Another board I frequent is Brighthand. The rudeness level we see here would lead to bans there. This board is larger and more active but that's no excuse for the mods to allow a rude tenor to become mainstream at CB. I suggest that when people flame newbs for not "searching properly" or whatever, they should receive a warning. Active moderators can reduce the rudeness.

Often it takes just as many keystrokes to answer a question as it would take to say "RTFM" or "Use Search Darnit". This is an excellent New Years' resolution and I hope it takes root here. I like my BB experience and I enjoy reading CB forums. But I'd like to see a more civil tone and a more tolerant approach to newbs.
    12-22-08 09:25 AM
    I Totally Agree. I Made A Post In The "Storm" Section Last Week but Apparently The Answer To My Question Was Covered In A Sticky And Those "Stormers" Gave Me The BUSINESS!!!!!! I Don't Know If They Were Upset Bcz Their Having Problems With Their Phones But I Never Received Replies Like That To Any Of My Posts In The Curve Section No Matter How Simple The Answer Was. On Top OF That The Answer To My Question Only Required A "Yes" Or "No". "Theres No Such Thing As A Dumb Question"
    12-22-08 12:20 PM
    I just wanted to say thank you for that post. It is a bit depressing to see folks bashing one another instead of helping. Make love, not war!
    12-22-08 02:21 PM
    Thank you for posting the reminder. I hope that some of the more impatient folks will take the Resolution to heart and focus on helping rather than chastising.

Please remember that many new BB owners don't yet have the vocabulary down . . . it's hard to search for a solution in the forums when you aren't using the right terms. For example, searching for a way to move icons to the side would be much easier if you know that you need a "zen theme."

I've learned so much from these forums - the positive tone and helpful members led me to become a member months before I got my Bold. Thanks to everyone who adds positive, helpful, and outright fun responses to the forums!
    12-22-08 07:19 PM
    Well said ...... I am sure this site will continue to grow and get better
    12-22-08 09:25 PM
    Im new here, but another forum I am on has a feature when you type in a SUBJECT in the SUBJET LINE, the system pulls up some possible topics.

Also, ALWAYS put in a detailed subject, not PLEASE HELP.....

chaz
    Hotukdeals uses that system. The suggestions are followed with the request to not double post.

I fully agree with the post here. We all need to remember why we come here - to get help and to discuss the best gadgets in the world, Blackberries.

The feature I would like to see on the site is a thanks/kudos button. In sites such as these there are many extremely helpful people and sometimes we forget to give a simple thanks. The button also serves as a recognition scheme. AVForums uses this scheme and it works well. They display the number of times you have been thanked as well the number of thank yous you have given. The vBulletin software does support it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-08 06:36 AM
    Well said. I too am a newbie and if I asked a question I wouldn't want people flaming me for doing so. I think that this sticky is a great reminder for those posters about CB rules and conduct.

12-23-08 11:42 AM
    I totally disagree. We should all be attacking each other and making people who ask stupid questions feel ashamed and unworthy of a response.

This forum should be a model of real life where the downtrodden and oppressed should be further denigrated by the smart and rich.

We should be exclusive and snobby. If you�re a newbie � you are not welcome here. Go away. To those who do �belong� here: Let�s all agree to be animalistic and aggressive. If it can be said nice � it ain�t worth saying.

Much more has been accomplished in this world by being mean and angry.

If I can�t ruin someone�s day and make them feel like the moron they are � then why even start a conversation?

(tone was sarcasm � RELAX)

Kevin, Well said! Let�s all play nice � it makes this forum so much more pleasant when we all get along.
    12-23-08 12:01 PM
    Kevin -
    Thanks for posting. Let's keep it positive. Almost forgot CrackBerry Nation......

Last edited by Blacklatino; 12-23-08 at 10:53 PM.
    12-23-08 10:39 PM
    Right On Kev,

Hope you are having a relaxing and great Holiday!!!!!
    12-26-08 08:19 AM
    Search will be my Friend, Patience will be my Brother, Polite will be my Father, RESPECT will me my Mother, just dont forget about my distant cuz HUMOR

If you see my sworn enemy Spelling don't pay him no mind I can never understand him either

I hope every one from CB a berry happy holidays and a crakin new year

I wish everyone could remember this!!!
    Thanks Kevin for the much needed reminder. The BB world can be very intimidating for a newbie and a little patience and understanding goes a long way.

"A gentle answer turns away wrath"

Happy New Year everyone!!
    12-27-08 04:17 PM
    I wish everyone could remember this!!!
    Thanks Kevin for the much needed reminder. The BB world can be very intimidating for a newbie and a little patience and understanding goes a long way.

"A gentle answer turns away wrath"

Happy New Year everyone!!
    Well said. Happy New Year to you and everyone else on here.

12-27-08 04:31 PM
    thats awesome Garz ....
    it should be turned into a theme
    12-28-08 01:47 AM
    Hey Folks,

2008 is winding down and man oh man has it be a crazy good year for the BlackBerry world and especially CrackBerry.com. We've seen the site grow by leaps and bounds. We've truly grown from CrackBerry village to CrackBerry community to CRACKBERRY NATION!

With this growth and size come huge benefits and also challenges. Looking at benefits, we have a huge knowledge base, a vibrant and diverse community and a lot of fun!

