In the meantime, are the alerts for BBM set up like this on the iPhone?

Sent from my AWESOME gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    01-13-14 12:23 PM
    Are you sending to iPhone users? Typically when they haven't used bbm for some time, the message does go through and is in their notification Centre(assuming they have turned on the notifications in their iPhone app settings), but will show as a grey check mark for you until the open the app again. This I believe has something to do with the ios multitasking suspending an app in the background.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. This drive me nuts as I don't know if my messages have been delivered to my fellow iPhone users. Sometimes I'll resend it a couple of times just to make sure and they will all change from checkmark to the "R" at the same time. They will just skip the "D" lol.

Source: BBM a LOT with my gf through BBM on her iPhone. And other friends with iPhones

*shrug* wonder why the difference for some? Settings perhaps? And yes I've seen many a person complain about this

"We are truly alone, the scars on your heart are yours to atone" (BBM#18)
    ray689 likes this.
    01-13-14 12:44 PM
    iOS does not allow apps to run constantly in the background such as BBM runs on the BlackBerry platform; from what I have been told, only Facebook for iOS has that permission. I did some testing with iPhone BBM contacts but this was prior to the most recent release which, if I recall correctly, had improvements for the notification handling. What I saw in my previous tests was that the check mark changed to a D once the app was opened; OP, what version of BBM for iPhone is she using?
    Undbiter65 and ray689 like this.
    01-13-14 12:50 PM
    Quoting BlackBerry's KB document, posted earlier in the thread:

Regardless of the state of the BBM app (Foreground - BBM is running and is in-use / Background - BBM is running but not in-use) a push notification will be received if the Alert Style is set to Banners or Alerts.

KB35264-Notifications and sounds for BBM for iPhone and cellular enabled iPad

If the iPhone is locked/asleep a notification is delivered to the device, as well as the D to the sending device, assuming there are no server or signal errors.
    01-13-14 01:16 PM
    OP - I have just attempted to PM you, but you have selected not to allow PMs.
    01-13-14 01:24 PM
    What I saw with iOS7 is that if the user force closed the app, therefore it wouldn't be running in either the foreground or background, the check mark did not change to a D until the user activated and opened the app.
    ray689 likes this.
    01-13-14 01:29 PM
    What I saw with iOS7 is that if the user force closed the app, therefore it wouldn't be running in either the foreground or background, the check mark did not change to a D until the user activated and opened the app.
    THAT is a different detail. I have never force closed my apps on my iPhone and only rarely on my SGIII; never found a need to do that. As I've mentioned throughout the thread, the iPhone is asleep and/or locked. I actually haven't turned off the phone since I first turned it on.

So THAT detail of forcing closed BBM on the iPhone or the SGIII I can't speak to. What I do know is that I get the D regardless of how long the iPhone has been inactive, asleep, running in the background, while in my bag or overnight.
    01-13-14 01:40 PM
    Ray689 is correct, this is how BBM and whatsapp and every messaging app behave on IOS, IOS puts apps in suspend mode if they are not open for 10 to 15 minutes (unless people were messaging you), however 3 days ago my friend with an IPhone5 started using BBM and I noticed it works as a BlackBerry device would so I don't know if it works as it should on iPhone5 and above or is she just too active on BBM.

@qpnkelt try this, go out of BBM and make sure NO ONE sends you a message for 15 to 20 mins at least and then send a message using any other phone to your iPhone and see if you get a tick or a D.

Posted via CB10
    ray689 and Its Spade like this.
    01-13-14 01:44 PM
    This is what qbnkept doesn't understand... ios works with apps having to be open.. if it's not open it will show grey check...
    ray689 and Undbiter65 like this.
    01-13-14 01:45 PM
    Ray689 is correct, this is how BBM and whatsapp and every messaging app behave on IOS, IOS puts apps in suspend mode if they are not open for 10 to 15 minutes (unless people were messaging you), however 3 days ago my friend with an IPhone5 started using BBM and I noticed it works as a BlackBerry device would so I don't know if it works as it should on iPhone5 and above or is she just too active on BBM.

