Something else to note, at home my Q10 barely has signal depending on where I am in the home so I'm using wifi for most communications there for it. I just checked the iPhone and it too had wifi turned on, it's hit or miss if it does since I usually turn it off so I can play some games at work in slow times =P

That may play a part as well, I don't know.

Posted via CB10
    I know there is a hierarchy of signals...the phone seeks one first but I don't remember what it chooses as having precedence. Heard that discussion some time back but I can't recall.

It's not that clear cut, the answer.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    01-14-14 09:10 AM
    And just tried it again. One hour later. BBM closed.

Got the D.

01-14-14 09:12 AM
    I'm fairly certain from my own experiences with the devices on hand that when it's a data oriented request, if a wifi connection is present, it will use that over the cellular network.

I know I've seen on my past devices though that there are some preferences on a BlackBerry that can be changed with regards to data priorities.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 09:24 AM
    I guess that's the difference then between a 5S and a 4/4S/5. As soon as we close the app we stop receiving the D when we send a message.

If BBM has been closed for an extended period of time, we stop receiving the push notification as well. In my case it was a little more extreme since I had to completely relog into BBM on the iPhone all together.

But even with the app closed now, I still got the push and the badging of the BBM icon is correct in showing the number of messages waiting.

I'm going to do another test here in a bit where I shut down the iPhone and restart it from scratch, not touching BBM and see if the push and badging still comes thru properly.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 09:34 AM
    And the 5s keeps sending the D regardless of the app being closed.

With the wrinkle that sometimes there is a failure on the D.

THAT is the fun part, finding that failure on the D which seems to happen, for me, at home but not in DC.

Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-14-14 at 10:02 AM.
    01-14-14 09:45 AM
    I agree, that failure may be difficult to nail down though as it doesn't seem to happen that often for you

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 10:01 AM
    I've just thought of something else to try out, we've been testing BB to iPhone and seeing the different behaviours there. Does anyone know if there is a difference in behaviour between iPhone to iPhone? BB to Android? iPhone to Android?

Might be something to look at as well if possible.
    01-14-14 10:31 AM
    Working ok for me
    01-14-14 10:33 AM
    All I found out on a 4S is that the app doesn't go into suspend mode if someone keeps sending messages to that phone continually until 50 minutes or an hour has passed, and goes into suspend mode in about 15 mins if no one was sending anything and the app wasn't opened.

One thing to put into consideration though, does having the iPhone plugged in make any difference?

I want to try this but I'm so tired atm from all the exams I had today, I will try this as soon as I wake up though, hope you guys give it a try too because these iPhones behave differently for a reason and we gotta find it out *sunglasses face* lol

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:11 PM
    All I found out on a 4S is that the app doesn't go into suspend mode if someone keeps sending messages to that phone continually until 50 minutes or an hour has passed, and goes into suspend mode in about 15 mins if no one was sending anything and the app wasn't opened.

One thing to put into consideration though, does having the iPhone plugged in make any difference?

I want to try this but I'm so tired atm from all the exams I had today, I will try this as soon as I wake up though, hope you guys give it a try too because these iPhones behave differently for a reason and we gotta find it out *sunglasses face* lol

Posted via CB10
    Yah I'd heard about the 15 minute suspend, but on my iPhone 5s the Q10 got the D even after the phone was idle with no messages for an hour.

01-14-14 12:23 PM
    Yah I'd heard about the 15 minute suspend, but on my iPhone 5s the Q10 got the D even after the phone was idle with no messages for an hour.

Was it plugged in?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:40 PM
    What I'm seeing with my Q10 and 4S is if the app is open on the iPhone, even after 10 hours, I get the D right away, but as soon as I close the app by swiping it away, it's immediately suspended and I get the grey check on the Q10.

Over my lunch I did the test that I mentioned earlier about rebooting the iPhone. After it came back up, I still got the grey check on the Q10 which I expected, and the iPhone received the push and proper badging of the BBM icon. The D did not come back to the Q10 tho.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:42 PM
    Was it plugged in?

Posted via CB10
    No, not at any point during any of my tests.

Do you want me to plug it in and check then?
    01-14-14 12:43 PM
    What I'm seeing with my Q10 and 4S is if the app is open on the iPhone, even after 10 hours, I get the D right away, but as soon as I close the app by swiping it away, it's immediately suspended and I get the grey check on the Q10.

Over my lunch I did the test that I mentioned earlier about rebooting the iPhone. After it came back up, I still got the grey check on the Q10 which I expected, and the iPhone received the push and proper badging of the BBM icon. The D did not come back to the Q10 tho.

