I've always wanted to try using BBM but couldn't because I'm on a legacy device. However, I noticed the description on BBworld has changed to "Talk to friends around the world - free over wifi". So I'm guessing I could use it through wifi now right? So I went a tried it out.. but I'm stuck with "setting up BBM". I tried restarting but no improvement. Is it really possible to use BBM over wifi on a legacy device?

I'm using Curve 9300 by the way. BBM version 8.1.0.20.
    02-16-14 07:12 AM
    Yes. I'm on legacy, and BBM works over wifi. Maybe "talk" means voice; I have to be on wifi for BBM voice to work. The ad probably means that you can make free voice calls on BBM if you're on wifi.
    02-16-14 07:31 AM
    I've always wanted to try using BBM but couldn't because I'm on a legacy device. However, I noticed the description on BBworld has changed to "Talk to friends around the world - free over wifi". So I'm guessing I could use it through wifi now right? So I went a tried it out.. but I'm stuck with "setting up BBM". I tried restarting but no improvement. Is it really possible to use BBM over wifi on a legacy device?

I'm using Curve 9300 by the way. BBM version 8.1.0.20.
    To use all the features of a legacy device you need the correct data on the phone to make it work properly. Once that data is on you can use wifi for speed with downloading etc and to use BBM voice calls. You won't get BBM video calls as there is no front camera. The data you need is Blackberry internet services....BIS.....and once that is on you can set up email accounts, use the Blackberry apps and Blackberry World and of course, BBM.

Until BIS data is on the phone you will only see the setting up BBM screen. Call your network to set up Blackberry internet services.
    02-16-14 07:36 AM
    It does. Just turned off my mobile data and am chatting away on BBM.
    02-16-14 07:39 AM
    True. But as afl77 mentioned, the op needs an active BlackBerry data plan (BIS) from his carrier for BBM to work at all.
    kbz1960 and sk8er_tor like this.
    02-16-14 07:43 AM
    True. But as afl77 mentioned, the op needs an active BlackBerry data plan (BIS) from his carrier for BBM to work at all.
    Yes. I didn't notice the OP doesn't have a plan.
    02-16-14 07:57 AM
    If you have an engine with petrol in but no spark plugs, you would assume cos there is fuel it should work.....but you need the spark plugs for the spark to ignite the petrol.

You can use a Blackberry legacy on wifi.....but you need the special data in the BIS to make it work....
    02-16-14 08:57 AM
    If you have an engine with petrol in but no spark plugs, you would assume cos there is fuel it should work.....but you need the spark plugs for the spark to ignite the petrol.

You can use a Blackberry legacy on wifi.....but you need the special data in the BIS to make it work....
    Of course. I saw nothing in the OP about not having a BIS plan.
    02-16-14 09:03 AM
    sorry don't mean to high jack the thread... but on my curve 9380 i can't make or recieve bbm voice calls, i'm connected to wifi, i have BIS with data and i've OS version 7 and bbm version 8 (the latest one just released 3 days ago).

i've made a seperate thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ilable-906095/

would appreciate if anyone can help me out.

thank you.
    02-16-14 09:12 AM
    sorry don't mean to high jack the thread... but on my curve 9380 i can't make or recieve bbm voice calls, i'm connected to wifi, i have BIS with data and i've OS version 7 and bbm version 8 (the latest one just released 3 days ago).
    Some governments don't allow BBM Voice because they can't (or it's difficult) to snoop on their loyal subjects. I know based on other reports, it's for sure blocked in UAE. Not sure about KSA.
    02-16-14 09:43 AM
    Ohhhhh so that's what I was missing! Thanks guys! Yeah, I don't have BIS yet. I'll try to get it set up. Excited to finally get to try BBM!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-17-14 05:09 AM
    I have an old Storm 2 from verizon that is no longer registered on their network, but somehow bbm and email still work on it through wifi. I wish I could figure out how so I could set it up on an old curve.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 05:24 AM