It's so frustrating to see some of my friends refuse to use BBM just simply because it's a BlackBerry product. Has the BlackBerry brand name sunk so low?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:17 AM
    It's so frustrating to see some of my friends refuse to use BBM just simply because it's a BlackBerry product. Has the BlackBerry brand name sunk so low?

Posted via CB10
    I had the same issue. The solution was to uninstall WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    zensen and DiegoV_G like this.
    12-28-13 05:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I know a lot of people who refuse to download it for the same reason, stupid reason if you ask me!!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 11:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    I guess those are trendy type with latest sun glasses of R-brand? Spare me. :-).

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:52 PM
    It's unbelievable when someone within a WhatsApp group mentioned something about renewal fees for WhatsApp, I suggested moving to BBM, another person suggested Viber... another case of BlackBerry hating. *sigh*

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 01:25 AM
    I suppose people love using messaging apps that have spying software built in. In the meantime I will continue to use BBM, the most secure and robust messaging app ever built to date. And it continues to get better. This BlackBerry hatred is ridiculous and starting to get old.

People are very miss-informed. Just as a Teenager who invented the SmartPhone? Push e-mail, etc., and they will probably say Apple LOL.
    12-29-13 01:35 AM
    I suppose people love using messaging apps that have spying software built in. In the meantime I will continue to use BBM, the most secure and robust messaging app ever built to date. And it continues to get better. This BlackBerry hatred is ridiculous and starting to get old.

People are very miss-informed. Just as a Teenager who invented the SmartPhone? Push e-mail, etc., and they will probably say Apple LOL.
    Many feel the same about the WhatsApp and Apple/Google Hatred. Or maybe, they don't care and aren't emotionally attached to a software product like you seem to be? Not everyone drinks the same Kool-aid you do...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    12-29-13 01:43 AM

While BBM certainly has it's advantages, it is far from the most secure messaging app ever built. For people to enjoy privacy, they really should understand what their messengers claim to provide. BlackBerry themselves note that PIN messages are "scrambled, not encrypted". The messages are encrypted with 3DES in encrypt-decrypt-encrypt mode (using 2 56-bit keys), which is fine, but the PIN key is set at the factory by BlackBerry and common to every blackberry device in the world. That would certainly be known to every intelligence service and Russian hacker forum in the world.

If you have the iOS version of BBM you can see that at some point the messages are decrypted before they reach the end device - the push messages include a message preview, thus the messages must be decrypted before delivery to the endpoint. Messengers that provide end-to-end encryption cannot push the message preview (and you see that in applications like Threema or Wickr - only a notification that a message is available is sent, not a preview of the content).

I half suspect that BBM has abandoned encryption completely, but I haven't seen any documentation to that effect yet.
    milo53 likes this.
    12-29-13 01:50 AM
    Has the BlackBerry brand name sunk so low?

Posted via CB10
    Yyyyeeeeeeep

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 04:34 AM
    While BBM certainly has it's advantages, it is far from the most secure messaging app ever built. For people to enjoy privacy, they really should understand what their messengers claim to provide. BlackBerry themselves note that PIN messages are "scrambled, not encrypted". The messages are encrypted with 3DES in encrypt-decrypt-encrypt mode (using 2 56-bit keys), which is fine, but the PIN key is set at the factory by BlackBerry and common to every blackberry device in the world. That would certainly be known to every intelligence service and Russian hacker forum in the world.

If you have the iOS version of BBM you can see that at some point the messages are decrypted before they reach the end device - the push messages include a message preview, thus the messages must be decrypted before delivery to the endpoint. Messengers that provide end-to-end encryption cannot push the message preview (and you see that in applications like Threema or Wickr - only a notification that a message is available is sent, not a preview of the content).

I half suspect that BBM has abandoned encryption completely, but I haven't seen any documentation to that effect yet.
    BBM doesn't work that way. Messages are delivered in one go. When you see the preview, the message is already on your device. Next time you get a BBM message, disconnect from the network and tap on the preview. You'll notice the message will open because it was already on your device.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:55 AM
    BBM doesn't work that way. Messages are delivered in one go. When you see the preview, the message is already on your device.

Posted via CB10
    On iOS (at least prior to iOS 7), that wasn't possible. The local app couldn't run in the background all the time to provide the decryption needed to generate the message.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    12-29-13 11:57 AM
    On iOS (at least prior to iOS 7), that wasn't possible. The local app couldn't run in the background all the time to provide the decryption needed to generate the message.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    You are right, just checked on my iPad running iOS 7. It's a limitation of iOS: poor headless app support. According to Apple, apps can only refresh content in the background, not run decryption algorithms. And even refreshing content can only be done for 30 seconds. The BlackBerry 10 app works as expected though. As soon as you see the preview, the message is on your phone.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-29-13 02:00 PM
    BlackBerry's name is fairly destroyed in the view of the average consumer. When they hear the name BlackBerry in anything they think of rebooting, outdated, under promising, not working correctly and constant glitching. Have managed to turn a few of them towards thinking the better of BlackBerry tho, due to BB10 and x-platform BBM, because most of them did miss BBM and the keyboard, but were turned off at the old legacy OS

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 02:06 PM