I was just helping a friend to setup her BBM on her brand new Samsung phone. After downloading BBM she said that she has forgotten the password to BlackBerry ID, the. When she figured it out she said she has forgotten her password for the email address that BBM has sent the reset passwords email

Finally when all was settled, she is required to setup who she is. That was when she added me as a contacts. When I was helping her out I keep on asking her to add our other friends as well. She refused because she keep insisting that her friends do not have any BBM so she cannot invite them to BBM or add them.

When asked for the reason why she just keep saying that they don't have any BBM.

I believe that this is a good reason for BBM to really reconsider letting people add contacts via matching their phone numbers & if they do, automatically send an invitation to them to add to their BBM. Then if the recipient is ok to approve & add to BBM.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 03:20 PM
    I fail to see your point.

Not having BBM means they didn't download the app, Therefore, making BBM phone number based is moot. If people have the app, they will have a PIN, a BBID and one can invite them.

And if they DON'T have the app, one can STILL invite them.

As for your friend. If you have common friends that are on BBM, have them invite her. Should show her what assuming does.
    11-05-14 03:29 PM
    I fail to see your point.

Not having BBM means they didn't download the app, Therefore, making BBM phone number based is moot. If people have the app, they will have a PIN, a BBID and one can invite them.

And if they DON'T have the app, one can STILL invite them.

As for your friend. If you have common friends that are on BBM, have them invite her. Should show her what assuming does.
    Sorry for my horrible English, my point is most of my friends who use BBM only want to add me to their BBM because I asked them to. They refuse to add anyone else including our common friends who also have BBM.

e.g. A,B & C and I are good friends. A, B & C have me in their BBM contact but not anyone else. Whenever A, B or C communicate they will use WhatsApp. When I ask A why he doesn't add B to his BBM, the answer is "don't want " & vice-versa.

Do any of you experience this?

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    11-05-14 09:30 PM
    That's the most illogical thing I've heard this year.

Try a different tactic... Create a BBM group and add all BBM-using friends. May work...

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 10:48 PM
    Done that... they just keep quiet all the time. it's only me chatting with myself in the group chat.

For another group I created a group chat & nobody approved their invitation.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    11-06-14 01:55 PM
    Done that... they just keep quiet all the time. it's only me chatting with myself in the group chat.

For another group I created a group chat & nobody approved their invitation.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. All said and done, BBM has more steps for set-up than Whatsapp. Not everyone understands the importance of security and other BBM merits.

BlackBerry needs to start converting the non-users because at the end of the day Whatsapp is extremely user-friendly (let's not start the secure vs. non secure debate), uses less data for msg transfer and has a strong telecom partnerships in developing and emerging economies.

Edit: OH and every time the app is removed/phone reset, a new PIN is allotted. Sharing with someone, a layman would rather give their phone number than unlock the phone, go to the app, click on their profile and then dictate the pin/scan someone else's, etc.

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.632
    Last edited by umaima.b.zia; 11-07-14 at 02:52 PM.
    11-07-14 02:36 PM
    I had another friend who deleted her BBM because her Sony Experia was running out of space. She insisted that I should use WhatsApp for messaging. Since I like stickers I should go to Line.

If I need to send documents use email instead.

If I want to do video calls to use Viber or Line.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    11-07-14 02:49 PM
    I had another friend who deleted her BBM because her Sony Experia was running out of space. She insisted that I should use WhatsApp for messaging. Since I like stickers I should go to Line.

If I need to send documents use email instead.

If I want to do video calls to use Viber or Line.

Posted via CB10
    Get.
    New.
    Friends.

The sheer lack of logic your friends display are an allarming warning they may be prone to some very stupid decision making habits.

If one is running low on space on a device, choosing to use ONE app that does it all (but needs you to re-add 5-20 people you talk to the most) and deleting 4 other apps sure sounds better to me.

But she told you to use three other apps instead.

OH and every time the app is removed/phone reset, a new PIN is allotted. Sharing with someone, a layman would rather give their phone number than unlock the phone, go to the app, click on their profile and then dictate the pin/scan someone else's, etc.

You seem to have completely ignored the idea of a BBID. The PIN matters little when you remember the email that person used won't change no matter the amount of devices/resets they go through.
    Also, adding people to BBM is easy. Period.

Adding contacts to BBM-img_20141109_150122.png

If they are right in front of you, scan barcode and be happy.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    11-09-14 12:58 PM

Also, adding people to BBM is easy. Period.
    Just counted the number of steps for an average person. They're not amused.

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.632
    11-09-14 01:03 PM
    So basically no matter what BBM solution is offered and shown to work flawlessly, it will just be dismissed.

What's the point then???

Good luck with whatever you're trying to accomplish here...

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 02:57 PM
    So basically no matter what BBM solution is offered and shown to work flawlessly, it will just be dismissed.

What's the point then???

Good luck with whatever you're trying to accomplish here...

Posted via CB10
    Not trying to accomplish anything. Just placing facts from a certain group of folks who are greater in number than those who understand the functionality in its essence.

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.632
    11-09-14 05:46 PM
    Not trying to accomplish anything. Just placing facts from a certain group of folks who are greater in number than those who understand the functionality in its essence.

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.632
    Yeah. Ok. Good luck with that...

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia and diegonei like this.
    11-09-14 06:00 PM