@qpnkelt try this, go out of BBM and make sure NO ONE sends you a message for 15 to 20 mins at least and then send a message using any other phone to your iPhone and see if you get a tick or a D.

Posted via CB10
    That's the test I did this morning, and I received the D on the Q10.

What ital1 said IS different though, and I think that could account for the different experinces.

I never force close my BBM so the device is asleep. I do disagree about suspending because per BlackBerry own KB the app does run in the background.

Which is what I experience when the phone is locked/asleep.

I think he (she?) found the critical detail.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    01-13-14 01:53 PM
    This is what qbnkept doesn't understand... ios works with apps having to be open.. if it's not open it will show grey check...
    No, it's not that, as I just mentioned ital1 brought in an interesting detail that I haven't tried and I'm keen on trying out as soon as I get to my desk.

01-13-14 01:55 PM
    That's the test I did this morning, and I received the D on the Q10.

What ital1 said IS different though, and I think that could account for the different experinces.

I never force close my BBM so the device is asleep. I do disagree about suspending because per BlackBerry own KB the app does run in the background.

Which is what I experience when the phone is locked/asleep.

I think he (she?) found the critical detail.

I can confirm that IOS suspends the app and I can make a video about showing that but my connection is slow here, anyways want I wanna say is whether the app is removed from the multitasking bar in IOS7 or not it makes no difference (except in time to suspend) , the same happens in whatsapp, but like I said before could it be something about the iPhone5 /5S? Maybe, I will ask my friend to check that.

Posted via CB10
    ray689 likes this.
    01-13-14 02:03 PM
    I can confirm that IOS suspends the app and I can make a video about showing that but my connection is slow here, anyways want I wanna say is whether the app is removed from the multitasking bar in IOS7 or not it makes no difference (except in time to suspend) , the same happens in whatsapp, but like I said before could it be something about the iPhone5 /5S? Maybe, I will ask my friend to check that.

Posted via CB10
    No it's actually the iPhone 5/5s on iOS7 that gets the D, the others are the ones that lag.

Who wants to invite me to BBM to test????

01-13-14 02:08 PM
    This caught my eye this afternoon as I'm sitting here at work perusing a few sites that i frequent simply because its rare to see BBM go down for any length of time.

I've got a Q10 (personal phone) and an iPhone 4S (work phone) which I've connected on BBM. The work phone has not had BBM running in quite sometime, it actually died on me a while back when the battery was let drain over the Christmas break. Seeing all the responses to this thread, I thought I would try it out and see what happens.

With BBM not running on my 4S, I sent a message from my Q10 and low and behold, I got the grey check as I was expecting. When I finally got back into BBM on my iPhone, unfortunately forgot my password and it wanted me to login again, the notification immediately went to a D and on to an R right away when I went in to the message as well. Now I need to check my settings to see if I have notifications set as Qbnkelt has suggested, but as far as I can see, it seems that the stock configuration of BBM on the iPhone may cause the grey check to come up from time to time.
    ray689 and Undbiter65 like this.
    01-13-14 02:50 PM
    I just re-tested with an iPhone 4s user running iOS7 whose BBM was in a suspended state - he had not accessed it for two days prior to the test. When I sent the message I had a grey check mark and he instantly received a notification, however I still had the check mark. When he activated/opened BBM, it instantly changed to a D and when he opened my message it instantly changed to an R.
    ray689 and Thesmartmale like this.
    01-13-14 02:56 PM
    I just re-tested with an iPhone 4s user running iOS7 whose BBM was in a suspended state - he had not accessed it for two days prior to the test. When I sent the message I had a grey check mark and he instantly received a notification, however I still had the check mark. When he activated/opened BBM, it instantly changed to a D and when he opened my message it instantly changed to a R.
    That's what I was saying. The push notifications (linked earlier) was not the argument. It just means the person gets the message on IOS in their notification center. And it is the same for iPhone 5 running IOS as well.

