BBM being limited to one device at a time is not such a good strategy according to me. Many users like me like to carry two devices at a time. I carry a Z10 as the primary and one other device which may be a Q5 or a legacy device. I am however only allowed to BBM from one of the devices with one BlackBerry ID. I would not want to use multipe IDs due to the fact that I have my contacts synced on this ID and I have always made all my purchases on BB World using the same ID along the years.

Switching accounts from one device to other is not such a smooth process as it takes almost 10 to 15 minutes for all contacts, groups and channels to sync to the device and cannot be done regularly. It is unfortunate that I cannot use BlackBerry's iconic service on a BlackBerry due to this restriction. The same is also true for BB world (One BB10, one legacy and one PB at a time). This really dents my chances of buying multiple BlackBerrys to maintain the ecosystem and does not improve the chances of endorsing myself into the BlackBerry ecosystem.

BlackBerry should take a cue from its competitors such as Apple who allow upto 5 users per Apple ID. They also allow aliases so that multiple persons within a family can use the iMessage and FaceTime services maintaining individuality while still sharing the purchases. Such a process encourages all members of one family to buy into the same ecosystem. BlackBerry, in my opinion is being left behind due to such a restriction.

It is only because of this restriction that BlackBerry may never allow a stand alone BBM app on the PlayBook or the recent Desktop implementation that requires you to connect to the BlackBerry via Bluetooth or WiFi. This is unnecessary IMO as it only is draining battery from your device and battery is one of the critical limitation as per the current technological advances in mobile computing. It is going to be an even bigger limitation as BBM is going cross platform.

Recently, I came across a post with the headline BlackBerry Will Release A Painful-To-Use BBM App For Desktops | TechCrunch, and I took onto reading the article in the hope of criticizing it in the comments but as I finished, I could not help but agree with most of the points stated in the article. The article is written in a negative tone but try and think over the points made in it.

What are your thoughts #TeamBlackBerry
    GoGibbons likes this.
    09-26-13 10:08 PM
    I can understand two devices - I've frequently been spotted with a BlackBerry and other random device - but why two BlackBerry's?
    09-26-13 10:18 PM
    Synchronizing different mobile devices on the same messaging account is very difficult. Apple took a very long time to get it right and sometimes it still doesn't work. The problem with BlackBerry is that nobody with a BlackBerry smartphone ever had to synchronize their message with their stand-alone Blackberry tablet or PC so it wasn't a problem. Now that they are trying to go cross-platform they have to deal with users who very often have multiple mobile devices. It's a difficult problem that I don't think BlackBerry will ever get a chance to solve. Welcome to the social media big leagues, BlackBerry.
    09-26-13 10:25 PM
    There people who like BIS and would want a legacy just for it.

I can understand two devices - I've frequently been spotted with a BlackBerry and other random device - but why two BlackBerry's?
    09-26-13 10:35 PM
    I would guess BB has been in the IM game with BBM much longer than Apple (iMessage).

Synchronizing different mobile devices on the same messaging account is very difficult. Apple took a very long time to get it right and sometimes it still doesn't work. The problem with BlackBerry is that nobody with a BlackBerry smartphone ever had to synchronize their message with their stand-alone Blackberry tablet or PC so it wasn't a problem. Now that they are trying to go cross-platform they have to deal with users who very often have multiple mobile devices. It's a difficult problem that I don't think BlackBerry will ever get a chance to solve. Welcome to the social media big leagues, BlackBerry.
    09-26-13 10:37 PM
    Atleast setup a forwarder type system that would allow u forward on BBM messages to other devices. Or have mutliple.pins tied to your bbid account

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-27-13 11:28 AM
    I disagree, one time i looked on my facebook and it was logged onto like 6 devices at once. I like how its only one device feels more secure, i have 2 blackberry 10s now and 2 ids.
    09-27-13 12:48 PM
    I disagree, one time i looked on my facebook and it was logged onto like 6 devices at once. I like how its only one device feels more secure, i have 2 blackberry 10s now and 2 ids.
    That is the whole point. I don't think I should be maintaining two accounts to carry two devices since I will have to buy the same app twice.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 01:40 PM
    BBM is free, but I agree multiple devices would make it at least competitive with iMessage.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 11:52 PM
    BBM is free, but I agree multiple devices would make it at least competitive with iMessage.

