Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hello all,

I'm a long time CB lurker, and a long time BlackBerry employee. I recently took part of a BlackBerry Employee Hackathon where I created a roguelike game that I'd like to show you. It's a native game built for BlackBerry 10 and recently also released for the Playbook.

Retro Rogue - BlackBerry World
    Summary: Roguelike dungeon crawler
    Age Rating: Teen
    Price: $0.99

Retro Rogue for BB10 & Playbook-ss1.png

Retro Rogue for BB10 & Playbook-ss3.png

The rules of the Hackathon were quite relaxed and Retro Rogue is not a weekend effort. It took about 2.5 months of development in the late evenings, 2-3 hours a night. It was a ton of fun to make, and I hope to continue working on it from time to time.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Martin Cietwierkowski; 03-26-14 at 12:44 PM.
    03-26-14 12:16 PM
    Nice Martin! I looked to it with great interest

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 12:18 PM
    Retro Rogue has been updated to v1.2, with two new key features:
    - Revamped inventory and loot UI
    - Gamepad support (on BB10 only)

I hope to keep updating it with more and more features and more fleshed out gameplay in the future!
    daniel337 likes this.
    04-25-14 05:40 PM
    Love the loot and UI revamp, and it's a fun game. Seems I have had a few sudden crashes on the PlayBook version while in the inventory screen though.

Any chance of adding controller support in the PlayBook version (yes it can be done with certain controllers that act as a keyboard. ) or keyboard support in the future? I did a detailed writeup earlier on the SteelSeries Free. Seems like the iCade and 8-Bitty (and others) follow the same basic behaviour.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 07:24 PM
    I was looking for one of these.*purchased* tnx

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-25-14 07:52 PM
    Whoa! Indeed there is a crash when you press an empty inventory space. I don't know how that got past my testing! Crazy. I'll have an updated build post-haste. I'll post it tonight but it might take until Monday evening to show up in store.

Thank you very much.

As for Playbook controller. I had it in my mind to allow control via physical q10 keyboard, and I guess if I make it mappable to any keys that could double as a joystick for Playbook.. I'll keep it in mind for future updates.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    04-25-14 10:44 PM
    I've submitted a new version (1.2.1) for approval that fixes the inventory crash. I'm not sure if anyone will be around to approve on the weekend, you might not see it until Monday, or even Tuesday.

My apologies. I added a new feature last minute to put a visible "new" tag on newly looted items to make it easier to look up stuff you've just looted. It wasn't properly tested it turns out.
    daniel337 likes this.
    04-25-14 11:13 PM
    Dunno if it will help --- but I'll try and get a blog post out on this. Love it

Cool runnings, bobsled!

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-26-14 01:05 AM
    Of course a blog would help! Would love to read it. If you get around to writing the blog entry then please share the link!
    04-26-14 05:26 PM
    Love this game! Thanks! I really appreciate the updates.
    04-28-14 10:02 PM
    05-30-14 11:21 AM
    Check out Martin's other game, my kids enjoy playing it.
    10-02-14 08:59 PM
    Don't forget retro display mode, best feature evar

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:26 PM
    This game is awesome.
    12-18-14 07:30 PM
    Hi Martin,
    Thanks a lot I had a lot of fun with the game, it works completely flawless and smoothly on my passport. I love the retro effect, it's simple but original and amazing. However, to be honest I didn't get too much involved in the scenario and I was wondering if I missed anything maybe: Once you've reached the lair and finished the action, is there anything more to do or is that the end?
    Thanks again for the great fun, it's really perfect on a passport screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 07:58 PM
    How the heck did you defeat the game? I enjoyed the game, but ultimately found it frustrating because the game appears to be entirely reliant on random chance: that you happen to find healing potions and powerful weapons and armor.. There is no real development of character stats or abilities, so every time I play, I always get to a spot where the monsters are way too fast and powerful and I run out of healing potions and I can't run away (did I mention that the monsters are too fast) and then I die.. Sometimes you find a bunch of spectacular weapons and armor and you manage to hoard a bunch of potions so you last a little longer, but eventually you always come to a level where there's at least one monster that moves twice as fast as you, so you can't run away, and hits you 3-4 times for every opportunity you get to hit, and you die..
    12-31-14 05:43 PM
    Great game. Thank you very much!
    01-12-15 02:44 PM
    I really love this game, it reminds me of Moria from the DOS days. But, I I have to agree with f_d. There is too much left up to chance and it's impossible to make any decent amount of progress. I think a good addition to the game would be currency (like gold) and a merchant shop on the surface level where weapons and potions could be bought and sold.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 10:23 AM
    You can indeed win the game. There's no denying that you need some luck - but what I suggest is going down stairs as soon as you can, don't clear out the level first. There's a risk to this, but, you can get higher level stuff if you can make it down a level or two, then come back up to the level you should be at, and clear it out while taking less damage.

Also, learn the movement patterns the monsters - some will move every other turn, some will move 2 out of 3 or 4 out of 5 turns - hit them, then run away during the turns they move, then hit them again. Some move twice every turn - if you're going down extra levels to pick up higher powered stuff, avoid these guys, or if they see you, try to make it back up the stairs - they won't follow you to the next level. There are some that may move 4 times in 3 turns - try to run away from them and make them use up a 2 attack turn to end up right beside you - that way you get 2 attacks in before they double up on you.
    02-27-15 12:00 AM
    Hi Bryan,
    Any advice on what to do once you've reached the lair and cleared it? Is that the end or is there anything more to do as part of the scenario?
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:50 AM
    My favourite game but sadly all my save data randomly disappeared

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 03:18 AM
    My favourite game but sadly all my save data randomly disappeared
    I'm sorry to hear that. This is a one-life sort of game, your saved game is deleted when you die. If your game got deleted without dying then that's unexpected and I will keep an eye out for that. Thank you.
    04-02-15 08:41 AM
    Any advice on what to do once you've reached the lair and cleared it? Is that the end or is there anything more to do as part of the scenario?
    That's the end of the game at this point. Thank you for playing!
    04-02-15 08:41 AM
    That's the end of the game at this point. Thank you for playing!
    Thanks a lot for building the game, that's an amazing one! And thanks a lot for taking the time to answer the question.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 03:40 PM