Which is better? I emailed Garmin about a storm release, and I got this reply:

"I would be happy to help you with this. At this time the Storm is not on our compatibility list. However we do know that a specific build is being developed for it. It is possible it will be released in the next week or two. Please check our website for any updates. Thank you."

So if that is due out shortly, which is better?
    12-09-08 07:09 AM
    How much is the garmin?
    12-09-08 07:11 AM
    Seems like a generic response. Also anything is better that VZN
    12-09-08 07:12 AM
    Which is better? I emailed Garmin about a storm release, and I got this reply:

"I would be happy to help you with this. At this time the Storm is not on our compatibility list. However we do know that a specific build is being developed for it. It is possible it will be released in the next week or two. Please check our website for any updates. Thank you."

So if that is due out shortly, which is better?
    I trust the Garmin brand more, but without trying you never know. Something that I would like, is a navigation program that stores the maps in the phone's internal memory or SD card so it would be completely independent from a cell phone signal.
    12-09-08 07:16 AM
    Based on what? VZ nav from what I have seen on my phone is pretty good.. So if I lose cell signal my maps wont work, even on VZ Nav 4?
    Last edited by psufan5; 12-09-08 at 07:25 AM.
    12-09-08 07:16 AM
    Garmin > all
    12-09-08 07:21 AM
    Also anything is better that VZN
    ? Based on what? VzNav provides all of the benefits of the others plus traffic. I have a Garmin 200W that I gave my wife becuase VZNav would out do in accuaray. The only real competitor is TeleNav IMO.
    12-09-08 07:52 AM
    ? Based on what? VzNav provides all of the benefits of the others plus traffic. I have a Garmin 200W that I gave my wife becuase VZNav would out do in accuaray. The only real competitor is TeleNav IMO.
    Well you go ahead and enjoy renting your gps then. I would rather have something that I am going to use longer than I own my phone. Paying for the service is a rip off considering GPS signal is free.
    12-09-08 08:02 AM
    Well from other posts on the subject I read, and visiting a link someone posted about cost I would think Garmin is better.

1 time $100 fee for lifetime of the phone vs 15 bucks a months definitely sounds better.
    12-09-08 08:02 AM
    garmin seems like a sweet deal if you dont already have a dedicated gps for your car
    12-09-08 08:08 AM
    I love my VZNav. I have a TomTom and have compared routes, and like VZ's plotting--with traffic--better.
    12-09-08 08:13 AM
    TeleNav doesn't show that it supports the Storm, has anyone gotten it to install and work?
    12-09-08 08:17 AM
    First, VzNav is $9.99 a month, not $15. Try getting a GPS w/Traffic for $239.00 with updated maps for 2 years (you only get the 1 map update, after that on a GPS its $79) and the traffic service. Sure free is good. I love free. But traffic was the clincher. I understand that VzNav is a rental, and the price may be high, but IMO, you get what you pay for if you want GPS in a high traffic area.
    12-09-08 08:24 AM
    I travel all over the country and used a garmin for a couple of years. They make great units, no doubt. It really helped me but when traveling I am all about carrying less, not more, and having less to break on me, or less i have to worry about charging, leaving in a rental care, etc. I was dubious about trusting VZ Nav at first but have now used it exclusively for about a year. I gave the garmin to my mother. VZ Nav does a great job and I have had no issues. $10 a month is a good price if you use it often like I do, dont want to worry about software or map updates and want it with you all the time. If you wont use it often, then $10 a month is too much.
    12-09-08 09:09 AM
    First, VzNav is $9.99 a month, not $15. Try getting a GPS w/Traffic for $239.00 with updated maps for 2 years (you only get the 1 map update, after that on a GPS its $79) and the traffic service. Sure free is good. I love free. But traffic was the clincher. I understand that VzNav is a rental, and the price may be high, but IMO, you get what you pay for if you want GPS in a high traffic area.

