So, contacts can track my movements from the other side of the planet, but I can't send them a video longer than three seconds??

I just tried sending the same 7 second video that BBM would not send via WhatsApp, and it was sent straight through with no problems.

Also, it seems Apple BBM doesn't have file send option in the icons along with pics and Dropbox etc.?

This seems a strange feature to have neglected, no?

I do hope we see improvement soon in this area. Or have I got it all wrong??

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    02-21-14 04:31 PM
    BBM sadly is limited to 6MB for file transfers. And yes, it's a problem that should have been fixed by now.
    02-21-14 04:36 PM
    Thanks. Very awkward to have to ask a new BBMx (iOS) convert to send the video to me on WhatsApp instead. I only just managed to convince her to add BBM to chat with me.

I do understand that BlackBerry are under a lot of pressure to improve right now, while also being unable to spend money bulking up infrastructure, but I do hope they are able to expand their capabilities soon.

BBMx is great, and is much better than WhatsApp, but little things like this will be enough to chase some neutrals away from bothering.

kbz1960 likes this.
    02-21-14 04:41 PM
    So, contacts can track my movements from the other side of the planet, but I can't send them a video longer than three seconds??

I just tried sending the same 7 second video that BBM would not send via WhatsApp, and it was sent straight through with no problems.

Also, it seems Apple BBM doesn't have file send option in the icons along with pics and Dropbox etc.?

This seems a strange feature to have neglected, no?

I do hope we see improvement soon in this area. Or have I got it all wrong??

If you want to send a large video file you should do it using Dropbox. That is why BlackBerry added the feature in the latest update.

Regarding the missing file option on the iOS platform, it's a limitation of the OS. There is no file manager in iOS, so you can not select files of unknown type. Only Android and BlackBerry 10 can do this at the moment.
    02-21-14 04:53 PM
    But iOS can send videos via WhatsApp...

02-21-14 05:31 PM
    On WhatsApp limit is 16MB and BlackBerry is better so they should move limit on, at least, 20MB.
    If they can't do that they will never accomplish that people all around the world use BBM instead of other apps... My girlfriend have iPhone5 and she ask me "why I have to have two app when I can do everything with WhatsApp?"
    I said: Because I'm on BlackBerry and I want you to use it.... So it pass with my girlfriend because she love me but when I ask some friends to do the same I haven't been that lucky (by the way I'm from Split, Croatia and I live in Stockholm, Sweden(4mil. people town) and I don't know a single person that use BlackBerry... so in two country zero persons.) So if I want to convince somebody to use BBM that app has to be f{@%###g good... and it is but this 6MB is really handicap and I just can't fight with that.
    And @TheoRaud Yeah, you can use DropBox, you can use WhatsApp also but what's the point to have a BBM if you need to use other apps with same description... How I'm gonna tell my friends to install BBM but not to delete other 'cause they will needed. They are all ready familiar with WhatsApp, Viber, Line, etc. so if BlackBerry wants them they have to do something about this 6MB
    02-24-14 06:28 AM
    But iOS can send videos via WhatsApp...

And BBM can too, via Dropbox. I don't really understand what the problem is.
    02-24-14 05:38 PM
    On WhatsApp limit is 16MB and BlackBerry is better so they should move limit on, at least, 20MB.
    If they can't do that they will never accomplish that people all around the world use BBM instead of other apps... My girlfriend have iPhone5 and she ask me "why I have to have two app when I can do everything with WhatsApp?"
    I said: Because I'm on BlackBerry and I want you to use it.... So it pass with my girlfriend because she love me but when I ask some friends to do the same I haven't been that lucky (by the way I'm from Split, Croatia and I live in Stockholm, Sweden(4mil. people town) and I don't know a single person that use BlackBerry... so in two country zero persons.) So if I want to convince somebody to use BBM that app has to be f{@%###g good... and it is but this 6MB is really handicap and I just can't fight with that.
    And @TheoRaud Yeah, you can use DropBox, you can use WhatsApp also but what's the point to have a BBM if you need to use other apps with same description... How I'm gonna tell my friends to install BBM but not to delete other 'cause they will needed. They are all ready familiar with WhatsApp, Viber, Line, etc. so if BlackBerry wants them they have to do something about this 6MB
    I'm not talking about the standalone Dropbox app, I'm talking about the BBM Dropbox sharing feature:

Am I missing something, or does BBM SUCK at sending video?-img_20140224_224020.png
    hkkelvinlee likes this.
    02-24-14 05:41 PM
    That size limit is limiting bbm's abilities.

Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.2141
    02-24-14 05:41 PM
    That size limit is limiting bbm's abilities.

