01-20-14 10:18 AM
169 ... 34567
tools
    It's confusing. I think so. Or at least they can't have it shut for very long.

I think if they've just closed it, it still works. I think if they do a Force Close or have it closed for a while, it doesn't.

I think when you close an app in iOS, it isn't really closed until you open so many others (or wait a long enough time), then it really closes to save memory.

I don't know, but that's the only explanation I can think that describes the situation with iPhone and BBM.

That BlackBerry didn't understand this and make this known to users is, well, an example of their extreme ineptness.

Posted via CB10
    I'm afraid you are right.
    I was sitting with an iOS friend yesterday, and we couldn't really figure out when a messages was delivered instantly and when not. Sometimes when he closed BBM, it got delivered instantly, sometimes with a very long delay, sometimes not at all untill he openend BBM and the message.
    I hope there IS a way how to make this work on iOS, and I hope BBRY figures out. This is probably the most essential feature of a messaging application, to deliver a message instantly, regardless of the app being opened or not, and to inform the user of its arrival.
    11-16-13 02:55 PM
    Do they have to keep the app open to receive messages!?

Posted via CB10
    No :/

C001230B6 New wallpapers for your BB10 device
    11-16-13 04:17 PM
    Do they have to keep the app open to receive messages!?

Posted via CB10
    No. BBM seems to get a little confused though. When you send a BBM to an iPhone user, they can receive the message right away. BUT until they open BBM, only the gray checkmark will show on your end. Once they open BBM the checkmark will turn into a "D." It's really unfortunate that this happens because it defeats the purpose of "D."

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    11-16-13 05:47 PM
    Sorry double post and can't delete from this app.
    11-16-13 05:49 PM
    Yes, but it will show notification they have messages when closed.
    And the sending won't know his message has been delivered. Until the app is opened. Don't forget that important point.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:07 PM
    I'm afraid you are right.
    I was sitting with an iOS friend yesterday, and we couldn't really figure out when a messages was delivered instantly and when not. Sometimes when he closed BBM, it got delivered instantly, sometimes with a very long delay, sometimes not at all untill he openend BBM and the message.
    I hope there IS a way how to make this work on iOS, and I hope BBRY figures out. This is probably the most essential feature of a messaging application, to deliver a message instantly, regardless of the app being opened or not, and to inform the user of its arrival.
    I hope they figure it out to, and two weeks ago they were trying. I have first had knowledge of this. I expect they've given up at this point. BBM isn't exactly the blow out success it was supposed to be, probably, in large part, because of its bugginess at launch.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:09 PM
    No :/

C001230B6 New wallpapers for your BB10 device
    Wrong.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:10 PM
    No. BBM seems to get a little confused though. When you send a BBM to an iPhone user, they can receive the message right away. BUT until they open BBM, only the gray checkmark will show on your end. Once they open BBM the checkmark will turn into a "D." It's really unfortunate that this happens because it defeats the purpose of "D."

It's not always like that. I've also seen the D, yet the person only saw the message two days leter when they opened the App. It's a complete disaster with iOS. Zero consistency. Zero reliability. I can't even confidently BBM my work group about a meeting, because I don't know if the iphone users will get it, so we're back on texts and Whatsapp. I'm sure that the outcome BlackBerry was longing for...

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:11 PM
    It's not always like that. I've also seen the D, yet the person only saw the message two days leter when they opened the App. It's a complete disaster with iOS. Zero consistency. Zero reliability. I can't even confidently BBM my work group about a meeting, because I don't know if the iphone users will get it, so we're back on texts and Whatsapp. I'm sure that the outcome BlackBerry was longing for...

Posted via CB10
    I have not experienced this particular issue yet (luckily), but I'm not entirely surprised that it happens.