Posted via CB10
    It would definitely give a family an option to buy into the ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 04:50 PM
    I would love to have my Bbm linked to multiple devices.

I have to carry 2 devices all the time and the only reason both are not BlackBerry's I'd that I can't have my BBID on both devices for BBM.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 09:45 AM
    Multiple device access would be more convenient for me.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-04-13 09:56 AM
    @OP, who knows what is going to happen with BBM. But, all the other apps that followed after BBM(Whatsapp, and others), I'm sure they're all set up for single devices. IMO, mutiple devices on BBM: me and wife or my son, that would be a PITA. I have carried two BlackBerries at one time and I would not want it- if one was for work and the other personal which was the situation for me. However, it could be an advantage if allowed to pick either my z10 or my SGlll.

I carried two- one personal and one issued by my job for eight years. It was mandatory to use the ....older issued model and mine was always newer.
    10-04-13 11:02 AM
    i think it makes sense to limit the app to one device to avoid server overload distributing the same message multiple times to god knows how many devices people will use.
    almost all messaging apps, like whatsapp, kik etc.. limit to 1 device. its done that way for a good reason.
    i installed whatsapp on my ipad thanks to a jailbreak trick and a disposable number, so at least my group chats are syncd there, which is super cool. but i can see the overload if everyone was as tech savvy as me.
    10-04-13 02:42 PM
    @OP, who knows what is going to happen with BBM. But, all the other apps that followed after BBM(Whatsapp, and others), I'm sure they're all set up for single devices. IMO, mutiple devices on BBM: me and wife or my son, that would be a PITA. I have carried two BlackBerries at one time and I would not want it- if one was for work and the other personal which was the situation for me. However, it could be an advantage if allowed to pick either my z10 or my SGlll.

I carried two- one personal and one issued by my job for eight years. It was mandatory to use the ....older issued model and mine was always newer.
    I think what he meant was that who in their right minds would choose another blackberry to complement their work blackberry. even if its a newer model, i mean why not iphone or SG4 or note or anything? they are leap years ahead.
    10-04-13 02:45 PM
    i think it makes sense to limit the app to one device to avoid server overload distributing the same message multiple times to god knows how many devices people will use.
    almost all messaging apps, like whatsapp, kik etc.. limit to 1 device. its done that way for a good reason.
    i installed whatsapp on my ipad thanks to a jailbreak trick and a disposable number, so at least my group chats are syncd there, which is super cool. but i can see the overload if everyone was as tech savvy as me.
    I didn't know other services limit to one device, though in Whatsapp's case, it kind of makes sense with its dependence on phone numbers.

Google Talk/Hangouts doesn't, though, and it works well for me that way.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-04-13 02:46 PM
    you can install the app on all your compatible devices, however the account you use for each one will be unique, based on pin, or phone number or some kinds of ID account (email etc..).

yes, some apps like gtalk , facebook messenger and skype allow multiple devices with same account.

I didn't know other services limit to one device, though in Whatsapp's case, it kind of makes sense with its dependence on phone numbers.

10-04-13 02:49 PM
    i don't see the point of this...

whatsapp is even worse. you HAVE to keep the same phone number.
    10-05-13 01:28 PM
    i don't see the point of this...

whatsapp is even worse. you HAVE to keep the same phone number.
    WhatsApp is not the same kind of service. It's an SMS Replacement service, so it makes sense that you have to keep the same phone number otherwise your contacts won't be able to text you. Only difference between WhatsApp and SMS/MMS is the Sent/Delivery Report is automatic and seamless, and it uses a dataplan instead. WhatsApp is comparable to iMessage, which is not comparable to traditional Messaging Services like Skype, BBM, Kik, etc.

I'm still wondering why people cannot see the difference, and that difference is the reason why traditional messaging services still will not supplant WhatsApp, the automatic nature that a few people bemoan is one of its biggest selling points - just as with iMessage. As long as you can Block People (something iMessage/FaceTime implemented in iOS 7), they are good with that.