Would 20MB be enough for videos? No, not really. That's why they've added the Dropbox integration.
    02-24-14 05:45 PM
    I am BlackBerry user and I manage to convince my girlfriend to install BBM on her iPhone5 and then I realize that she can not download or upload video (5,57MB) from BBM and also when I sent her a video she had a expiry time to preview!!! ... so I see that like a huge problem... if BBM don't fix this problem soon they gonna lose one user and I'm pretty sure that she's not alone
    ..... I barely manage to convince her to open BBID and now I have to explain her that she need additional (new) account on DropBox so all her staff that she want to sent can float in some cloud...I see it like this: BlackBerry=Security&Privacy but communicate over DropBox is like I tell your friend to tell you confidential staff that only you should hear...privacy/security is gone cause you don't know will your friend tell all that staff to somebody else ... I really want to move from WhatsApp but so far they are more user friendly and I really don't know how I'm gonna do that. Somehow I think that I'm gonna lose only BBM contact that I have LOL
    Last edited by Lillian A; 02-24-14 at 06:17 PM.
    02-24-14 05:59 PM
    Something to bear in mind is this: sending a file from Dropbox is usually best done by direct link. This is something not so easily done elsewhere besides emailing a friend or family member the link from your dropbox account online. The process in BBM simplifies this greatly by generating a link and allowing direct access to the file in question without having to head to Dropbox to access the file and get that link.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    Lillian A likes this.
    02-24-14 06:12 PM
    Would 20MB be enough for videos? No, not really. That's why they've added the Dropbox integration.
    Why are there size limits anyways? Can't the servers handle it?

02-24-14 06:16 PM
    It's easy using Dropbox inside BBM. Sent 3 minute video to both iPhone and Android phones. I don't see the problem.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 06:37 PM
    Let's bear the following in mind: Not everyone lives on WiFi all day, the majority of people are not on an unlimited data option (it's there, just... yeah), and if I recorded a video at full 1080p like my Z30 can, then sent it off over BBM, first off it'd take a good while, and secondly it would chew through both my and most of my contacts' data plans in very short order. While many people do use BBM and other messengers strictly over WiFi, the vast majority do not. Therefore, to keep data usage down, BBM implements that cap on files sent. For everything else, there's Drop Box.
    02-25-14 01:04 AM
    It's easy using Dropbox inside BBM. Sent 3 minute video to both iPhone and Android phones. I don't see the problem.

Posted via CB10
    I haven't used the Dropbox, but don't both sides have to have it? Most of my contacts haven't got Dropbox, so that isn't as useful as simply having a higher limit.

Lillian A likes this.
    02-25-14 02:20 AM
    While I understand that using Dropbox will cut down on data plan usage, but why not just give the user the option to accept the video on their free time so they can wait until on Wifi. While drop box is a good option it is a 2 step inconvienence. Set the cap at 20mb and anything larger do through dropbox seems fair. Also why dropbox, if anything it should have been Box, they are more enterprise focused as well and seem to be more trusted when it comes to privacy and have a much larger data limit 50GB on Box compared to 3GB on dropbox.

Dropbox is a good short term fix but should not be the only option, its going to create hassle in areas blackberry doesnt need it. If whatsapp and imessage can do it than its one more thing to keep them from going back to blackberry
    02-25-14 02:43 AM
    I haven't used the Dropbox, but don't both sides have to have it? Most of my contacts haven't got Dropbox, so that isn't as useful as simply having a higher limit.

No, your contacts only need to click on a link.
    02-25-14 03:33 AM
    Yesterday I sent to my girlfriend same 5.57MB clip over a DropBox and she can preview but not download. If she wants to download she need account on DropBox so contact without DropBox are limited... and we are not talking here how much DropBox is good we talking here about things that BBM badly missing.... I don't have problem with anything. I can crop video, shrink video compress video, put it in a different extension, I'll do everything to send a clip of my daughter to her mama but most of the users are not even interesting to do such a things. They just want to attach the file and send or preview/download in two three click like you can with apps from competition. So if BBM don't change that I really don't see the reason why would people ban user friendly apps that they are used to it and start use BBM
    02-25-14 06:04 AM
    Dropbox is one answer but streaming from Dropbox is miserable. It is almost as easy to upload the vid to YouTube (set Privacy to unlisted). When the upload and conversion is complete YouTube sends you a link. Paste that into the BBM. Yes it's slow and clunky but it is currently the best option available.

BlackBerry could, and should automate the Dropbox transfer process. Just send any file you want via BBM. The upload to DB happens. A special background message is sent to the other side which their BBM understands as a DB link. It downloads and places the file in the appropriate place on their device. Then delete the file off DB. This way BlackBerry leverages what DB does well instead of trying to build a giant storage ecosystem. The size of the file is limited by how much space you have in your DB.

Of course I would take it much further and allow you to register multiple DB accounts so it could use whichever one has the available space. If none do, break the file into segments and use multiple accounts. This way you could have a bunch of free DB accounts and still send large files.
    This is how it works at the moment.
    02-25-14 04:58 PM
    If you want to send a large video file you should do it using Dropbox. That is why BlackBerry added the feature in the latest update.

Regarding the missing file option on the iOS platform, it's a limitation of the OS. There is no file manager in iOS, so you can not select files of unknown type. Only Android and BlackBerry 10 can do this at the moment.
    Why when other chat apps allow him to do what he wants
    02-25-14 05:00 PM
    02-27-14 05:16 PM