Maybe I got VZ Nav and Rhapsody service confused. I know one is 9.99 and one is 14.99 for a total of 25 bucks.
    12-09-08 09:12 AM
    I love VZ Nav. Wouldn't change a thing.
    12-09-08 09:23 AM
    Seems like a generic response. Also anything is better that VZN
    Thus far VZ Nav is pretty cool for me............
    12-09-08 09:28 AM
    Well from other posts on the subject I read, and visiting a link someone posted about cost I would think Garmin is better.

1 time $100 fee for lifetime of the phone vs 15 bucks a months definitely sounds better.
    How long do most keep their phones; but looking at it like that interesting.
    How much room will it use etc?
    12-09-08 09:30 AM
    Maybe I'm just not familiar with the way VZNav works yet but I'm not a fan of the way Traffic is displayed. Having 45 minutes of a delay on a 3 hour trip doesn't help me. I have no idea WHERE that traffic is. Often I'll get notices of reported incidents ahead, but the 4x it has happened, 3 times there was nothing, the 4th I was already hip deep in traffic. Any time I want up to date traffic info, I don't even bother loading up VZnav, I hit googlemaps with traffic. Googlemaps is accurate and you can easily swipe around the map to see where the traffic is.

I also miss the seeing myself moving on a map. I voiced this before and someone mentioned it was possible to see this on VZNav but I haven't found it. I don't see it readily available in the options and I can't go hunting around while I'm driving.
    12-09-08 09:32 AM
    Maybe I'm just not familiar with the way VZNav works yet but I'm not a fan of the way Traffic is displayed. Having 45 minutes of a delay on a 3 hour trip doesn't help me. I have no idea WHERE that traffic is. Often I'll get notices of reported incidents ahead, but the 4x it has happened, 3 times there was nothing, the 4th I was already hip deep in traffic. Any time I want up to date traffic info, I don't even bother loading up VZnav, I hit googlemaps with traffic. Googlemaps is accurate and you can easily swipe around the map to see where the traffic is.

I also miss the seeing myself moving on a map. I voiced this before and someone mentioned it was possible to see this on VZNav but I haven't found it. I don't see it readily available in the options and I can't go hunting around while I'm driving.
    I see myself moving on the map on VZ Nav 4. Its actually really nice.
    12-09-08 09:34 AM
    Long-time VZNav fan - if Garmin comes up with a build for the Storm - I'm def going to try it out. If it's equal, or better - for $100 for a life of the phone, I'm there.
    12-09-08 11:04 AM
    I just ordered my Storm and am interested in GPS...let me make sure I understand...the software for VZNav is loaded but it costs $9.99 a month? Is there any case where the service is free?
    12-09-08 11:17 AM
    Ok, just to make sure I've given it the best shake possible, I spent some time with VZNav over lunch and found the "follow me" map and the map with traffic. Great

Downside to that is if you are looking at the follow me map, there is no turn by turn directions. It's mutually exclusive.

So we're left with either have turn by turn with traffic described in "minutes of delay" or have NO turn by turn with a follow me map and traffic color coded on the actual roads.

Am I incorrect? Is there any way to combine the two?
    12-09-08 12:00 PM
    I'm playing with all the nav pgms myself. Don't have any so no bias yet. I like the interface for VZNav and so far its been pretty cool but not sure if I will keep it after the free month.

If you go to the direction summary page, it will show you where the traffic delays are in number of minutes. Although the traffic feature doesn't always work. Not sure what it uses to register traffic but it failed this weekend when roads were closed due to holiday parades and it didn't register the closures so it kept routing us back to the main road instead of around it.

I've not found a way to combine the follow me map and turn by turn but would love too do that too.
    12-09-08 01:59 PM
    Ok, I don't have to try hard to get a GPS with traffic. My TomTom does it. I have it bluetoothed with my phone, it also lets me know the weather. Also with TomTom there are free map updates. Also my TomTom only cost me $120 which is what you pay for a year of VZN. I've had my GPS for years now so it has more than paid for itself. Product knowledge is a wonderful thing.
    12-09-08 02:19 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD