Hello.

What's up with BBM on Android consuming too much data?

This is an issue when using mobile data.

On BBM I have 2 contacts. No active chats.

BBM has consumed 13MBs over the past week. Most of it in the background.

Now to compare. My WhatsApp has over 300 contacts, about 60 of which are active constantly.

WhatsApp has consumed .9MB in the same period.

Does anybody notice this issue?
    04-11-14 10:09 AM
    I haven't really noticed. Do you have the BBM connected icon on in your taskbar? If so, you might try turning that off to see if it helps.
    04-11-14 11:25 AM
    I noticed that too, BBM consumed 250 MB in 2 weeks in the background on my other Android phone, don't know why though?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 04:43 PM
    Hello.

What's up with BBM on Android consuming too much data?

This is an issue when using mobile data.

On BBM I have 2 contacts. No active chats.

BBM has consumed 13MBs over the past week. Most of it in the background.

Now to compare. My WhatsApp has over 300 contacts, about 60 of which are active constantly.

WhatsApp has consumed .9MB in the same period.

Does anybody notice this issue?
    Maybe its channels consuming data?
    Try using an old version of BBM without channels and compare
    04-18-14 08:49 AM
    Maybe its channels consuming data?
    Try using an old version of BBM without channels and compare
    I don't think it's channels, I'm not subscribed in any channels.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 11:22 AM
    Huh.

In the last two weeks, mine has used less than 10MB. I'm not a super heavy user, but several messages and usually a few pics per day.
    04-18-14 05:24 PM
    I've seen BBM use 80mb+ in just a few hours. I have channels, but when I used an older version without channels, the data usage was still around 14mb over 3 hours. (sub to 9 channels)

In both cases, I've had the same number of conversations and just one group. The only difference was channels.

Still, compared to Whatsapp and Tweedle, this is way too much for such short convos.
    04-26-14 09:07 AM
    This is unacceptable.

My mobile data is limited to 250MB per month, BBM alone can deplete that, and without even receiving any messages!
    04-27-14 08:12 AM
    This is unacceptable.

My mobile data is limited to 250MB per month, BBM alone can deplete that, and without even receiving any messages!
    Yeah, I really don't think you should use any IM software. Emails. Or even surfing of the Internet. That's not a data plan that's an 'in case of emergency' plan.

I uses 5GB last month alone. And it wasn't that busy for me.

An instant message application that supports text / image / video. Multchat, single chat. Data use - in my opinion - isn't unacceptable. It's expected.

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-27-14 11:24 AM
    Yeah, I really don't think you should use any IM software. Emails. Or even surfing of the Internet. That's not a data plan that's an 'in case of emergency' plan.

An instant message application that supports text / image / video. Multchat, single chat. Data use - in my opinion - isn't unacceptable. It's expected.

Posted via CB from my LE
    In many countries, data packages aren't cheap esp where I live (UAE). The bundles and data limit might have been good for early 2000s, but don't really apply to this age.

Even the so-called "unlimited" daily data packages are limited to 100mb (perday) or less for blackberry and under 50mb for other smartphones.
    04-27-14 12:50 PM

Posted via CB from my LE
    The average data usage is 1.5 GB, who uses 5 GB? Unless you're a super super user.

I get a free 15 GB every 3 months and I barely use 6 GB with navigation, music downloads, lots of BBM voice calls and messages, even app downloads from BBW and I try not to use Wifi to try and finish them and I still don't get close

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 01:10 PM
    The average data usage is 1.5 GB, who uses 5 GB? Unless you're a super super user.

I get a free 15 GB every 3 months and I barely use 6 GB with navigation, music downloads, lots of BBM voice calls and messages, even app downloads from BBW and I try not to use Wifi to try and finish them and I still don't get close

Posted via CB10
    Maybe for you, but I wouldn't call 1.5 average by a long shot in my circles. Regardless my point was I am a super user and in either of our use cases it still leaves the point that IM use is a non issue.

