09-13-14 09:42 AM
251 123 ...
tools
    Okay, basically I created this thread to share known bugs and also list suggested improvements for BBM. Feel free to chime in as I will update the list based on the replies.

Known bugs:
    1. Music status update doesn't work properly
    2. Settings for "Show My Country and Time", and "Save Chat History" doesn't stick (it keeps turning itself off once you close BBM and re-open it)
    3. No option to turn off "Updates" nor ability to limit/clear the recent ones
    4. Inability to categorize contacts and change font/emoticon size
    5. Clicking on a new message in the notification shade takes us to the last open message we were in, not the new one that's being shown
    6. Notifications for the same message going off more than once until we open it
    7. Swipe from the right does not open the menu. Instead, we have to click the three dots or use our android menu key
    8. Ping doesn't work (no vibrate) when we're pinging someone who currently is in the middle of conversation with us (their open chat windows are us.) Strangely, once they leave/close that chat windows, Ping works fine.
    9. In order to put emoticons in our status, we need to turn on Action Bar (which is huge thus quite disturbing during chat)
    10. In Group Chats, a lot of times, the messages appear out of order and are grouped under individual users rather than in the order they arrived.

Improvements needed:
    1. RAM usage: at this moment, BBM consumed 86 MB with 1 group and 3 active chats. It's a bit too excessive for me. Update: after a while, I noticed the memory used dropped to around 45-50MB. On the other hand, when trying to invite several friends, I noticed RAM usage fluctuated to a whopping 156 MB!

2. Low res pictures sent: yes we can tap and hold the pictures to request higher quality ones, but 15KB is a bit too small for me. It's a good idea to do that in legacy devices, not in Android phones (most of which come with higher than 4 inch screen). Anyway, some will find it a problem while some will not.

3. Persistent notification icon in system tray, see detail in BBM has an annoying persistent notification — but you might not want to turn it off | Android Central (PS. Mods, sorry for the link to other forum, but at least it's Mobile Nation site). I myself turn it off and found no problems whatsoever.

4. BBM Voice!!! Perhaps it will take some time to bring BBM Video to cross-platform BBM, but hopefully BBM Voice will be included in the near future's update. Update: nvm, it looks like BB has no plan to bring BBM Voice to Android version (perhaps so BB10 has higher appeal to the masses??)

5. Auto Text/Word Substitution is not present in this version of BBM. It's unclear whether we will receive it in the future or not since, as I recall in BBOS, auto text is embedded system-wise and not specific to BBM (ie. also present in email)

6. Option to turn-off BBM Group notification like one in 10.2 (current option is only to turn-off all notifications)

7. Landscape mode

8. Popup notification feature
    Last edited by avidberry; 10-30-13 at 07:24 AM.
    notfanboy likes this.
    10-21-13 11:30 PM
    Okay, basically I created this thread to share known bugs and also list suggested improvements for BBM. Feel free to chime in.

Improvements needed:
    1. RAM usage: at this moment, BBM consumed 86 MB with 1 group and 3 active chats. It's a bit excessive for me

2. Low res pictures sent: yes we can tap and hold the pictures to request higher quality ones, but 15KB is a bit too small for me. It's a good idea to do that in legacy devices, not in Android phones (most of which come with higher than 4 inch screen)
    Point number two is more of a personal taste than anything if I may counter. Its a perfectly logical thing to send low res pictures first to conserve on data usage.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 11:31 PM
    Perhaps so. That said, I'm thinking of additional pop up message asking whether we want to send compressed or uncompressed pictures or even the size we want it to be.

Point number two is more of a personal taste than anything if I may counter. Its a perfectly logical thing to send low res pictures first to conserve on data usage.

Posted via CB10
    Terser Nori and Bor Navas like this.
    10-21-13 11:41 PM
    Turning group notifications off even if you're not admin, broken ATM even if you're an admin

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    10-21-13 11:42 PM
    The RAM usage of this app is a bit crazy. I now know why their own OS requires so much... Uses as much as a web browser does...