On the other side of the equation, we have an emerging challenge that seems to be on a bit of a slippery slope as of late and it's something we need to resolve to fix as a community - a lack of patience! In pretty much every BIG forum community I have ever visited or participated in, there always seems to be the same issue... As the site grows, the tone of the board changes a bit. Because we are such a big and active community, we are comprised of members from all parts of the BlackBerry life cycle - complete newbies, old pros and everything in between. We have members who have been here a week and members who have been here since day one. This mix causes the challenge... it's been noted in this thread and I received an email from a member just yesterday who words it so well I'm simply going to cut and paste it in here to explain:

Let me preface this by saying I enjoy the site and will continue to...
    but... I gotta say that while there is an obvious problem with people
    posting topics before they search (or search WELL, which is part of it
    because a search only works well depending on your search-terms), I am
    having a much bigger problem reading post after post of taunting or
    chastising people for failing to use the search (well).

While a poster might post one misplaced topic, the thread then keeps
    getting new life as poster after poster appoints themselves in charge
    of explaining how that topic has already been discussed and/or making
    fun of the poster for being so moronic (sometimes actually calling
    them a moron) for not doing research before excitedly posting. It's
    not merely a waste of time to see these posts--it's offputing from a
    tone-of-the-site perspective.

So here's our resolution CrackBerry Forum Nation......

As a community, let's keep it helpful and friendly in the forums for 2009.

At CrackBerry.com we take pride in keeping these forums very open. If you've been here a while you've probably noticed this yourself. We don't want the forums to be a police state where you need to be scared to post something for fear of getting banned by a moderator.

At the same time, posting on this forum is not a right... it's a privilege that's granted when you register here and agree to the terms and conditions, which include following the forum rules and guidelines, including our rules for General Member Conduct, which I'll post right here:

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don�t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always use the Report Post function - exclamation mark inside a triangle at the top right corner of every post - to report something to the mod team that you think is offside). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you�re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won�t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

When it comes to this forum resolution for 2009, it's going to take the whole community to see make it happen. We *could* put down the moderation hammer and clean things up, but honestly, that's the last thing I'd ever want to see happen here and it would be worse on the forum as a whole. We need to police our own actions and the problem will take care of itself. It really is simple. If you can't be nice in the response you're about to post, then just don't post it. The community is big and somebody who's willing to respond in a more positive tone is likely just around the corner and will step in.

Let's make it happen CrackBerry Nation! As I said above, this is an issue that all big community forums tend to run into, but I know this forum is a cut above the rest. We can continue to make this THE place to be for all things BlackBerry and do it in a friendly and fun manner.

Have a safe and happy holiday season and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    Kevin very well put and also we all have to remember we all were newbies at one point in time ........
    12-28-08 01:58 AM
    well said Kev
    12-28-08 02:33 PM
    Whoever wrote that email read my mind.

This is the reason I joined and stuck around... being able to post and not have to worry about being ridiculed.

Like Kevin said, we are a nation now and it's going to get harder, but I have faith in my fellow Crackheads!

This is the best and greatest community that I am very proud to be a part of.
    I agree big time with the "Whoever wrote that email read my mind"

I've added this thread to my signature for a while in an effort to spread the good word.

When I've welcomed some newbies I've often added this:

...Take advantage of the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Crackberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help. Some searching tips... Go To: Search Forums / Advanced Search / Key word search / search by title / "pick a key word" that comes to mind and you might stumble upon some answers and/or clues. Or search by Post content...

Not only have I found so much here on CB for myself, by using the Search Engine, I've answered many a question and passed on many a thread link by doing just that... Search!

Love it and Happy New Year to all !!!
    12-28-08 05:27 PM
    Great post I have been looking for a forum with these qualities.

12-29-08 12:15 PM
    I love being part of the crackberry community even though I am a new member, and definitely a newbie to my BB which I've only had since November (and its my first BB). I know that if I had a question I could ask it here and not get treated like an ***** (even though I feel that way sometimes)

...short story: I put in the wrong PIN 3x - yay for being half asleep and not realising till after my phone was locked I put in my password and not PIN...which are now the same so I don't do that again -> got my phone locked on christmas eve, couldn't contact family/friends/etc -> had to get PUK code from tmobile -> T-mobile call centers were closed Christmas day -> called 12/26 -> got the PUK code from an a super nice lady who I told she saved my day [lol], who told me to have a good night and holiday....definitely a great first experience with T-mobile customer service -> learned the hard way to backup my phone, which I do now -> happy BB user again.
    12-29-08 11:53 PM
    Thanks for the great words Kevin! Obviously, you listened to your parents like I did. Also, I always remember the old adage: If you have nothing nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all. That tidbit will always be in my brain. Now on to my resolutions:1-Get a new blackberry, Bold,Javelin, or Curve. 2-Keep my phone charged at all times. 3-No brightly colored b-berries(black,blue,or red). 4-Always mention New Orleans in my posts. These should be easy to do ha ha!! Peace and love 2 all the crackberry heads in 2009!!!

12-30-08 04:38 PM
    totally agree Kevin!
    & Happy New Year everyone!!
    12-30-08 11:06 PM
    I can only hope that everybody will read this
    Agreed 110%.
    01-01-09 02:23 PM
    First of all just wanna say crackberry is an amazing site and great loveable forums
    It has helped me to purchase the right berry for me and helped me when I already got one.
    Thanks

As for my berry resolution of the year, I hope I can upgrade to bold or jave LOL
    But for now, I love my 8320

01-01-09 02:53 PM
    I agree 100%, Kevin. Happy New Year everyone

01-01-09 03:30 PM
    I have been helped many times and have learned a lot here. I want to thank you all.
    S.F.Vic
    01-01-09 03:50 PM
    I want to become a crackberry master
    01-02-09 08:58 AM
121 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD