PLUGGING IN MAKES A DIFFERENCE!! LOL :P

Ok so I took the 4S started the BBM app then minimise it, plugged the iPhone in the charger and waited 50 minutes, sent a message after the 50 minutes and bam I got a D right away!

Still gonna do the memory test.

EDIT: I just did the memory test, I opened 7 apps other than BBM (8 apps in total), sent the iPhone a message and guess what...I got a D on my Z10 so nope it's not a memory issue.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 07:59 AM

Ok so I took the 4S started the BBM app then minimise it, plugged the iPhone in the charger and waited 50 minutes, sent a message after the 50 minutes and bam I got a D right away!

Posted via CB10
    Lol; we need to find the right conditions to cause iOS to force close the app on its own.

Posted via my Z10
    01-15-14 08:05 AM
    If you force close the app, the check mark will only change to a D if you open the app. I tested this with an iPhone 4s and a 5s. With both colleagues to whom I was standing next to, as soon as the app was opened the check mark instantly changed. They both did receive a push notification even though the app was force closed, or suspended; it doesn't appear that there is a dependency on the notification, it appears that the state of the app is what determines the message back to the server to update to the D.

Posted via my Z10
    Right, and you mentioned this prior and it was a new detail I hadn't done, force closing. I wouldn't expect it to send out a D if it's force closed. THAT is a whole other situation than what I'd been talking about and I mentioned that.

My question is when it's in the background and it still doesn't send back a D to the Q10. On my phone, in the background, I didn't get the D yesterday morning but I did this morning. What I'm trying to find out is why there are instances of the D not going back when it's not in the foreground.

I think Bob might have hit on the piece that I'm looking for. Meaning having gone to several other apps after BBM and having memory allocation to force close BBM.
    01-15-14 08:19 AM
    Lol; we need to find the right conditions to cause iOS to force close the app on its own.

Posted via my Z10
    I think Bobshine has it. Opening several apps after BBM then coming to BBM. That might force BBM to close out of memory allocation. Similar to the way BB10 closes an active frame after the ninth is open and it closes the first one, going back to the last eight active frames.
    01-15-14 08:21 AM
    If you force close the app, the check mark will only change to a D if you open the app. I tested this with an iPhone 4s and a 5s. With both colleagues to whom I was standing next to, as soon as the app was opened the check mark instantly changed. They both did receive a push notification even though the app was force closed, or suspended; it doesn't appear that there is a dependency on the notification, it appears that the state of the app is what determines the message back to the server to update to the D.

Posted via my Z10
    Ah. I see your point.
    01-15-14 08:23 AM

EDIT: I just did the memory test, I opened 7 apps other than BBM (8 apps in total), sent the iPhone a message and guess what...I got a D on my Z10 so nope it's not a memory issue.

Posted via CB10
    Well that's odd....
    01-15-14 08:23 AM
    I think Bobshine has it. Opening several apps after BBM then coming to BBM. That might force BBM to close out of memory allocation. Similar to the way BB10 closes an active frame after the ninth is open and it closes the first one, going back to the last eight active frames.
    Nope I just tried that, no go, it still gave me a D after opening 10 apps on a 4S, so it's definitely not memory.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:25 AM
    Nope I just tried that, no go, it still gave me a D after opening 10 apps on a 4S, so it's definitely not memory.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:26 AM
    Right, and you mentioned this prior and it was a new detail I hadn't done, force closing. I wouldn't expect it to send out a D if it's force closed. THAT is a whole other situation than what I'd been talking about and I mentioned that.

My question is when it's in the background and it still doesn't send back a D to the Q10. On my phone, in the background, I didn't get the D yesterday morning but I did this morning. What I'm trying to find out is why there are instances of the D not going back when it's not in the foreground.

I think Bob might have hit on the piece that I'm looking for. Meaning having gone to several other apps after BBM and having memory allocation to force close BBM.
    Was your iPhone plugged In yesterday morning when you didn't receive a D?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:26 AM
    Was your iPhone plugged In yesterday morning when you didn't receive a D?

Posted via CB10
    No, I always have it fully charged when I go to bed and take it upstairs.
    01-15-14 08:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hmm that's odd. Cause obviously there is a reason that BBM don't answer back with a D. I think the D works like the R, the app has to answer back.

Maybe BBM does have a certain priority in the apps and doesn't get killed right away. Maybe it's a combinaison memory running out and a "timer"... thus IOS won't kill apps that had been active recently

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:30 AM
    No, I always have it fully charged when I go to bed and take it upstairs.
    So on all your tests the iPhone was not plugged in? That takes the "plugging in" out of the equation, even though it makes sense because Apple does all this to save battery life.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:31 AM
    So on all your tests the iPhone was not plugged in? That takes the "plugging in" out of the equation, even though it makes sense because Apple does all this to save battery life.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting... maybe it depends also on battery level and if the phone is "plugged"

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps it does for the 5S but it doesnt in the case of a 4S. Last night I left my 4S unplugged and this morning I did not get a D or even the push notification that a message was received until I woke up, unlocked, checked that the app was running, and sent another message. Yesterday morning the 4S had been plugged in charging over night and it immediately sent back a D to my Q10.
    01-15-14 08:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Right, on all I did my iPhone was disconnected from any power source.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    01-15-14 08:42 AM
    Hmm that's odd. Cause obviously there is a reason that BBM don't answer back with a D. I think the D works like the R, the app has to answer back.

Maybe BBM does have a certain priority in the apps and doesn't get killed right away. Maybe it's a combinaison memory running out and a "timer"... thus IOS won't kill apps that had been active recently

Posted via CB10
    I think I remember that one of the features of iOS7 is that it "learns" your habits, prioritising apps.

Need to find that piece somewhere.

Here it is:

Because iOS 7 learns when you like to use your apps and can update your content before you launch them. So if you tend to check your favorite social app at 9:00 a.m. every day, your feed will be ready and waiting for you. That’s multitasking in iOS 7. It knows what you want to do before you do.

From this article on iMore.

http://www.imore.com/ios-7-preview-multitasking

Now, I'm not going to get into a "what is true multitasking" discussion since that's out of scope for this thread and also because that conversation is always quite heated. We've managed to get to 141 posts without insults or arguments or bickering, just really fun geeky sleuthing. At least it's been fun for me.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-15-14 at 08:56 AM. Reason: adding link, changing "pages" to "posts"
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-15-14 08:45 AM
    Perhaps it does for the 5S but it doesnt in the case of a 4S. Last night I left my 4S unplugged and this morning I did not get a D or even the push notification that a message was received until I woke up, unlocked, checked that the app was running, and sent another message. Yesterday morning the 4S had been plugged in charging over night and it immediately sent back a D to my Q10.
    So it's got something to do with plugging it in as I said right?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:50 AM
    Right, on all I did my iPhone was disconnected from any power source.

And was all the tests made at almost the same battery level? Maybe if the phone gets to a particular level that Apple has put, it would suspend apps to save battery

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:52 AM
    I think I remember that one of the features of iOS7 is that it "learns" your habits, prioritising apps.

Here it is:

Because iOS 7 learns when you like to use your apps and can update your content before you launch them. So if you tend to check your favorite social app at 9:00 a.m. every day, your feed will be ready and waiting for you. That�s multitasking in iOS 7. It knows what you want to do before you do.

Now that's interesting!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Thesmartmale; 01-15-14 at 09:07 AM.
    01-15-14 08:53 AM
    So it's got something to do with plugging it in as I said right?

Posted via CB10
    Might be.
    01-15-14 08:54 AM
    Okay, so I tested the with the 4S again now, unpluggled, after 50 minutes of minimising the app and I still got a D.

My last test would be battery level, it could be triggered by a certain battery level, when that level is reached the apps go into suspense mode, will test and let you guys know about the results.

I'm not sure how we are suppose to test and prove what you said qbnkelt but I guess if you make the test tomorrow at the same time and the day after and get a D then you might have solved the mystery. Will take time though.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 09:14 AM

Here it is:

Because iOS 7 learns when you like to use your apps and can update your content before you launch them. So if you tend to check your favorite social app at 9:00 a.m. every day, your feed will be ready and waiting for you. That�s multitasking in iOS 7. It knows what you want to do before you do.

From this article on iMore.

http://www.imore.com/ios-7-preview-multitasking

Now, I'm not going to get into a "what is true multitasking" discussion since that's out of scope for this thread and also because that conversation is always quite heated. We've managed to get to 141 posts without insults or arguments or bickering, just really fun geeky sleuthing. At least it's been fun for me.
    It's interesting... Cause I just asked my friend that I never get any "D"... she said I am the only one that she BBM. And we only chat sporadically.

Another one of my friend, I BBM her often. And I get a D back most of the time.

So iOS probably prioritise certain process depending on habits

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 09:16 AM
    It's interesting... Cause I just asked my friend that I never get any "D"... she said I am the only one that she BBM. And we only chat sporadically.

Another one of my friend, I BBM her often. And I get a D back most of the time.

So iOS probably prioritise certain process depending on habits

Posted via CB10
    Maybe????? This has been quite interesting, I must say. As I have mentioned, I don't expect a force closed app to send a D. But why in God's green earth there are sometimes no D sent on BBM not running in the foreground and at other times a D is sent is something that is really interesting.
    01-15-14 09:24 AM
    At first reading the title i thought bbm is down, because that would be strange as i have never experienced downtime since it's officially launched.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk
    01-15-14 09:42 AM
    Maybe????? This has been quite interesting, I must say. As I have mentioned, I don't expect a force closed app to send a D. But why in God's green earth there are sometimes no D sent on BBM not running in the foreground and at other times a D is sent is something that is really interesting.
    I am testing this theory right now with two of my friends. Both on latest iOS with iPhone 5S.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 09:46 AM
176 ... 45678