The servers broke because a million people used a buggy leaked version of the software that was never intended to be released.

How is that Blackberry's fault?

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    I guess BBRY didn't produce the buggy version that was eventually leaked?
    JeepBB and cindylouhartley like this.
    09-21-13 10:57 PM
    I guess BBRY didn't produce the buggy version that was eventually leaked?
    They did, and decided it wasn't good enough, so they didn't release that version and kept working on it.

Just because BlackBerry has a working version they're able to release doesn't automatically make all older, unreleased versions of the software work flawlessly. Do you even know how programming works?

If there's a problem you fix it. After you've fixed the problem you have a new version that works better, but that doesn't mean the old version automatically also works better. The old version is still exactly the same as it was before. I can't believe that I need to explain this, I feel like I'm talking to children.

pcguy514 and undone like this.
    09-21-13 11:00 PM
    Say, for example, that make a pie, but the pie isn't very good so I throw it out and make a new pie, without the problems the old pie had.

Now, someone fishes the old, bad pie out of the garbage and gives a slice to everyone before I get a chance to give them the good pie. Just because I made a new, better pie doesn't mean the old, garbage pie is suddenly fine as well. It's still garbage. The bad pie makes everyone sick, and they never get a chance to try the good pie, because before I can serve them any I have to figure out how to stop the projectile vomiting.

Now, is it my fault that everyone ate the bad pie? Maybe I should have locked my garbage can better, but it was everyone else that was choosing to eat pie from the garbage. They knew it was coming from a potentially sketchy source and they ate it anyways due to impatience.

09-21-13 11:04 PM
    It will take more than just a weekend for the BlackBerry term to fix all their problems. Apple BBM new users can text each other now. But cannot send text to BlackBerry BBM users at the moment. So that means BBM is still having cross platform problem and have not fixed that yet. Google BBM is still pending. Apple BBM is only available in several time zones and areas at the moment only. Still have a very long way to go before being able to be compared with other cross platform apps.
    richardat likes this.
    09-21-13 11:07 PM
    Say, for example, that make a pie, but the pie isn't very good so I throw it out and make a new pie, without the problems the old pie had.

Now, someone fishes the old, bad pie out of the garbage and gives a slice to everyone before I get a chance to give them the good pie. Just because I made a new, better pie doesn't mean the old, garbage pie is suddenly fine as well. It's still garbage. The bad pie makes everyone sick, and they never get a chance to try the good pie, because before I can serve them any I have to figure out how to stop the projectile vomiting.

Now, is it my fault that everyone ate the bad pie? Maybe I should have locked my garbage can better, but it was everyone else that was choosing to eat pie from the garbage. They knew it was coming from a potentially sketchy source and they ate it anyways due to impatience.

Now I want pie

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    laketrout73 likes this.
    09-21-13 11:21 PM
    ... most twitter comments are now turning negative against BlackBerry.
    I think this has been happening for years now?

Unfortunately the only positive sentiment seems to be coming from the diehards and nostalgic users of Blackberry�even that I feel is waning.
    cindylouhartley likes this.
    09-21-13 11:25 PM
    Hopefully it's just the time they need to compile and regression test a new build.. change the port it communicates over or change it's destination to something else.. make sure that when they re-enable it the leaked versions can't connect an cause havoc... Kinda frustrating though.. but I know they will work through it.. I suspect that there may be a small team working on the software (if it's even done in-house at all).. give them some time to work through the issues.. and uninstall the leaked one if you haven't done that already. ;-)

I imagine that most of the 57 'fake' BBM apps in the playstore were just leaked versions too.. so by them not getting the right one posted on time, people were installing the leaked one.. looking now, there are finally no fake BBM apps in the store.. Crossing my fingers that they are going to work on it overnight and push something out in the morning... would be nice to have this available come monday.. We have a mix of BBOS7, BB10, GS4 and I5's at work... getting them all to standardize on BBM would be excellent...
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-21-13 11:50 PM
    You are an epic fail
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    09-21-13 11:57 PM
    first time i ever looked like a stupid bb cheerleader in front of my friends and family i think i will keep my mouth shut in terms of supporting bb.
    Same thing here. I let all my friends and family know BBM was coming, my sister even downloaded a fake by mistake. Made me feel like and ***** but you know what? I'll still support BlackBerry because I like the phone, the software and apart from two or three apps, I got everything I need in my Z10. If I feel like using Flipboard or Google Maps I turn on my iPhone 5 (which is collecting dust on a night stand most of the time and has turned into an extra-expensive iPod now cause I don't use it as a phone anymore) but for my day to day I'm more than happy with BlackBerry. I get a lot of "aren't they going down" or "why do you stick to those losers" and "but they don't have many apps" and I just don't care. Some people are happy with Android, some people are in love with Apple, me? I'm happy with my BlackBerry Z10. Variety and choices make life interesting and there is no right or wrong. At the end of the day they're JUST phones.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and pcguy514 like this.
    09-21-13 11:58 PM
    Finally something from these guys about the epic fail of a launch

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 11:59 PM
    Who are you...Steve Lawrence??? *****
    So... just to be clear, it wasn't Google? Apple didn't pay to sabotage the Android launch?