Compared to 13MB used in a week for BBM on Android (per above originating post) I think the real issue is ... the OP isn't really BlackBerrys target demographic. Optimizing down Android users and low bandwidth users just isn't the biggest issue on their plate at the moment.

If 13MB / week is going to put you over - you should not leave any IM app on or only use IM apps that are locked to wifi. And you definitely should not be installing more than one IMHO

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-27-14 01:28 PM
    Maybe for you, but I wouldn't call 1.5 average by a long shot in my circles. Regardless my point was I am a super user and in either of our use cases it still leaves the point that IM use is a non issue.

Compared to 13MB used in a week for BBM on Android (per above originating post) I think the real issue is ... the OP isn't really BlackBerrys target demographic. Optimizing down Android users and low bandwidth users just isn't the biggest issue on their plate at the moment.

If 13MB / week is going to put you over - you should not leave any IM app on or only use IM apps that are locked to wifi. And you definitely should not be installing more than one IMHO

Posted via CB from my LE
    Is it normal for BBM to use 298 MB in the background in 3 weeks with no channels? Definitely no!

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 04:03 PM
    I'm glad I have an unlimited plan.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 04:15 PM
    Is it normal for BBM to use 298 MB in the background in 3 weeks with no channels? Definitely no!

Posted via CB10
    Depending on circumstances - yes

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-27-14 07:08 PM
    Depending on circumstances - yes

Posted via CB from my LE
    Really? Please explain how? Because I have about 25 channels on my BlackBerry and chat 90% more than on the Android phone yet BBM on Android uses data 6 times more than my BlackBerry so go ahead and explain how.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 07:36 PM
    Really? Please explain how? Because I have about 25 channels on my BlackBerry and chat 90% more than on the Android phone yet BBM on Android uses data 6 times more than my BlackBerry so go ahead and explain how.

Posted via CB10
    Sure if you really need me to. It really isn't difficult to explain how a person could reach 100mb a week without channels. Keep in mind only you use your BBM so I have no idea what's wrong with it.

I have 0 channels. I can surpass 100mb a week easily. I also have ~6 groups with 30->50 active users. Additionally all it takes is one busy BBM group to utilize that volume if only one person joins and leaves periodically.

Groups aside, upgrades, reinstall, synchronization can all cause a major spike. As again everything from profiles to days needs to match up and synchronize. If your non-bbry user to boot - who knows your on uncharted territory with BBM.

Outside of this I can probably come up with a lot more scenarios for the sake of it. But it won't help you

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-27-14 10:02 PM
    Sure if you really need me to. It really isn't difficult to explain how a person could reach 100mb a week without channels. Keep in mind only you use your BBM so I have no idea what's wrong with it.

I have 0 channels. I can surpass 100mb a week easily. I also have ~6 groups with 30->50 active users. Additionally all it takes is one busy BBM group to utilize that volume if only one person joins and leaves periodically.

Groups aside, upgrades, reinstall, synchronization can all cause a major spike. As again everything from profiles to days needs to match up and synchronize. If your non-bbry user to boot - who knows your on uncharted territory with BBM.

Outside of this I can probably come up with a lot more scenarios for the sake of it. But it won't help you

Posted via CB from my LE
    Okay, I don't have groups on that Android phone and I only have 7 contacts, and I chat on it once every 2 or 3 days, so again what you said above obviously doesn't fit my case.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 01:37 AM
    Have you made sure that all the updates in BBM have been switched off.
    So no status updates, music updates etc.
    I'd guess at some kinda syncing thing with android.

Oh and also for the People forgetting BBM Voice uses data too

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    Last edited by MiSsY_; 04-30-14 at 01:06 PM.
    04-28-14 02:16 AM
    Okay, I don't have groups on that Android phone and I only have 7 contacts, and I chat on it once every 2 or 3 days, so again what you said above obviously doesn't fit my case.

Posted via CB10
    That'll teach you to only give any level of detail at the end of a conversation

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-28-14 11:31 AM