I switched BBM form my old Passport to a new Passport. It looks like I lost all my BBM Chat History, photo attachments. All that switched was the user name and the contacts. Can old chat histories be retrieved on old device?

Posted via CB10
    05-27-17 10:27 AM
    No you cannot recover what's lost
    05-28-17 01:24 PM
    BBM should find the way to upload the chat...

Posted via CB10
    ChrisLeNeve likes this.
    06-03-17 12:12 PM
    BBM Enterprise does retain the chats in the cloud only between BBM Enterprise users.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-17 04:41 PM
    It's unfortunate but BBM is slowly breaking. Things like not being able to transfer the data when switching make it difficult to stay.
    I guess I will eventually get willing to switch to something else, since I have about no active BBM contacts left. Text is fine but....

Behold, my thumbs have spoken.
    06-07-17 10:35 PM
    BBM Enterprise does retain the chats in the cloud only between BBM Enterprise users.

Posted via CB10
    I've seen this posted several times, maybe each one by you. What is your source?
    06-08-17 11:40 AM
    I switched BBM form my old Passport to a new Passport. It looks like I lost all my BBM Chat History, photo attachments. All that switched was the user name and the contacts. Can old chat histories be retrieved on old device?

Posted via CB10
    If you are using standard BBM then your chats and BBM Groups should sync with contacts and content re-populated. I have seen where people report delays in this occurring. If this is the case, a restart and wait may be what you need to do. I'm not sure there is anything else you can do.

I'm not 100% about the case of BBM Protected or BBM Enterprise in the case of a wipe or a switch. I have not done either while using Protected or Enterprise. For sure you would have to exchange pass phrase with contacts again, whether that is set to automatic or manual out of band, but I'm not sure if after that whether the old chat will sync to your device or not. My guess is the old chat, while on the contacts device, does not sync to your device, but if you are using Protected then the enhanced BBM Groups may sync.
    06-08-17 11:47 AM
    I've seen this posted several times, maybe each one by you. What is your source?
    I am BBM Enterprise user, when switching devices the chat history is retained between BBM Enterprise users.
    06-08-17 04:21 PM
    I am BBM Enterprise user, when switching devices the chat history is retained between BBM Enterprise users.
    But how do you know the chat is stored in the cloud as opposed to stored on the devices and re-sync'd between devices?

So far as I know BBM messages are peer-to-peer, tranist the server, and would only be retained on the server waiting to be delivered, but not stored. And so far as I know this is true for standard BBM, BBM Protected, and BBM Enterprise. I was hoping you had a reference source.

I've read a post that calendar and lists on enhanced BBM Groups are stored in the cloud, and this is the reason enhanced BBM Groups is not included in BBM Enterprise. I don't know if this is true concerning enhanced BBM Groups, but I don't know if that is true, but what is implied is that the BBM Enterprise chats and BBM Enterprise groups chats are not stored in the cloud.

Anyway, as I say, just hoped you could cite a source.
    06-08-17 04:31 PM
    Well, when I send a file it doesn't show as before waiting for acceptance from the recipient, it starts to send right away while the other side is offline, after the file is sent I turn off my phone and the recipient turns their phone on and they start to receive the file, this test means that the file was stored in the cloud, While the Sync way I am not quite sure if it is synced from devices as now it appears to be there is a Cloud Icon in the chat meaning it is stored in the cloud.
    06-08-17 04:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have the same issue. They really need to implement this. It's a relatively basic requirement.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-17 04:45 PM
    It's sad to see BBM (standard) decomposing. Granted the number of BBM contacts are decreasing as users give up on it and go elsewhere. I've always loved BBM and thought it superior to alternatives. I will stick with BBM for the contacts I still have. I still like it, but it's also true I have to have alternatives for other users who don't have or don't want BBM.
    06-12-17 05:19 PM
    FWIW : I just discovered a setting in BBM to "automatically save your chat history". When you enable it, it says "when turned on, your chat history is saved even when you end a chat with a contact. The next time you start a chat with that contact, your chat history is automatically restored". I wonder if this works cross device?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-19-17 10:51 AM
    FWIW : I just discovered a setting in BBM to "automatically save your chat history". When you enable it, it says "when turned on, your chat history is saved even when you end a chat with a contact. The next time you start a chat with that contact, your chat history is automatically restored". I wonder if this works cross device?

Posted via CB10
    I was waiting to see if anyone else would answer, as I'm not sure. But so far as I know the chat history is saved locally if you enable that option.

If you are asking if the saved chats would automatically restore to another device when you log in to BBM with your BBID on that other device, my belief is no. If you do a backup and restore from BB10 to BB10, the the answer is probably yes. If you do a device switch from BB10 to BlackBerry Android using BlackBerry's device switch utility, then the answer is probably yes, but I would confirm before doing it.
    06-20-17 05:53 AM
    The only chats that transfer even in best case scenario are groups. Someone correct me if that's changed recently.

Behold, my thumbs have spoken.
    06-20-17 07:38 AM