This is yet another great example of the ways in which Facebook, as a company, completely neglects privacy issues.

Harvard student lost Facebook internship after highlighting privacy flaw

Basically, because of how location information is shared, it is possible to message a total stranger, and then track his or her movements over time. Even when this was shared with Facebook executives, their response was to make this an "opt-in feature!" So, if I want to share location information with friends, I have to make it available to the entire world!

Since Facebook also owns Whatsapp, I would think the chances are good that there are similar gaps in the way Whatsapp protects privacy.

Common sense says that, If privacy and security aren't part of a system's core design, like they are with Blackberry and BBM, then you can be pretty confident that there are gaping holes like this.

What a great way for a thief to case a neighborhood...send anonymous messages to residents and track their movements!
    08-13-15 09:28 PM
    A gun can be used to commit or prevent crime. Really depends on the one who wields it.

Posted from an ME173X
    08-13-15 09:40 PM
    But in the real world, you don't know who is a criminal until you're a victim. I put locks on my doors and don't give out personally Identifiable information to third parties.

The fact that Facebook didn't fix this exploit when they were made aware of it tells me all I need to know about their respect of their users privacy.

If you don't mind that anyone who obtains your mobile number can simply send you an unsolicited message, and then trace your movements afterwards without your permission or knowledge, then Whatsapp might be a great app for you.

As a parent, I would not want my teenage kids to be vulnerable to that kind of exploit.

Also I doubt that many high profile people would want that either.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 01:04 AM
    A gun can be used to commit or prevent crime. Really depends on the one who wields it.

Posted from an ME173X
    Not a proper analogy. You like people tracking where you are just by sending them a message? I don't think that should be available to people to see.

Even if I were to go with your analogy though, you can at least work to prevent bad people from getting guns.

Posted with my  Classic
    08-14-15 02:28 PM
    Quit the facemeth.

 Classic
    David Tyler likes this.
    08-14-15 02:53 PM