Can the BBM team do anything about it? This would be a good and very useful update. What hike messenger does is that if the recipient is not seen on line then an SMS is sent to them.

BBM can easily get the number in its database. If the recipient replies back as an SMS it comes back to you as a BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Alvin Loh likes this.
    07-13-14 02:49 PM
    Can the BBM team do anything about it? This would be a good and very useful update. What hike messenger does is that if the recipient is not seen on line then an SMS is sent to them.

BBM can easily get the number in its database. If the recipient replies back as an SMS it comes back to you as a BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Hi and welcome! To anwser your question from my point of view: BBM is not capable of doing such things because its concept is entirely different. Unlike Hike Messenger or WhatsApp, BBM works with a PIN, which is generated for each device (even for iOS/Android/Windows Phone devices) following a secret algorithm. Like this, each account and phone is unique in their database, but it's much more secure. Imagine this: when Whatsapp's or Hike's database is hacked, the hackers can relate each account to a device and their respective phone numbers, which isn't all that nice because they can easily take advantage of this. If BBM's database is hacked, what never will happen, the hackers cannot get to your phone number because the PIN has nothing to do with that. Like this, your phone number is safe!

It's a little bit of security built in to the normal BBM, and that's nice.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-13-14 03:34 PM
    Hi and welcome! To anwser your question from my point of view: BBM is not capable of doing such things because its concept is entirely different. Unlike Hike Messenger or WhatsApp, BBM works with a PIN, which is generated for each device (even for iOS/Android/Windows Phone devices) following a secret algorithm. Like this, each account and phone is unique in their database, but it's much more secure. Imagine this: when Whatsapp's or Hike's database is hacked, the hackers can relate each account to a device and their respective phone numbers, which isn't all that nice because they can easily take advantage of this. If BBM's database is hacked, what never will happen, the hackers cannot get to your phone number because the PIN has nothing to do with that. Like this, your phone number is safe!

Thanks... that answers a lot... but that way the messenger platform will not be adopted by the general public, unless they are really security conscious. I don't see a lot of people that conscious about security. I mean look at the people using BlackBerry phones... we all have, well most of us, have whatsapp installed.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 04:16 PM
    Ignorance is bliss when it comes to security for most mobile users.

Don't use BBM then don't bother messaging me. Simples....

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    07-14-14 12:04 PM

Wow thanks for the useful information.....i really love the CB forum

Posted via my awesome communication device BlackBerry Z10
    07-24-14 08:22 AM
    I think this would be a good idea if the contacts # is already in your phone. Send an mms and append a little -via BBM at the end.

Buddha Stories - C0038CC70
    07-24-14 08:54 AM
    I think this would be a good idea if the contacts # is already in your phone. Send an mms and append a little -via BBM at the end.

Agreed. I don't want everyone to have my phone #, that's part of the point of having a pin #.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 08:56 AM
    Agreed. I don't want everyone to have my phone #, that's part of the point of having a pin #.

Posted via CB10
    I have a poor memory, but I seem to remember back in my os7 days there was an option to integrate sms into BBM, so you could send / receive both from within BBM. I wish that was still an option.

07-24-14 09:03 AM
    I don't think that this is a good feature because there comes the question of ?when someone is offline??
    For example, if I am in a garage and I don't have signal then bbm message will not arrive, neither will an sms.
    On the other hand, if I am in the garage, but the signal is very weak and I get only gsm signal (voice only) I would receive the sms.
    Now, in both cases
    1. The time that I would be in the garage is small
    2. Someone will be charged for the sms
    3. The servers and the phones would need to communicate all the time between them just to say that they are alive (drains battery etc)

And from my daily experience, I think it is more usual to get a wifi signal that cellular.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 09:04 AM
    I don't think that this is a good feature because there comes the question of ?when someone is offline??
    For example, if I am in a garage and I don't have signal then bbm message will not arrive, neither will an sms.
    On the other hand, if I am in the garage, but the signal is very weak and I get only gsm signal (voice only) I would receive the sms.
    Now, in both cases
    1. The time that I would be in the garage is small
    2. Someone will be charged for the sms
    3. The servers and the phones would need to communicate all the time between them just to say that they are alive (drains battery etc)

And from my daily experience, I think it is more usual to get a wifi signal that cellular.

Posted via CB10
    Thing is it should be an option. Personally my plan including unlimited sms/mms but I have limited data, so for me, an option to send pictures and videos via mms when not on wifi would save me money.