11-16-13 06:18 PM
    FYI...
    Running the latest BBM on my iPhone and with BBM completely shut down, I still get the notifications when receiving a BBM message. There was a noticeable improvement after the update. Messages between the iPhone and my Z10 were instant. Changing status registered immediately as well. So, just the "D" needs addressing.
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 11-16-13 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling oops.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-16-13 09:06 PM
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but were I Google/Apple, I'd work hard to neuter BBM on their systems, knowing full well the vast overwhelming majority would blame BlackBerry and drop BBM.

Yahoo messenger, Google talk, Microsoft Live, AIM, etc are all examples of cross platform apps requiring the user have it open on most platforms. There's not one app I can think of considered flawless by any stretch. Think about it, BBM4ALL has been out days, not months or years. There's a vast spectrum of android OS, native and modified to deal with (not to mention the fake BBM apps), and iOS' has its own complications. I'd say it's doing pretty well. Maybe in hindsight, they should have skipped groups on initial release, and focused on ensuring messaging was solid first. I know they tested hard. Much harder I bet than most would ever fathom.

Wonder how many whatsapp groups were started and dropped their first year........
    Ecm likes this.
    11-16-13 11:06 PM
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but were I Google/Apple, I'd work hard to neuter BBM on their systems, knowing full well the vast overwhelming majority would blame BlackBerry and drop BBM.

Yahoo messenger, Google talk, Microsoft Live, AIM, etc are all examples of cross platform apps requiring the user have it open on most platforms. There's not one app I can think of considered flawless by any stretch. Think about it, BBM4ALL has been out days, not months or years. There's a vast spectrum of android OS, native and modified to deal with (not to mention the fake BBM apps), and iOS' has its own complications. I'd say it's doing pretty well. Maybe in hindsight, they should have skipped groups on initial release, and focused on ensuring messaging was solid first. I know they tested hard. Much harder I bet than most would ever fathom.

Wonder how many whatsapp groups were started and dropped their first year........
    Ahhh. The old "it's a new platform, give them a break!" excuse - classic.
    11-17-13 08:59 AM
    Ahhh. The old "it's a new platform, give them a break!" excuse - classic.
    Do you have anything constructive to add?
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    11-17-13 09:10 AM
    Do you have anything constructive to add?
    All day. Every day.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 09:22 AM
    [warn]Any more of this pointless personal sparring and I will ban all combatants without further warning. Now get on-topic or zip it.[/warn]
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-17-13 09:33 AM
    How come I'm not getting the d and r. Just a check mark?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 09:53 AM
    I just lost a vote within the circle of my friends, which are (were?) all part of my BBM group. I made them join BBM after it was released, they are all iOS users, 7 guys in total. I'm the only one with a BB.
    The vote was about whether or not we should stick to BBM,or move back to Whatsapp. I was the only one who voted for BBM and therefore lost. These were their reasons for voting for Whatsapp:

• buggy overall BBM behaviour. Unclear icons like red Xes, clocks etc., and no real indication of whether or not the message was delivered, vanishing images, groups not reestablishing themselves after a phone change without somebody else entereing it.
    • Inconsistent reaction on arriving messages - notification sometimes instantly, sometimes significantly delayed, sometimes never.
    • group notifications sometimes show the red indicator for new items, but then entering the group, there is no more hint on where/if there really was an update. I saw it, this really happens.
    • clumsy invitation process. They like the barcode scanning, but still have no other BBM friends than the ones in the group (which I invited actually), because the system doesn't tell them who else is on BBM and who they could connect to.
    • Handling being generally more complicated than @ Whatsapp (at least in their eyes). Whatsapp is just type & go, in BBM they have to always chew over how to do what they want to do.
    • other than Whatsapp, BBM does not allow for typing in landscape mode. Typing in portrait mode on an iPhone is a nightmare (I tried it). Major issue for most group members.