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-22-13 01:16 AM
    Yeah ram usage is about 8 times bigger than other chat apps like line or whatsapp

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    10-22-13 02:56 AM
    Font size and emoticons in chat are too small. It would be nice if font size was configurable.
    10-22-13 03:07 AM
    can you request HQ picture when you receive an image, like BB10? That way you can get original or better version of the picture.
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    10-22-13 03:26 AM
    Yeah ram usage is about 8 times bigger than other chat apps like line or whatsapp
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/22/tejyhy6u.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    I'm glad my Note 3 has 3GB ram B-)

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
    10-22-13 03:54 AM
    Option to categorize your contacts like on the old bbm for legacy devices. Going thru say 50 contacts or more to find someone specific can be hectic
    W1zz and Theodore Willemse like this.
    10-22-13 03:59 AM
    Chat history keeps turning itself off
    Music Status Updates dont appear to work on my HTC One
    10-22-13 04:18 AM
    Good suggestion! I will include it in the list

Option to categorize your contacts like on the old bbm for legacy devices. Going thru say 50 contacts or more to find someone specific can be hectic
    10-22-13 06:07 AM
    Status bar icon is annoying but its there for a reason, and the reason is android OS kills some apps which are working in background, so BBM has to work in foreground through this notification, so that we don't get delay in messages.
    BBM is always known for its speed and security.
    10-22-13 06:15 AM
    The thing is, people will start to compare it with WhatsApp, Line, Hangouts, all of which behave differently than BBM. If you follow link in the OP, there's a short explanation behind this design choice. That said, I turned it off and found no problem whatsoever.

Status bar icon is annoying but its there for a reason, and the reason is android OS kills some apps which are working in background, so BBM has to work in foreground through this notification, so that we don't get delay in messages.
    BBM is always known for its speed and security.
    10-22-13 06:24 AM
    The thing is, people will start to compare it with WhatsApp, Line, Hangouts, all of which behave differently than BBM. If you follow link in the OP, there's a short explanation behind this design choice. That said, I turned it off and found no problem whatsoever.
    People so much used to of whatsapp but they are going to know bbm better as much as they use it.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    10-22-13 06:26 AM
    no bug here..everything is bcoz server busy for today..this version is first BBM cross platform, next time will be fixed by updating version. dont tell about bug or everything if you dont want this app will be delay anymore...just enjoy with this, and wait for update...
    10-22-13 06:50 AM
    I'm enjoying it for sure That said, it's important for BB to gather users' feedback to further improve it and perhaps other CB members could learn something from this thread (you know bugs and how to handle it, etc etc)

no bug here..everything is bcoz server busy for today..this version is first BBM cross platform, next time will be fixed by updating version. dont tell about bug or everything if you dont want this app will be delay anymore...just enjoy with this, and wait for update...
    10-22-13 08:59 AM
    Notification badge on icon is a must
    10-22-13 09:18 AM
    I don't get why everyone complains about RAM usage? Who cares how much it uses, I'm sure your phone has enough RAM to open an application.

Posted via CB10
    barnfoot likes this.
    10-22-13 09:24 AM
    Bugs so fat ive seen . Only that the bbm settings keep going back to default if the app is being closed completely (by a taskiller or whatever) .. ram usagge on mie i9300 is 24.35Mb so i feel it is not as high as you guy post here about. (24.35mb not chats or groups opened it gets low to 12.88mb when iddle) .. and i beleave the "what im listening" option should be there
    10-22-13 09:27 AM
    Screen real estate while typing a message is damn small (even while disabling the options keyboard in settings)!
    10-22-13 09:29 AM
    Because it is android. They like to keep 50% free and sitting there doing nothing than have it being used to feel secured. They like looking and making sure the glass is half empty.
    I don't get why everyone complains about RAM usage? Who cares how much it uses, I'm sure your phone has enough RAM to open an application.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 09:32 AM
    Because it is android. They like to keep 50% free and sitting there doing nothing than have it being used to feel secured. They like looking and making sure the glass is half empty.
    Its because we understand how memory management on android works, and y'all don't, obviously.

A 90MB chat app can cause something a bit more important to get shelved, when it makes no sense why they have created such a bloated, feature thin application.

Berry_Pink, bbhuh and PFman like this.
    10-22-13 10:18 AM
    Its because we understand how memory management on android works, and y'all don't, obviously.

A 90MB chat app can cause something a bit more important to get shelved, when it makes no sense why they have created such a bloated, feature thin application.

Maybe it's true that it's a ram hog now but so was what's app in its early stages. Remember this is bbm for Android version 1. You can't exactly expect them to be able to replicate the app experience from a native BlackBerry on day one don't you? There's a reason why upgrades are incremental it takes time to engineer and only feedback from real world use can ultimately help in deciding how to tinker the app. A little patience my friend?

Posted via CB10
    W1zz likes this.
    10-22-13 10:52 AM

Further if bbm isn't top of your list there's a blog out there on android central where it details that you can set persistent notifications to off so that bbm is given a lower priority. Since your not a fan of the app then it shouldn't be a bother not to receive messages instantly (if there does happen to be a delay as most users report that even with the setting off there were no major issues in messaging delay)

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 10:54 AM
251 123 ...