07-24-14 09:06 AM
    Thing is it should be an option. Personally my plan including unlimited sms/mms but I have limited data, so for me, an option to send pictures and videos via mms when not on wifi would save me money.

In your case you are right. Of course the pictures will be scaled down when you send them by mms

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 09:58 AM
    If you want to send an sms/mms, then send sms/mms. Bbm is more secure and provides a layer of privacy and separation, if you want to end contact with someone you can remove them easily enough and they can't just pop back up on your contacts, nor can changing phone numbers put you in someone else's contact list or gain you one of your own.
    Once someone has your phone number, there's limited options should you no longer want to continue contact with someone or wish to avoid a persistent stalker short of blocking them and any other number they try to contact you from, or the more extreme changing your number, and a im system using your phone number as user identifier is just poor and lazy design due to many resulting issues and complications
    Bbm is great for exchanging contact with new people at parties and clubs or for teenagers meeting new people, then removing them after if it turns out to be a waste of time
    As for old bbos bbm having sms integrated, it wasn't really integrated, it simply let you see your sms messages as part of the bbm app, but there was no link between bbm contacts and sms to speak of, was just a very simplified 'HUB'

Posted via CB, secret level Z30
    07-24-14 10:08 AM
    If you want to send an sms/mms, then send sms/mms. Bbm is more secure and provides a layer of privacy and separation, if you want to end contact with someone you can remove them easily enough and they can't just pop back up on your contacts, nor can changing phone numbers put you in someone else's contact list or gain you one of your own.
    Once someone has your phone number, there's limited options should you no longer want to continue contact with someone or wish to avoid a persistent stalker short of blocking them and any other number they try to contact you from, or the more extreme changing your number, and a im system using your phone number as user identifier is just poor and lazy design due to many resulting issues and complications
    Bbm is great for exchanging contact with new people at parties and clubs or for teenagers meeting new people, then removing them after if it turns out to be a waste of time
    As for old bbos bbm having sms integrated, it wasn't really integrated, it simply let you see your sms messages as part of the bbm app, but there was no link between bbm contacts and sms to speak of, was just a very simplified 'HUB'

Posted via CB, secret level Z30
    Right, that's why I specifically said for contacts that have a phone number saved, meaning that the person already knows your phone number.

07-25-14 07:18 AM
    I guess no one figured it out yet. Just because you don't get the D symbol when you send a bbm message to someone especially when they have there phone off that the message isn't going to get delivered. As soon as the phone connects back to the outside world, bbm message on the server will be delivered to the intended recipient. Now what if Hike sent the message you wanted delivered to someone and that person was roaming which means extra charges for sms messages because not everyone is on the free roaming kick these days. How do you think that person would feel when he has to pay extra for a message you just had to send out that really wasn't relevant to the fees he has to pay extra to receive it.
    07-25-14 08:17 AM
    I guess no one figured it out yet. Just because you don't get the D symbol when you send a bbm message to someone especially when they have there phone off that the message isn't going to get delivered. As soon as the phone connects back to the outside world, bbm message on the server will be delivered to the intended recipient. Now what if Hike sent the message you wanted delivered to someone and that person was roaming which means extra charges for sms messages because not everyone is on the free roaming kick these days. How do you think that person would feel when he has to pay extra for a message you just had to send out that really wasn't relevant to the fees he has to pay extra to receive it.
    Do you not understand the word "Option"? I don't believe anyone is suggesting that it does it automatically, I envision it working like this:

You have a critical message, you send via bbm, the person is not available, you long press the message and select "send as"...sms mms whatever, IF THIS CONTACT IS ALSO ASSOCIATED with A PHONE NUMBER!!! THEN It would send.

It just automates the extra steps anyone would do themselves. If I send a message that's important and it's not received timely, I'm going to cut & paste it into a sms and send it that way.

07-25-14 09:33 AM
    Do you not understand the word "Option"? I don't believe anyone is suggesting that it does it automatically, I envision it working like this:

You have a critical message, you send via bbm, the person is not available, you long press the message and select "send as"...sms mms whatever, IF THIS CONTACT IS ALSO ASSOCIATED with A PHONE NUMBER!!! THEN It would send.

It just automates the extra steps anyone would do themselves. If I send a message that's important and it's not received timely, I'm going to cut & paste it into a sms and send it that way.

I'm wanting for the message to be sent automatically as an SMS if BBM discovers that the person is offline... it can be built as an option. The point is if someone is sending a message which is important, I want it delivered to the recipient, whether it goes as a BBM or as an SMS.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 05:21 PM