Apparently at Black hat this week they are going to show an SMS exploit which will allow hackers to take control of your device. I am posting this purely for informational purposes and to warn people (in case this is proved to be true)

How To Hijack 'Every iPhone In The World' - Forbes.com

iPhone Hacker is back! iPhone virus is discovered | Taszara.com

This article also talks about trojans created for Iphones.
    07-30-09 01:59 PM
    i heard about this on the radio this morning. Apple has been silent and hasnt released a patch for it. The two guys who found this exploit demonstrated it for one of the writers at Cnet, using the writers iPhone!:
    Researchers attack my iPhone via SMS | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

It appears to be true, I looked at Black Hat's website and one of the guys who discovered it is really scheduled to speak today. The summary of his topic is SMS messaging and smartphone vulnerabilities....
    Last edited by sfstorm; 07-30-09 at 02:43 PM.
    07-30-09 02:40 PM
    Apparently it works for all GSM phones:

technologizer.com/2009/07/30/your-phone-is-probably-vulnerable-to-malicious-text-messages/
    07-30-09 05:09 PM
    As stated above, they are now saying all GSM phones are vulnerable.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/07...tacks-iphones/
    07-30-09 05:57 PM
    Apparently at Black hat this week they are going to show an SMS exploit which will allow hackers to take control of your device. I am posting this purely for informational purposes and to warn people (in case this is proved to be true)

How To Hijack 'Every iPhone In The World' - Forbes.com

iPhone Hacker is back! iPhone virus is discovered | Taszara.com

This article also talks about trojans created for Iphones.
    I don't think it is a good idea to show these sorts of things to people... since it effects ALL gsm phones it seems liek the information (Which EVERY GSM phone will need a patch for...) could be dangerous to nearly the whole world! :O

(I mean black hat, Not you.)
    Last edited by branmarc; 07-30-09 at 06:14 PM.
    07-30-09 06:05 PM
    I don't think it is a good idea to show these sorts of things to people... since it effects ALL gsm phones it seems liek the information (Which EVERY GSM phone will need a patch for...) could be dangerous to nearly the whole world! :O

(I mean black hat, Not you.)
    I think it's an extremely good idea to let these loop holes be known. Some "evil" hacker would be bound to find it and exploit it and then people who be really screwed, but at least these guys let the right people know about the hacks so they can start fixing them.

Yea it does effect "most" gsm phone, but not all and not to start a flame war, but android running 1.5 OS have been patched and I haven't seen 1 article to name a RIM device as being vulnerable.
    07-30-09 09:01 PM
    after reading this i will happily say, i will stick to my bb storm
    08-05-09 12:17 PM
    so what can they do.. just send texts from your phone to others?
    08-05-09 12:19 PM
    so what can they do.. just send texts from your phone to others?
    That and more. Supposedly, they can do anything you can do on the phone.
    08-05-09 03:12 PM
    Well apple released an update Saturday to prevent it
    08-05-09 03:55 PM
    Well apple released an update Saturday to prevent it
    A few people on the iPhone forum here have said that they believe that the chances of an attack are virtually nil, so they won't upgrade.

Which means that if there are many more that think along their lines, the hole's still open in a lot of iPhone in the wild. Regardless of if this hack can easily be done.
    08-05-09 04:14 PM
    after reading this i will happily say, i will stick to my bb storm
    Or will your Storm screen be the one that's sticking?
    08-05-09 04:43 PM
    I myself didnt update my iphone either. oh well. switching to sprint next month anyway...
    08-09-09 05:26 AM
    A few people on the iPhone forum here have said that they believe that the chances of an attack are virtually nil, so they won't upgrade.

Which means that if there are many more that think along their lines, the hole's still open in a lot of iPhone in the wild. Regardless of if this hack can easily be done.
    If people didn't upgrade, they really shouldn't be afraid. I believe they need to send you 512 SMS in a row, and if 1 is deleted or you restart your device, the hack fails. I don't know about you, but if I saw 5 SMS messages from a random number/person sent to me in a row, I would shut down right away, or at least start deleting them.
    08-09-09 11:04 AM
    If people didn't upgrade, they really shouldn't be afraid. I believe they need to send you 512 SMS in a row, and if 1 is deleted or you restart your device, the hack fails. I don't know about you, but if I saw 5 SMS messages from a random number/person sent to me in a row, I would shut down right away, or at least start deleting them.
    I agree that if it does take 512 straight messages, there shouldn't be too much to be afraid of for not upgrading. But either way, the hole's still there. If someone eventually figures out a faster way of attacking the same hole...
    08-09-09 04:58 PM
    I agree that if it does take 512 straight messages, there shouldn't be too much to be afraid of for not upgrading. But either way, the hole's still there. If someone eventually figures out a faster way of attacking the same hole...
    Oh I agree, I just think this hack was blown out of proportion. If a faster way is found, then yes this hack can really be a pain.
    08-09-09 06:18 PM
    If someone eventually figures out a faster way of attacking the same hole...

Yes, I know, I'm immature.
    08-09-09 09:57 PM
    ^ I totally agree!
    08-15-09 10:39 AM
    awwww! there's a hack already
    08-23-09 04:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD