a small business and my colleagues also run their own small businesses (but we work together for specific clients). Up to 24 people isn't that big a deal as we wouldn't get close, and nor would we use it often.

So there's a decent chance at least my area of SME will simply skip it altogether, which isn't exactly the idea.

Posted via CB10
    Limit of 5 times per months with 3 or less users...?
    Once people see value and things work as expected, they will buy.

Al least screen share 1:1 should be kept.

? ? ? Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    11-19-14 09:30 PM
    I think this is a very good move if BlackBerry were to offer it for free for up to 4 people in the meeting.

Why 4? Because WebEx offer 3 :-)

With this then it would be a very good case for us die hard BBM users to convince our friends & family members to switch to BBM. In this way we will also get them to use regular BBM on a regular basis. Remember the more people using BBM though it is free, will bring more money to BlackBerry. This is because of other services that we will need for pay for like stickers or maybe when BBM money finally comes.

Here in Malaysia, banks are promoting money transfer via SMS & this is an open text with no encryption. Imagine if they can use BBM which comes with encryption.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 11:12 AM
    If a business can't afford 12.50 a month. It is not a real business.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 12:49 PM
    If a business can't afford 12.50 a month. It is not a real business.

Posted via CB10
    You clearly aren't in business if that's how you interpret it.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 12:55 PM
    CB should have a day of meetings stress tests where they get all their contributors set up as hosts and they throw up post impromptu meetings to showcase the chats and video. I would love to be able to jump in a meeting to see what it's like.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 01:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    Giving it to you for free may not exactly be the idea either if BlackBerry is looking to make money from BBM meetings.

If you would not use it often it may not be for you.

I wouldn't say no to a free version either, but that doesn't stop me from wanting it, so they are creating interest and demand for it.

Perhaps we are thrown off by the comparatively fair price, perhaps if the competition offered less than 25 users, let's says up to 5 it may be the same price as BlackBerry is offering for up to 25 users. Relatively speaking BBM Meetings seems more than fair when the $ + features is compared to alternatives.
    11-21-14 01:15 AM
    Like it or not BBM Meetings is geared towards enterprise, BlackBerry hasn't eliminated the ability to do video calls with other BBM contacts.
    11-21-14 01:18 AM
    Giving it to you for free may not exactly be the idea either if BlackBerry is looking to make money from BBM meetings.

If you would not use it often it may not be for you.

I wouldn't say no to a free version either, but that doesn't stop me from wanting it, so they are creating interest and demand for it.

Perhaps we are thrown off by the comparatively fair price, perhaps if the competition offered less than 25 users, let's says up to 5 it may be the same price as BlackBerry is offering for up to 25 users. Relatively speaking BBM Meetings seems more than fair when the $ + features is compared to alternatives.
    No it wasn't really thinking in terms of it being free, something that's good can be charged for - I was more referring to a means of piquing interest for a small business where the "up to 24" tagline is fairly irrelevant.

As it stands you can see where it could appeal to a big corporation, but not where it might generate interest from a small business with the way it's priced.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 02:48 PM
    Requested the meetings trial and 60 day BES12... This should be interesting.
    11-21-14 03:48 PM
    I think this is a very good move if BlackBerry were to offer it for free for up to 4 people in the meeting.

Why 4? Because WebEx offer 3 :-)
    I don't think they can. There are threads here on CB that said BBM Meetings is actually a relabeled Zoom.us product. If true, then BlackBerry would shoulder the bill for all the free users even though BlackBerry still has to pay Zoom.us. I don't think they can afford to do that.

Seriously, it breaks down to $12.50 USD per host per month. (BBM meetings is sold in annual subscriptions of $150/host with tech support included.) Participants appear to be free. If so, it's really not. that. expensive. Small business owners can limit the subscriptions to the owner if need be. And there is no requirement to have BES installed.
    11-22-14 01:44 PM
    All meeting solutions are charged on a per host basis and all seem to offer up some sort of limited free option. I agree that BB should offer up a free option as well. Give it a 30-45 minute duration limit and limit the attendees to 3 or 4. Also, keep in mind that what we see as the per sub cost, is not always the case. I brought up BBM meetings at work as it would help with our mobile user trouble shooting, but also save money.... or so I thought. We use join.me and it turns out that we are paying $119/year per host account. We share 3 accounts in the office.
    11-22-14 02:14 PM
    Anyone got their trial yet??

What I wonder now is how people will react to it being *free* for everyone who isn't the host.... Not too bad really.
    11-22-14 03:38 PM
    Anyone got their trial yet??

What I wonder now is how people will react to it being *free* for everyone who isn't the host.... Not too bad really.
    All web/virtual meeting programs are free for the attendees. The host account is the only one that is ever paid for.
    11-22-14 04:11 PM