No conspiracy? How anti-climactic.
    09-22-13 12:02 AM
    There are lots of possible reasons why the leaked file could have caused issues. What if it had super debug enabled where instead of the smaller amount of data to register and login, it was sending tons more data to the servers. When you're testing in smaller numbers in beta files, extra debug is usually enabled. When you go to release production versions, you strip out a lot of debug to make things run lean and fast. It could have an alternate server or login process different from the release process. So the people who can't think of ANY reason how it's possible, do not know much about software development. There are lots of ways a beta version not intended for mass use could cause problems. Hell, in large scale networks, there is a big different between 5 retries 10 seconds apart and 10 retries 5 seconds apart when looking for a server.

Now, if the leaked file WAS really intended to be THE released version, then its less likely due to bad code in the android version, and more with not being prepared on the BBM servers. But even then, if they had a rollout plan that expected usage to start ramping up after 7am as opposed to hours earlier, that is not planning properly.
    09-22-13 12:17 AM
    Funny how people complain about a Free app delay. There is love for BlackBerry after all. Hmmmm

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and pcguy514 like this.
    09-22-13 12:19 AM
    I am amazed by the idea, BB should be happy with the idea that people are crazy for the app, 1.1 billion people, and they call it people fault. What a Joke.
    09-22-13 12:46 AM
    I wonder how hard the BB teams will work, day and night, knowing that maybe they won't have a job in a few months? It is sad because of BlackBerry's track record that many of us don't trust what they say anymore. I really want to believe everything in that blog post but I just can't. My opinion is that BB is having a resource issue and they can barely keep up with everything. They said BBM availability is by end of summer and then made it the very last day of summer, what does that tell you? If they don't get this working by earnings call on 27th **** will hit the fan. My prediction is worth little but I think Monday next week is when BBM will be re-launched. Cheers everyone.
    The BBM team should remain intact so they won't be worrying about being laid off. Apple also waits for the last minute to get things out also. When their server go hacked, it took a few weeks before it got back to normal.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:51 AM
    Apple launched their super ios 7 with super fingerprint security - that you could simply bypass. That is an EPIC-FAIL. For some reason, no one seems to care. But when BBM has some issues with the initial roll out - Blackberry fails again.

Do i wish that Blackberry would stop having this hiccups - yes. Are all the other companies better - no. For some reason, people love watching Blackberry fail.
    09-22-13 12:59 AM
    Apple launched their super ios 7 with super fingerprint security - that you could simply bypass. That is an EPIC-FAIL. For some reason, no one seems to care. But when BBM has some issues with the initial roll out - Blackberry fails again.

Do i wish that Blackberry would stop having this hiccups - yes. Are all the other companies better - no. For some reason, people love watching Blackberry fail.
    Hopefully, BBRY doesn't post such on its blog:

"So what if we broke YET another promise! So what if this is our premier software product! So what if we gave detractors another reason to dump our shares! Look at Apple! They failed with an optional security feature!

We have plenty of fail credits left before we catch up to THAT catastrophe!"
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    09-22-13 01:10 AM
    Did Heins write this response himself? Sounds an awful lot like his "we're delaying BB10 because we want it to be perfect."
    richardat likes this.
    09-22-13 01:27 AM
    I mean I don't get,i defend BlackBerry,always.Even i'm most frustrated now.BBM for iOS came and was taken down for bug fixes but BBM for android never came!They should have delivered for once!people are impatient so they thought why not download the leak,what the hell!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 01:49 AM
    http://www.berryreview.com/2013/09/2...platform-news/

this is what we needed, no a blog post.

just like the blackout video. it show responsibility.

come on TH.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 02:24 AM
    When I read about this, I just had to laugh. It couldn't happen any other way. Expect things to right with a BlackBerry product? That's beyond wishful thinking.
    09-22-13 06:33 AM

Ok, this makes no sense whatsoever because you have the ability to shut down the "old pies" and make them unable to be consumed by your customers. Just tell your servers to block the version number of the bad pie that got stolen from the garbage can.

Sorry, bad excuse.

Posted via CB10
    torpesco likes this.
    09-22-13 07:38 AM
    BBM for iPhone can't message BB users? Hmmm, sounds like, yet again, BBRY was trying to pass off a buggy app in prime time and failed. Surprise, surprise.
    09-22-13 07:39 AM
    I get that it wasn't their fault and it was because of a leaked file, but the optics of it all look horrible!

The timing of this glitch and all the other horrible news of last week will probably kill the stock even more Monday.

Hopefully they can resolve the bbm issue soon, and turn this negativity around.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 07:49 AM
    Personally I think bb have now dug their own grave. This was they're one chance to show the other OS's that they could deliver. It's a huge failure and I can't see anyone decided on the back of this to try out a new bb10 device. I mean they fail miserable at everything they do, it's just one disappointment after another, and now everybody knows it, not just bb users.
    09-22-13 07:55 AM
247 12345 ...