Posted via CB10
    ital1 likes this.
    01-13-14 03:01 PM
    Yup guys as mentioned, you're looking at an iPhone 4S.

Check back to my second or so post...I'm walking to the Metro now and can't really get into a cut and paste thing.

01-13-14 03:02 PM
    I just did a quick test on my desk here as well again on my desk. With BBM running on the iPhone in the background, I sent a message and immediately got the push notification of the message and on the Q10 it went straight to a D. I forced the app closed on the iPhone and performed the same test. On the iPhone I got the push but on the BB, it showed the grey check. Waited a few minutes before going into BBM on the work phone to see if it would change, but it did not. Soon as I launched BBM on the iPhone, it changed to a D instantly.
    ray689 and ital1 like this.
    01-13-14 03:05 PM
    I just did a quick test on my desk here as well again on my desk. With BBM running on the iPhone in the background, I sent a message and immediately got the push notification of the message and on the Q10 it went straight to a D. I forced the app closed on the iPhone and performed the same test. On the iPhone I got the push but on the BB, it showed the grey check. Waited a few minutes before going into BBM on the work phone to see if it would change, but it did not. Soon as I launched BBM on the iPhone, it changed to a D instantly.
    That is exactly our point; when it is suspended or force closed, it appears that the D notification will happen once the app is activated. I've confirmed that the app will go into suspension in 15 minutes with an iOS expert on my team, just as Thesmartmale indicated above.
    ray689 and Thesmartmale like this.
    01-13-14 03:08 PM
    unfortunately I don't have access to a 5 or 5S to play with for this, a 5/5S may behave in a slightly different way, but I would expect that running the same OS, 7.0.4, and same version of BBM, 1.0.5.134, I would expect the behaviour to be the same or very close in nature at least
    01-13-14 03:11 PM
    THAT is a different detail. I have never force closed my apps on my iPhone and only rarely on my SGIII; never found a need to do that. As I've mentioned throughout the thread, the iPhone is asleep and/or locked. I actually haven't turned off the phone since I first turned it on.

So THAT detail of forcing closed BBM on the iPhone or the SGIII I can't speak to. What I do know is that I get the D regardless of how long the iPhone has been inactive, asleep, running in the background, while in my bag or overnight.
    Oh definitely. That makes all the difference in the world.
    01-13-14 03:13 PM
    I can confirm that I get the gray check from time to time going from BB to BB.. generaly when one or the other of us is in a low/no signal situation. I was having a little trouble keeping up with the 4S/5S differences/issues but it is fairly standard fair for BBM to throw up a checkmark to let you know that you have indeed sent the message but that it has not yet reached its intended recipient, nor has it been read...

Not sure if that helps or further complicates the discussion so take it for what it's worth.
    01-13-14 03:23 PM
    Hello guys,just bought a Q10 and I can't use my Bbm over data connection,its working only with the Wifi network..
    However I can browse he Internet over data connection..
    Anyone can suggest something?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 03:24 PM
    All arguments aside though, a grey check mark indicates to the BBM user that their message has been delivered to the BBM server at least and there are no problems with your communciations to that point. If it does remain for more than a couple of seconds, which appears to be common place now a days depending on the other persons device, it only means that they have an issue whether its poor signal or the application is closed. Personally speaking, if its that important that the message gets through to the person, I'd just pick up the phone and call them, but maybe thats just me
    01-13-14 03:28 PM
    Right, so I'm now in the middle of my commute home, which means train, driving, etc. By the time that everybody's fed and settled in, it will be far into the evening.

What I will do tomorrow morning, first thing, will be to send myself a BBM Q10 to iPhone, which will have been inactive for six hours and if it suspends then it will have done so. I will report back what it does.

I will then force close BBM and report what that does.

This will be on an iPhone 5s running the versions I mentioned earlier.

01-13-14 03:31 PM
176 1234 ...