I've just discovered one more MAJOR flaw in both BBM and BlackBerry Link software that I quite honestly can't believe.

Using the backup and restore functions of BB Link, I've just moved over from an older Z10 to a new one. Everything moved correctly EXCEPT BBM chat history. BlackBerry tech support now informs me that moving chat history is not possible... only the contacts move.

This is, quite frankly, unbelievable to me. I move from on BB to another, using BB software... and it's not possible for chat history to move with it?

Well guess what? All the OTHER non BB applications had their histories moved, including:

Yahoo Messenger
    Whatsapp
    LinkedIn
    WeChat

Why in the H377 does the chat history of all of these non BB apps move with the restore... and BBM chat history does not?

BlackBerry... it is this kind of crap that is leading to your downfall...
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    03-10-14 12:13 PM
    Where is the history stored? On the device memory? I guess I never had a reason to save BBM history.
    03-10-14 12:20 PM
    Had you logged into the device with your BBID prior to doing the switch?
    03-10-14 12:22 PM
    It is stored on the device memory... but so was all the history with the other apps.
    03-10-14 12:25 PM
    Yes... that's why all the contacts transferred correctly... but I'm told by BB that chat history is not supposed to transfer and there is no way to do it... which is ridiculous!
    03-10-14 12:26 PM
    Yes... that's why all the contacts transferred correctly... but I'm told by BB that chat history is not supposed to transfer and there is no way to do it... which is ridiculous!
    They don't want it to be transferable, because that makes it copyable. It's the same reason it is not saved to PRISM. It exists on the device it was encrypted for, and that's it.

That being said, try transferring it to your SD card from your old phone, and their switching the SD to your new Z10
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    03-10-14 12:33 PM
    WhatsApp doesn't allow cross platform, crosss device chat history transference though...
    03-10-14 01:21 PM
    WhatsApp doesn't allow cross platform, crosss device chat history transference though...
    I don't know about cross platform, but I can guarantee that it transfers from one BlackBerry device to another... just moved from old Z10 to new Z10 last night and all of my Whatsapp chat history moved to the new device. Same with everything except BBM.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-10-14 01:47 PM
    most likely whatsapp keep chat history on server too.

Posted via CB10
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-10-14 02:00 PM
    Why did you go from one Z10 to another? Did it stop working?

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 02:55 PM
    Why did you go from one Z10 to another? Did it stop working?

Posted via CB10
    Great question.

I travel extensively around the world. I always carry an unlocked phone with me that I use with local SIM cards wherever I am.

The second Z10 is just replacing an old Curve I used to use for that purpose.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-10-14 03:00 PM
    The way I look at it, if ANY personal conversations are kept client side and not on the user side, that isn't good.

I would prefer to NOT have my conversations kept and stored on someone else's end, other than the party that said conversation was with.

If WhatsApp etc, we're able to transfer all your conversations, what does that tell you?

It tells me that they keep your info stashed, regardless if erased or not.

BBM keeps all your info encrypted where it should be...on the user end.

If you transfer to new a device, you shouldn't have old conversations magically appear.

Hence why BlackBerry OS10 is s highly regarded, as the secure OS.

I prefer it this way.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:09 AM
    The way I look at it, if ANY personal conversations are kept client side and not on the user side, that isn't good.

I would prefer to NOT have my conversations kept and stored on someone else's end, other than the party that said conversation was with.

If WhatsApp etc, we're able to transfer all your conversations, what does that tell you?

It tells me that they keep your info stashed, regardless if erased or not.

BBM keeps all your info encrypted where it should be...on the user end.

If you transfer to new a device, you shouldn't have old conversations magically appear.

Hence why BlackBerry OS10 is s highly regarded, as the secure OS.

I prefer it this way.

Posted via CB10
    When I'm sitting in my own home, with 2 BlackBerry handsets in fro.t of me, and my personal computer with BlackBerry Link installed I should be able to transfer everything from one device to another without anything going to/from a server off site... except for maybe BlackBerry World to confirm I've paid for the apps being transferred to unit with new PIN.

The Whatsapp chat histories transferred to the new device because they were copied from my old device... not from a server.
    Same with SMS chat histories that also transferred successfully.

BBM should work the same way... in fact it should be the one setting the standard to work this way. Sadly BlackBerry has blown it again.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    03-12-14 08:15 AM
    Go into your chat>options>copy chat and paste somewhere.

The messages are stored locally. And this is a secure environment so being able to save bbm messages elsewhere would compromise that.

I don't see why you would need to keep conversations from before, but if you do, just copy the chat and save it into remember or a word document.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:42 AM
    I think this is done for a purpose of security..
    03-12-14 08:46 AM
    If you can backup everything for private use (including apps) why is there no chance for a BBM backup too? You could encrypt the whole backup incl. BBM chats. I really do not understand why they don't make it possible.

When you can read this, congratulations you know how to read
    03-12-14 08:55 AM
    If you can backup everything for private use (including apps) why is there no chance for a BBM backup too? You could encrypt the whole backup incl. BBM chats. I really do not understand why they don't make it possible.

When you can read this, congratulations you know how to read
    Exactly my points... there is no reasons BB Link should not be able to do this.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-12-14 09:56 AM