BBM Cross platform might not be the best Idea if it due diligence is not applied on how to expand its reach.
    + The success of BBM Channels depends highly on the number of BBM users.

We know for a Fact that, no one asks for the BBM PIN anymore
    I summarize a good secure way to launch it using the Whatsapp model, but making it a bit exclusive and more secure.

1) Register using Mobile Number
    2) SMS Password Verification to authenticate user on mobile number
    3) Generate a unique BBM Pin for the user (Can be used for places where Mobile number should not be shared)
    4) BBM Accesses phone book and builds a 'All Contact' list based on registered mobile numbers.
    5) User to Access every contact and 'Send Invitation' to become a bbm contact. (Determine your own contact list)
    6) Chats- Do not allow to send message unless a contact accepts invitation. (this is what Whatsapp doesnt do)
    7) Groups- Only group admin to add users, Notify all members on new User Addition with Option to -Hide/Leave/Accept

Share your thoughts and recommend better ways!!
    08-14-13 01:40 PM
    User base of BBM? sure but not the userbase of BB itself. I dont thinking making BBM cross platform is going to get people to buy BB phones really. they need to find better ways to get money out of BBM
    08-14-13 01:42 PM
    Exactly my point- Hardware is not thier kingdom anymore. They need to monetize BBM by taking it cross platform in a way whatsapp did.. but secure it with bb security.. They only thing they can play now is on BBM channels, which can be huge based on the Advertisement business, but they need Users.. and restricting people to find out each others pins will not help to gain traction asap...
    08-14-13 01:51 PM
    Nobody asks for pins anymore? Lol.
    08-14-13 01:54 PM
    Yeah-- lol.. whos got the time to ask for Pin from your 300-400 contacts.. so they need to find out a quicker way to increase the user base...
    Nobody asks for pins anymore? Lol.
    08-14-13 01:57 PM
    pins arent per say needed...bbid takes care of most things unless you have more than 1 BB
    08-14-13 02:08 PM
    Yeah-- lol.. whos got the time to ask for Pin from your 300-400 contacts.. so they need to find out a quicker way to increase the user base...
    On BB10, it already scans your LinkedIn and facebook contacts so connecting it to more social networks and local phone book scanning like you suggested would be the way to go.

I recall on legacy bbos it scanned facebook contacts as well but the contacts had to enable that option via the facebook bbos app.
    09-18-13 02:46 PM
    People stuck in their own tiny little world post threads like this.

"Nobody asks for pins no more" translates to
    "I got a smartphone just to "look cool"

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 01:18 AM
    Most people are ignorant while most people know the truth but will rather speak lame comments. If u can give out your number to have a contact on whatsapp then why is sharing PINs any different?
    09-21-13 01:52 AM
    Oh really, and what about the contacts you made 3 years back, yes right.. call them up, ask them to download bbm, and then ask for pin.. what bs..
    Consumers look for ease and thats why whatsapp n others have grown.
    And no one is asking it to allow one and all to contact, still keep it to the ones u want to interact it by accepting..

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 04:18 PM
    People stuck in their own tiny little world post threads like this.

"Nobody asks for pins no more" translates to
    "I got a smartphone just to "look cool"

Posted via CB10
    Yes right, and you got the smartphone to look what? And some people of course dont call iphone a smartphone.. right!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 04:20 PM
    I think OP makes a point. People are not interested in sharing PINs at-least here in South East Asia. My friends want the contacts to be suggested automatically to send invites. Why is this so hard to implement? A lot of my friends uninstalled BBM because they don't have anyone to chat with, and not bothered to message individually to each contact to send an invite. PIN is more secured but at-least its best to suggest all the contacts including iOS and android users who are using BBM so we know they are BBM users and we can send out invites.
    01-16-14 07:51 PM
    I think that it's a valid point that should be considered.
    It would make the process of adding friends much easier. I also like the idea of importing friends from Facebook and other social networks.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 09:17 AM