It becomes a real hassle...especially when I want to take a photo in a quiet place without everyone in a 10 meter radius of me turn their heads at me. I don't understand the fascination with imitation shutter sounds, its definitely not needed on a phone's camera. BUT anyways, is there any way to disable it?
    07-18-09 02:09 PM
    I really dont think you can, I've been asking about this myself every chance I get. Anyone who finds out , please post.
    07-18-09 02:14 PM
    Quit taking pictures of women without them knowing. Joking. You can't turn the shutter sound off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 02:14 PM
    It seems like such a simple option to include.....I hope this doesn't turn into a thread about me asking for someone to make a tiny app that turns the shutter sound off!
    07-18-09 02:17 PM
    Rim has had some minor things slip. Hopefully this is something that they can fix soon.
    07-18-09 02:20 PM
    It seems like such a simple option to include.....I hope this doesn't turn into a thread about me asking for someone to make a tiny app that turns the shutter sound off!
    RIM won't be including it anytime soon (if ever). Its there for a reason.... you'll see several threads discussing it (if you can be bothered to search).

There are already a couple of apps I am aware of that do disable the shutter sound...

BerryAnnoying : BerryAnnoying - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    or
    CameraMuteApp : MobileUtil - CameraMuteApp
    07-18-09 02:23 PM
    yeah, im looking for a free small app to be made that can can run in the background or launches whenever the camera is launched that will only disable the shutter
    07-18-09 02:28 PM
    It's a legality thing. All cameras are supposed to make a sound when taking a picture for privacy issues. RIM itself can't make an option to disable the sound, but as mentioned before, there are apps that can disable it.
    07-18-09 02:38 PM
    As already stated, there isn't a way to disable the shutter sound on CDMA phones but there is a way to make it less noticeable. The trick is to call your voicemail, then open the camera app and take the picture. The sound will still occur but it will be quiet.

07-18-09 02:44 PM
    You can't. It's because of perverts.
    07-18-09 05:10 PM
    It's a legality thing. All cameras are supposed to make a sound when taking a picture for privacy issues. RIM itself can't make an option to disable the sound, but as mentioned before......
    Totally untrue. There are recent model phones other than BB that do not force a camera sound.

07-18-09 05:49 PM
    And if you had searched, this has been discussed to the extreme...
    07-18-09 05:49 PM
    And if you had s----hed, this has been discussed to the extreme...
    i concur

(bleeped the word , i cannot use the word )
    07-18-09 05:53 PM
    I read a long time ago that it was for legal reason. Far too many perverts taking pictures of people without their know how.
    07-18-09 06:13 PM
    Post proof of legal action. Plenty of phones have been released recently that don't force a camera sound.

I don't mind that it does it though.

07-18-09 06:34 PM
    Post proof of legal action. Plenty of phones have been released recently that don't force a camera sound.
    news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09%2F01%2F26%2F1846209&from=rss
    techfragments.com/news/318/Tech/New_Law_Will_Require_Camera_Phones_to_Click.html

the actual bill:
    thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR00414:@@@L&summ2=m&

i believe this is still being looked at and will most likely be laughed out, but its silly that it was even proposed.
    07-18-09 06:54 PM
    I read a long time ago that it was for legal reason. Far too many perverts taking pictures of people without their know how.
    Yes. And if you spam everybody you know with the special Microsoft tracking email, Bill Gates will send you a check for thousands of dollars.

I would also give Mr. Bkumeki Sokmiputulo of the Nigerian royal family all of your bank information so you can take your cut of the massive wire transfer from an offshore account.

Everything you read on the Internets is true!

07-18-09 07:13 PM
    news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09%2F01%2F26%2F1846209&from=rss
    techfragments.com/news/318/Tech/New_Law_Will_Require_Camera_Phones_to_Click.html

the actual bill:
    thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR00414:@@@L&summ2=m&

i believe this is still being looked at and will most likely be laughed out, but its silly that it was even proposed.
    Probably the source of the urban legend. The FCC employs two people full time to answer inquiries about chain letters claiming atheists are suing to stop religious broadcasting. It stems from a lawsuit that was dismissed in the early sixties, and the chain letters started as snail mail then mutated (I almost wrote evolved) to email.

Years ago, a Texas legislator wanted to prove his colleagues had no idea what they were voting for, so he introduced a resolution commending Albert DiSalvo for his work in population control.

It passed. Mr. DiSalvo is better known as the Boston Strangler.

07-18-09 07:24 PM
    It's not a legal requirement in the U.S. to have a camera shutter sound. There is no law requiring it, and so manufacturers have their own discretion on this feature. There's one bill under consideration, but it looks like it's going nowhere soon.

As for other countries, a cursory check of wikipedia shows that Japan and South Korea have laws requiring the sound. However, there's no citation on that snippet, so YMMV.
    07-18-09 10:07 PM
    Check this out....
    Thanks for all the links.
    07-18-09 11:08 PM
    Thanks for all the links.
    No Problem. There are a lot more threads about that, but didn't want to make a 12 page post... I wish people would do a search before starting new threads. There must be hundreds just for the shutter sound allone...
    07-19-09 12:09 AM
    It's a legality thing. All cameras are supposed to make a sound when taking a picture for privacy issues. RIM itself can't make an option to disable the sound, but as mentioned before, there are apps that can disable it.
    This is not true. The small, P&S cameras like the Nikon CoolPix line and the cannon lines have the ability to turn off ALL sounds.
    07-23-09 08:05 AM
    10-24-09 07:24 PM
    This is not true. The small, P&S cameras like the Nikon CoolPix line and the cannon lines have the ability to turn off ALL sounds.
    Yup, there is no legal reason. Even on my Sony Handycam camcorder there is a setting to turn off the visible red recording light on the front.
    10-24-09 11:57 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD