unfortunately I don't have access to a 5 or 5S to play with for this, a 5/5S may behave in a slightly different way, but I would expect that running the same OS, 7.0.4, and same version of BBM, 1.0.5.134, I would expect the behaviour to be the same or very close in nature at least
    Briefly, there is degraded performance on iPhone 4S and below and iOS6.

I haven't got a 4S (I sent it to a friend whose 4 went for a swim) so I can't check on it.

Not all features of iOS7 are compatible with iPhone 4S or below. BBM does have different behaviour on iOS6, and the D issue was noted from the very early days on.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    01-13-14 03:49 PM
    So I've made my way home, haven't touched the iPhone since I did the last round of tests earlier in the office at which point I put BBM into the background processes in case I had to do something for work. So that puts the phone idle for around an hour or so, if BBM was going to be suspended after 15 minutes previously stated, it should have been by now. Pulled out my Q10 and sent a message to the iPhone, instantly showed up with the D on the message and I felt the iPhone vibrate in my pocket from the push notification.

Typically speaking I don't touch the work phone in the evenings unless something blows up and I have to deal with it so I'll let it sit till morning and do the same thing again. See what happens.
    01-13-14 04:48 PM
    So I've made my way home, haven't touched the iPhone since I did the last round of tests earlier in the office at which point I put BBM into the background processes in case I had to do something for work. So that puts the phone idle for around an hour or so, if BBM was going to be suspended after 15 minutes previously stated, it should have been by now. Pulled out my Q10 and sent a message to the iPhone, instantly showed up with the D on the message and I felt the iPhone vibrate in my pocket from the push notification.

Typically speaking I don't touch the work phone in the evenings unless something blows up and I have to deal with it so I'll let it sit till morning and do the same thing again. See what happens.
    I've spoken to my colleague and his expectation lines up with what you've stated that the push notification from iOS should trigger the response back to the BBM server even if the app is suspended. The other colleague that I tested with is running iOS7 on an iPhone 4s, so the difference could be attributable to settings and/ or a compatibility issue with the older hardware. I may have to look at his app settings.

Posted via my Z10
    01-13-14 05:14 PM

What iPhone do you own?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 05:28 PM
    Right, so I'm now in the middle of my commute home, which means train, driving, etc. By the time that everybody's fed and settled in, it will be far into the evening.

What I will do tomorrow morning, first thing, will be to send myself a BBM Q10 to iPhone, which will have been inactive for six hours and if it suspends then it will have done so. I will report back what it does.

I will then force close BBM and report what that does.

This will be on an iPhone 5s running the versions I mentioned earlier.

Yes please, let us know the results, if you get a D right away then I will officially say that this thread has discovered something no one has discovered yet lol.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 05:29 PM
    My iPhone is a 4S provided by my office. Currently it's running version 7.0.4.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 05:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Can you also do a test where you minimize the app and swipe it up/away, as I believe that will automatically suspend the app.

Posted via my Z10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-13-14 05:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Now this makes me puzzled, why do some 4Ss work different from another?

Did you make sure that no one sent you a message on BBM while it was in suspend mode, before you do a test?

I have found that if you keep messaging the person on his iPhone continually with a minute or two in between every message, the phone won't put BBM into suspend mode until 50 minutes has passed, even if the iPhone is locked and not touched.

I have an iPhone 4S in my reach anytime so I have been testing this for more than a week now trying to solve this puzzle.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 05:41 PM
    Swiping the application up/away was what I thought actually closed the app and I know from earlier that that results in a grey check on my Q10 and the push notification still being received on the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 05:43 PM
    On BBM on my iPhone I only have myself actually. I only got it on there to check it out when it went X-platform.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 05:46 PM
    Swiping the application up/away was what I thought actually closed the app and I know from earlier that that results in a grey check on my Q10 and the push notification still being received on the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Yes but when you swipe up to suspend you still receive the push notification, so just to confirm, as soon as the iPhone gives the notification, the check mark on the BB10 BBM turns to D without you touching the iPhone?

Posted via my Z10
    01-13-14 05:48 PM
    No, it did not change from the check until I opened the App. I left it sit for a few minutes before doing so to see if it would change. When it did not, as soon as I opened BBM on the iPhone it popped over to a D

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 05:50 PM
    No, it did not change from the check until I opened the App. I left it sit for a few minutes before doing so to see if it would change. When it did not, as soon as I opened BBM on the iPhone it popped over to a D

Posted via CB10
    Thank you, this is the exact behaviour that my colleague's 4s displays. Can someone here with an iPhone 5s replicate this test scenario and provide feedback?

Posted via my Z10
    01-13-14 05:54 PM
    Thank you, this is the exact behaviour that my colleague's 4s displays. Can someone here with an iPhone 5s replicate this test scenario and provide feedback?

Posted via my Z10
    I did with a iphone5. 5s I can't speak to though.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 06:12 PM
    I did with a iphone5. 5s I can't speak to though.

Posted via CB10
    You got the exact same result in the 5? What happens if you minimize BBM and leave it idle for a while?

Posted via my Z10
    Last edited by ital1; 01-13-14 at 07:49 PM.
    01-13-14 06:16 PM
    You got the exact same result in the 5? What happens if the you minimize BBM and leave it idle for a while?

Posted via my Z10
    That's what the result was this morning. It wasn't force closed and first this this morning, I tried it when the iPhone had not been used all night. This is on the latest IOS 7 as well. And I have great service in my house.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 06:17 PM
    Wow, this post blew up today while I was at work. So, I'm back to: how do I PM from CB app? Lol. you stated you tried to send me a pm and I don't have it turned on. How do I turn it on? I can't find the setting.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 10:56 PM
    Wow, this post blew up today while I was at work. So, I'm back to: how do I PM from CB app? Lol. you stated you tried to send me a pm and I don't have it turned on. How do I turn it on? I can't find the setting.

Posted via CB10
    You can't PM from the CB10 app. You have to log in in the browser or on a lap top or tablet.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 05:21 AM
    OK, this is what I found this morning.

The iPhone received BBM messages regardless of whether it's open and active or minimised. I sent myself a message first thing this morning and the iPhone received it immediately. I had not used it all night.

The iPhone did *not* send the D back to the Q10 until I unlocked it and opened the app.

I checked again in DC. The phone *did* send the D back to the Q10 even when the phone had been inactive for around 30 minutes.

What I'm wondering is this.....does LTE have a role to play in communication from the iPhone back to the server and then to the Q10 to let it know to send the feedback in the form of a D. The reason I wonder this is because I haven't got LTE at home but I do in DC. The receipt of the D is different at home than it is in DC.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    01-14-14 06:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, your thread has been VERY interesting for me!!!

To turn PM on, go to Settings, scroll down to General Settings. Scroll down to where you see Privage Messages, and turn that on.
    01-14-14 06:10 AM
    Yes please, let us know the results, if you get a D right away then I will officially say that this thread has discovered something no one has discovered yet lol.

Posted via CB10
    No, I did not get a D right away. But....I do have one question, and that's whether LTE has a part in how the iPhone communicates back to the server to tell the server to send a notification back to the BlackBerry to display the D.

This is actually quite a lot of fun.
    01-14-14 06:13 AM
    Just tested again.

iPhone is on the other side of the building, and I got a D on my Q10.

It's either a server, signal, or 4G vs LTE thing.

01-14-14 07:54 AM
    I did some testing this morning as well, my iPhone was left alone from the time I got home last night till this morning with BBM running minimized. When I woke up this morning I sent a message to the iPhone from the Q10 and immediately got a D back.

So even after 10 hours of no activity, with the app running in the background, it still sent back the proper response on a 4S.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    01-14-14 07:57 AM
    I did some testing this morning as well, my iPhone was left alone from the time I got home last night till this morning with BBM running minimized. When I woke up this morning I sent a message to the iPhone from the Q10 and immediately got a D back.

So even after 10 hours of no activity, with the app running in the background, it still sent back the proper response on a 4S.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting.

It's sending it back in DC but not at home.

Thanks! At least I know I'm not nutsoid.

01-14-14 08:32 AM
    Something else to note, at home my Q10 barely has signal depending on where I am in the home so I'm using wifi for most communications there for it. I just checked the iPhone and it too had wifi turned on, it's hit or miss if it does since I usually turn it off so I can play some games at work in slow times =P

That may play a part as well, I don't know.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 08:57 AM
176 12345 ...