This is the message BBM needs to hit home with on Friday. Otherwise people won't even give it a chance if they think what's app is good enough.

If blackberry doesn't open with those 4 words, they're finished before they even begin.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 08:10 AM
    Okay, if you say so. Although I think just saying it means nothing.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    09-18-13 08:18 AM
    Blackberry has never been very good at marketing and promotion.
    09-18-13 08:18 AM
    There is anecdotally very little demand for BBM. There is a IM product which has been around for everyone for years now. No new news here. This message will be ignored. "BBM does it better" challenges the user to try it and see for themselves.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 08:27 AM
    its all about the youth. they spread fads like wildfire. if they give bbm the nod, it will do fine. i remember when bbm got popular and everybody wanted a bb just to display their pin on social networking sites... it was easy to do and stirred interest. BB shouldn't spend a penny on marketing
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    09-18-13 09:36 AM
    This is the message BBM needs to hit home with on Friday. Otherwise people won't even give it a chance if they think what's app is good enough.

If blackberry doesn't open with those 4 words, they're finished before they even begin.

Posted via CB10
    The issue is the app will launch on Android and iOS missing so many features, it's still going to be a hard sell to hardcore messaging app users regardless of what they say.

The only real benefit to using BBM will be the reliable S/D/R in the Messaging, and only if you do 95% just text messaging.

And that doesn't really put it at a great place as far as "youth" are concerned.

Personally, I don't think I'll be able to keep it installed long largely because of the Ongoing Notifications taking up space in my Notification Bar and the Two (Seriously, TWO?!) entries into the Share Menu (BBM Contacts + BBM Groups, instead of just BBM and allowing you to choose where to share it in-app after you tap that).

Not sure why they think cluttering up people's phones is the way to go...
    09-18-13 12:38 PM
    its all about the youth. they spread fads like wildfire. if they give bbm the nod, it will do fine. i remember when bbm got popular and everybody wanted a bb just to display their pin on social networking sites... it was easy to do and stirred interest. BB shouldn't spend a penny on marketing
    The only reason that would make sense is if the goal is to keep the cash unspent before breaking up the company and selling it for parts. With the importance of bbm success it should be marketed effectively before the BlackBerry hating media drags it through the dirt.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 07:14 PM
    Agreed on the youth point, and to that point it is important to make BBM available on wifi, video and voice because that connects corporate dad's with their kids! I can't emphasize enough how important it is to facilitate that connection! that alone could make a difference a round corporate adaptation.

Ricocan
    09-18-13 09:23 PM
    The only reason that would make sense is if the goal is to keep the cash unspent before breaking up the company and selling it for parts. With the importance of bbm success it should be marketed effectively before the BlackBerry hating media drags it through the dirt.

Posted via CB10
    I would think that's their aim here. The app is offered free. They are cutting staff left and right. Money is of the essence. Also, I'm yet to see one WhatsApp commercial or even web ad. BBM can pass it. Its a matter of people still interested and the new wave of smartphone users catching on. My gamble would be on BBM succeeding. But they cannot stop now. They should be working on video as we speak and stop dragging their feet as has been the case. Stop announcing things that will take months to be a reality.

My only concern would be them spawning it into a social network that too closely resembles twitter. It should focus solely on being the best instant messenger out there. Kill skype, kik, FB messenger, WhatsApp etc. That's the niche.
    09-19-13 12:48 PM
    True... I was just saying today that the problem with Facebook is the lack of control and ownership of individuals private data. People just don't trust it. Only a matter of time before the company liquidates all that data about you into cash by any means necessary.

Now picture peer to peer social networking. Host your own "---book" page instead of on Facebook's servers. I think BBM should present themselves as the peer to peer social network.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by incongruent; 09-19-13 at 10:37 PM.
    09-19-13 10:27 PM