There were a few more issues they moaned about but these were the main ones. Don't believe I didn't fight and argue in favour of BBM - without me, they would have never discovered BBM and also they would have given up after a few days of usage already. Now I'm very sceptical over the whole BBM situation.
    Last edited by gnirkatto; 11-17-13 at 10:51 AM.
    11-17-13 10:37 AM
    How come I'm not getting the d and r. Just a check mark?
    Because BlackBerry did a poor job with BBM-cross platform. It is chalk full of glitches and bugs, not the least of which is inconsistent Delivery notifications. There is no solution right now. They claim to be working on it, but my guess is that they've simply given up a this point. BBM-cross platform was a failed launch. Failed initially when they botched the launch, and failed again when they launched this bug-filled app. Given its massive initial download numbers and subsequent plummeting in the charts, it's clear that most people feel the same way. They gave it a shot, it's full of problems and glitches like everything BlackBerry, and now they've moved back to WhatsApp or texting or whatever. Oh well...pretty much all that can be expected of BlackBerry these days.
    11-17-13 12:27 PM
    Dupedupedupe
    11-17-13 12:27 PM
    I just lost a vote within the circle of my friends, which are (were?) all part of my BBM group. I made them join BBM after it was released, they are all iOS users, 7 guys in total. I'm the only one with a BB.
    The vote was about whether or not we should stick to BBM,or move back to Whatsapp. I was the only one who voted for BBM and therefore lost. These were their reasons for voting for Whatsapp:

• buggy overall BBM behaviour. Unclear icons like red Xes, clocks etc., and no real indication of whether or not the message was delivered, vanishing images, groups not reestablishing themselves after a phone change without somebody else entereing it.
    • Inconsistent reaction on arriving messages - notification sometimes instantly, sometimes significantly delayed, sometimes never.
    • group notifications sometimes show the red indicator for new items, but then entering the group, there is no more hint on where/if there really was an update. I saw it, this really happens.
    • clumsy invitation process. They like the barcode scanning, but still have no other BBM friends than the ones in the group (which I invited actually), because the system doesn't tell them who else is on BBM and who they could connect to.
    • Handling being generally more complicated than @ Whatsapp (at least in their eyes). Whatsapp is just type & go, in BBM they have to always chew over how to do what they want to do.
    • other than Whatsapp, BBM does not allow for typing in landscape mode. Typing in portrait mode on an iPhone is a nightmare (I tried it). Major issue for most group members.

There were a few more issues they moaned about but these were the main ones. Don't believe I didn't fight and argue in favour of BBM - without me, they would have never discovered BBM and also they would have given up after a few days of usage already. Now I'm very sceptical over the whole BBM situation.
    Yup. Pretty much sums up the experience of everyone I know. It was novel to give it a try. There was some nostalgia for it. It was extremely badly programmed. It didn't work right. Whatever, move back to what worked before. Sad, really...likely BlackBerry's last chance to make a favorable impression with the mass consumer market, once again, botched.
    11-17-13 12:30 PM
    You should go for some counselling!

Posted by my gorgeous Z30
    11-17-13 03:49 PM
    You should go for some counselling!

Posted by my gorgeous Z30
    Lol. Not that sad. Still have my q10 that I like. Just wish bbm was more well implemented so more people would use it.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 04:49 PM
    All BBM message pending today when I send from My Z10 to all my contact, but I still can receive message from them
    Running OS 10.2.0.1803
    11-19-13 06:40 AM
    Yup. Pretty much sums up the experience of everyone I know. It was novel to give it a try. There was some nostalgia for it. It was extremely badly programmed. It didn't work right. Whatever, move back to what worked before. Sad, really...likely BlackBerry's last chance to make a favorable impression with the mass consumer market, once again, botched.
    Here's an interesting Forbes article ...

"BBM Shows Surprising Resilience - BlackBerry Becoming A Major Messaging App Challenger"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuit...pp-challenger/

11-19-13 12:45 PM

No wonder each IOS updates removed a system font causing BBM to crash !!
    11-20-13 03:49 AM
169 ... 34567