That being said, the nature of Apple's services allows them to use an Apple ID as well, just as Skype can use a Microsoft Account once the accounts are linked and Hangouts can use the Google Account when used off of a telephone (and ChatOn can use a Samsung account on non-phone devices).

The big advantage of those services over BBM is that they can be used independent of a cell phone. Even if you don't own a cell phone, you can still use those services. You don't even have to use a Cell Phone to set it up. BBM is different, and that's a disadvantage. When someone is sitting in front of a PC, a Web or Desktop Client is much better. The current solution they are looking into with BBM (which basically requires your phone to be tethered to your PC) is not good enough, IMO. That's great for sending/recieving Texts from your PC (Kies Air Message, for example), but not for using a non-SMS messaging client from a PC. People expect SMS/MMS to be device bound, but not necessarily messaging services like BBM, Hangouts, Skype, ChatON, LINE, Facebook Messenger, etc.
    10-05-13 10:54 PM

An example is WeChat. You can only log in to one device at any given point. The other device will automatically be logged off. Messages don't get transferred but contacts stay.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 11:53 PM
    An example is WeChat. You can only log in to one device at any given point. The other device will automatically be logged off. Messages don't get transferred but contacts stay.

Posted via CB10
    BBM is a much bigger service than Wechat and the integration to BlackBerry ID differentiates it from services such as WhatsApp or Wechat.

I can have two different devices on the same BlackBerry ID and yet active Wechat or WhatsApp on both devices.

The reason why I would want the same BlackBerry ID is that I would not have to buy the same app twice on different devices, something that is possible on an iPhone.

This would discourage family members to buy devices if they want to maintain the same BlackBerry ID on all devices with separate aliases (such as the iconic BlackBerry pin) in order to save cost on apps, music and videos bought through the BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 01:16 AM
    BBM is a much bigger service than Wechat and the integration to BlackBerry ID differentiates it from services such as WhatsApp or Wechat.

I can have two different devices on the same BlackBerry ID and yet active Wechat or WhatsApp on both devices.

The reason why I would want the same BlackBerry ID is that I would not have to buy the same app twice on different devices, something that is possible on an iPhone.

This would discourage family members to buy devices if they want to maintain the same BlackBerry ID on all devices with separate aliases (such as the iconic BlackBerry pin) in order to save cost on apps, music and videos bought through the BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    The title is misleading. BBM and BBW are two separate services. They both use BlackBerry ID but it doesn't mean that one is dependent on the other.

BlackBerry ID cannot be used for BBM on two separate devices but is possible for BBW.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rowan M; 10-06-13 at 07:28 AM.
    10-06-13 06:56 AM
    I agree it does suck. It should be like most messengers where it doesn't matter if you're on a phone, tablet or computer you get the same ID and same contacts no matter what you're using.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-06-13 07:51 AM
    I understand the point and I agree with the fact that multiple devices can be a problem but BBM has always been restricted to a single PIN and contacts have always been needed to either be restored or reinvited when you get a new device which always came with a new pin. I always thought this was to restrict which device the message was going to. I believe you are still able to login to BBW on as many phones as you like but even in legacy devices, often times the codes for paid apps were pin dependent and you had to ask developers for a new code if you switched devices.

Basically, I think nothing has changed. It's not a new limitation. It's just the continuation of the original limitation. Lets see how it works out once it goes cross platform. Who knows, maybe something will change.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 08:10 AM
    I understand the point and I agree with the fact that multiple devices can be a problem but BBM has always been restricted to a single PIN and contacts have always been needed to either be restored or reinvited when you get a new device which always came with a new pin. I always thought this was to restrict which device the message was going to. I believe you are still able to login to BBW on as many phones as you like but even in legacy devices, often times the codes for paid apps were pin dependent and you had to ask developers for a new code if you switched devices.

Basically, I think nothing has changed. It's not a new limitation. It's just the continuation of the original limitation. Lets see how it works out once it goes cross platform. Who knows, maybe something will change.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry screwed up BBM launch with the existing setup, doubt they will do such a huge change in the BBM design. Not any time soon at least.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 02:07 PM
28 12