Made the move from BB10 to the Keyone recently and have started noticing ads on BBM. I didn't notice them at the start but have started seeing them everyday now. I was under the impression that on BB devices BBM was ad free? It really cheapens BBM and BlackBerry in general seeing ads when you assume that having spent $750 would be enough to have the hallmark company Messenger thrown in for free. Has anyone else noticed this?
    07-04-17 06:26 PM
    BBM, BlackBerry Mobile, and BlackBerry Ltd are now 3 different companies. BBM the company sees none of that $750. They have to monetize their users to make money with consumer BBM service.
    07-04-17 06:36 PM
    Best solution is to get their no ads subscription..

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 11:17 PM
    Best solution is to get their no ads subscription..

Posted via CB10
    Or use another messaging apps... lol
    07-04-17 11:43 PM
    This.
    07-04-17 11:47 PM
    Agreed. I don't have enough BBM users to warrant the subscription. SMS/WA/Hangouts would suffice.
    07-04-17 11:55 PM
    Of course, but that wasn't his primary question now, was it

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    07-05-17 04:07 AM
    BBM, BlackBerry Mobile, and BlackBerry Ltd are now 3 different companies. BBM the company sees none of that $750. They have to monetize their users to make money with consumer BBM service.
    By "monetizing" ads inside chats the best thing they can achieve is to close the doors.
    07-05-17 04:27 AM
    By "monetizing" ads inside chats the best thing they can achieve is to close the doors.
    And on the other hand, if they can't monetize the activity, then they should close the doors and save their investors a lot of money. That's their obligation as a company.

As usual there is very little real data about BBM usage, so I don't know if this strategy is working. All I know is that having no monetization strategy is clearly a bad answer.

This was different of course when BlackBerry Ltd (different company) owned and operated consumer BBM. Having access to BBM was a big part of why I bought my first BlackBerry. The need to maintain access is why I bought a few more over the years. So back then BBM was all about selling phones and keeping people like me and millions others on BIS plans. That was a fine strategy, but it's obsolete now.

Now BBM must make money on consumer BBM one way or another. Maybe the payment and health integrations will start to contribute revenue soon. Maybe as the network grows in size, the quality and frequency of ads will improve as well. All remains to be seen.
    07-05-17 04:37 AM
    BBM, BlackBerry Mobile, and BlackBerry Ltd are now 3 different companies.
    And regrettably, all three of these companies suck compared to the once mighty RIM.
    07-05-17 11:07 AM