BBM has been finally banned in Russian Federation according to this (in Russian):
    Роскомнадзор заблокировал четыре мессенджера - Экономика и бизнес - ТАСС

Announcement was made by Roskomnadzor. Allegedly, BBM "representatives" did not submit their contact details in time.
    05-03-17 05:13 AM
    I'm not finding any English news-sources backing this up. Any chance of a translation anywhere?
    05-03-17 02:30 PM
    I'm not finding any English news-sources backing this up. Any chance of a translation anywhere?
    FWIW: https://www.rt.com/news/386900-russi...ur-messengers/
    05-03-17 03:34 PM
    Allegedly, BBM "representatives" did not submit their contact details in time.
    More accurately, BlackBerry/Emtek chose not to abide by:

"Under Russia’s data privacy law passed last year, all companies processing the personal data of Russian citizens are obliged to store it on servers within the country’s borders for a half of the year and provide it to law enforcement if necessary."
    05-03-17 03:44 PM
    So, as far as bans go; a good ban.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-17 04:04 PM
    So, as far as bans go; a good ban.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt it was altruistic. It's probably that BlackBerry did not want to spend the money to build a server farm in Russia.

DTEK60 / Z30
    05-03-17 04:06 PM
    I doubt it was altruistic. It's probably that BlackBerry did not want to spend the money to build a server farm in Russia.

DTEK60 / Z30
    True, but that means the vast majority were willing to pay the price to the Russian regime. What price Whatsapp?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-17 04:17 PM
    More accurately, BlackBerry/Emtek chose not to abide by:

"Under Russia’s data privacy law passed last year, all companies processing the personal data of Russian citizens are obliged to store it on servers within the country’s borders for a half of the year and provide it to law enforcement if necessary."
    Yes, that is the main issue.
    For whatever reason, Roskomnadzor refers to "contact details submission" as an explanation of their last move.

Actually, BBM has never been officially supported in RF. As I remember, installations on non BB platforms and updates on all platforms were possible only through VPN.
    05-03-17 06:20 PM
    True, but that means the vast majority were willing to pay the price to the Russian regime. What price Whatsapp?

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp didn't comply yet and was not banned - yet.
    05-03-17 06:25 PM
    Not only BBM!!! I can't log in Blackberry ID anymore too!
    05-21-17 03:44 PM
    Not only BBM!!! I can't log in Blackberry ID anymore too!
    Can anyone confirm?
    05-21-17 04:03 PM
    Whatsapp didn't comply yet and was not banned - yet.
    Are you sure WhatsApp didn't comply? If so how could Russia use such double standards?
    05-28-17 12:32 PM
    Are you sure WhatsApp didn't comply? If so how could Russia use such double standards?
    I was sure when I have written that message. Didn't follow the story since then.
    How could... because Russia can?
    05-28-17 01:52 PM
    I think that's sarcasm, right. Standards, like rule of law? That is a good one.
    dmlis likes this.
    05-28-17 02:01 PM
    I'm in Russia right now testing BB10 and Android Enterprise BBM. VPN works UNTIL you insert a local Sim card (MTC in my case). The second the sim is inserted, it disables the BBM app and it cant even be started on BB10.

On android, the sim doesnt appear to have an affect, the app still opens normally and as long as you are on a VPN you can send and receive messages.

On bb10, opening the bbm enterprise app shows a 'connection failed screen, attempting to reconnect to bbm server' and it never does connect, even on vpn.

The second the sim is removed however, I can start the app and as long as im on wifi with a vpn, I can send and receive messages again.

In addition, I can open BlackBerry World while on the SIM, but if I navigate to the BBM app, it says it is 'not available for my device' in red letters.

Summary:
    So with BB10, looks like the app itself is blocked while on the MTC network and it can't be opened or downloaded/updated, even while on VPN.

On my Priv with the same SIM, there doesnt appear to be the same restriction and I can run the app as long as im on vpn.

Pretty ****ty that a Carrier can have that much control over what apps can be installed / run on an unlocked BB10 phone. BlackBerry please fix!
    06-18-17 06:14 AM
    not only BBM. Now no one carrier provides BIS support . any possibility to get BB 9900 mail client workable without BIS?
    09-28-17 05:42 AM
    Everything is correct, it's really banned in Russia, as I have a blackberry keyone and everything works except BBM, and I have been writing to the support service, but they told it's just a connection problem. But now I have found out that it is banned here, that's why it can't connect to the server and shows temporary connection failure.
    03-15-18 09:20 AM
    This situation is a little bit comic because in Russia BlackBerry KEYOne selling in official retailer's stores.
    03-17-18 05:03 PM
    MTS Russia is still supporting BIS. Try to check in MTS LK
    03-17-18 05:06 PM
    BBM Enterprise not working from the end of last year in BB10 even throught VPN. It will works only through VPN+Wi-Fi. On Desktops and on the BlackBerry Android it works with carries connection. But BBM Enterprise on BB10 hardly anyone needs at all. It's piece of garbage if you need to connect with your eployers through VPN+Wi-Fi+"dancing with a tambourine".
    03-17-18 05:12 PM
    not only BBM. Now no one carrier provides BIS support . any possibility to get BB 9900 mail client workable without BIS?
    No
    03-17-18 05:13 PM
    Use wifi / data with LogicMail. Its in BlackBerry World. Guide for BlackBerry OS with no BIS is somewhere in BBOS or Bold 9900 forums.
    03-20-18 12:06 AM