Posted via CB10
    This is so confusing, why does some iPhones give a D while others don't (app minimised on both) ?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:45 PM
    Overnight my 4S was plugged in, battery was down below 25% before I went to bed so I charged it. I will try it again tonight/tomorrow morning after being unplugged overnight

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:46 PM
    It seems if the app is minimized on mine, I seem to get the D pretty reliably, if it's been closed, I just get the check.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:48 PM
    This is so confusing, why does some iPhones give a D while others don't (app minimised on both) ?

Posted via CB10
    Older tech running either an older OS or a newer OS that is either one or two years later than the original, and BBM being optimised for the newer OS, even when the iPhone 5 was the one that was out when BBMx was being developed.

iOS7 does not provide all functionalities to the older devices; they can run it, but not full featured.

Similar to how when putting BBOS 6 on a 9700, there were some wee tiny hiccups.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-14-14 12:50 PM
    Now that takes me back in the days. Soon as I even seen a leak for BBOS 6 on my 9700, I jumped on it. Anything was better than what I had at the time.
    01-14-14 12:54 PM
    Now that takes me back in the days. Soon as I even seen a leak for BBOS 6 on my 9700, I jumped on it. Anything was better than what I had at the time.
    Yup, it ran generally well.

My agency also installed it on my 9650.
    01-14-14 12:55 PM
    But I do agree, porting an OS backwards onto the older technology does not always work to what everyone expects it to. Even tho it meets the minimum requirements, some of the backend stuff just doesn't work the same way simply because it may not have been designed to do so at the time of inception since there was no need for that functionality.

To what I'm seeing here with the testing that we've all done, it appears that with a 5S even though the main portion of the application is closed, was swiped away, a portion of the application is still running deeper in the background to accept and respond to any BBM messages that come in similar to a true BB.

Now whether network connectivity, 4G vs LTE, affect the ability to respond as well, I cant speak to that since we don't have LTE in the area where I live or work, and the 4S is only 3G capable anyways. Unfortunately I dont have any friends on my list either that use an iPhone for BBM other than my own.
    01-14-14 01:07 PM
    But I do agree, porting an OS backwards onto the older technology does not always work to what everyone expects it to. Even tho it meets the minimum requirements, some of the backend stuff just doesn't work the same way simply because it may not have been designed to do so at the time of inception since there was no need for that functionality.

To what I'm seeing here with the testing that we've all done, it appears that with a 5S even though the main portion of the application is closed, was swiped away, a portion of the application is still running deeper in the background to accept and respond to any BBM messages that come in similar to a true BB.

Now whether network connectivity, 4G vs LTE, affect the ability to respond as well, I cant speak to that since we don't have LTE in the area where I live or work, and the 4S is only 3G capable anyways. Unfortunately I dont have any friends on my list either that use an iPhone for BBM other than my own.
    That 4G vs LTE thing might just be a red herring. I was trying to come up with an understanding of why at home this morning I didn't get the D but every single time I've checked in DC it's come through.

Now, I haven't been getting BBMs on my iPhone as I normally do, it's been quiet today because I haven't used the iPhone to talk to anyone, only the Q10. So everyone knows I'm on the Q10 and not the iPhone. There is only one group which is very active and that one has been fairly quiet today, so it hasn't interrupted the time when the phone is not in use.
    01-14-14 01:15 PM
    That 4G vs LTE thing might just be a red herring. I was trying to come up with an understanding of why at home this morning I didn't get the D but every single time I've checked in DC it's come through.
    It may have just been a fluke, we are dealing with technology here and we all know nothing is perfect.
    01-14-14 01:22 PM
    Older tech running either an older OS or a newer OS that is either one or two years later than the original, and BBM being optimised for the newer OS, even when the iPhone 5 was the one that was out when BBMx was being developed.

iOS7 does not provide all functionalities to the older devices; they can run it, but not full featured.

You are right, it could be this but I think it's something more complicated, like for example the iPhone doesn't suspend the app if particular conditions were met not just 1.

I just messaged my friend with an iPhone5 and the tick turned to a D in a split of a second, I barely noticed the tick, it was SO fast! It was faster than me sending to a Z10 and my friend is even sleeping so she wasn't using the app.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    01-14-14 09:04 PM
    This has been happening to me for the last month - mostly to android devices though and all of you seem to be talking about ios.

It is making it hard to keep using bbm when messages just don't go through in any sort of a timely manner.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 09:38 PM
    This has been happening to me for the last month - mostly to android devices though and all of you seem to be talking about ios.

It is making it hard to keep using bbm when messages just don't go through in any sort of a timely manner.

Posted via CB10
    I don't wanna turn this into Android thread but, all I can tell you is make sure that the person has their BBM connected icon turned on!! If this doesn't work re-install the app.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 03:01 AM
176 ... 23456 ...