I just realized today after having my Storm for a few days I was getting the capital 1XEV (Verizon told me when I get 1xev the signal for the data network is degraded...). I called VZW support and they assured me my area was active w/3G (southern NJ/Philly region) but that I would never get the 3G icon as shown in the manual, only 1XEV or 1xev. She said it was possible maybe a future s/w update would change that but was only speculating. Now, for the question: Is everyone w/the Storm 9530 on Verizon getting the 1XEV like me or is anyone at all getting the 3G icon? Thanks in advance... Friend of mine has the BB Bold w/ATT and he showed me his prominently displaying the 3G icon. I find it ridiculous that Verizon Wireless' home page states prominently, "The network with the most 3G coverage in America" but then you go to the coverage map and it only mentions EV-DO Rev.A and that the phone cannot display the icon. Bla.
    12-12-08 01:14 PM
    I just realized today after having my Storm for a few days I was getting the capital 1XEV (Verizon told me when I get 1xev the signal for the data network is degraded...). I called VZW support and they assured me my area was active w/3G (southern NJ/Philly region) but that I would never get the 3G icon as shown in the manual, only 1XEV or 1xev. She said it was possible maybe a future s/w update would change that but was only speculating. Now, for the question: Is everyone w/the Storm 9530 on Verizon getting the 1XEV like me or is anyone at all getting the 3G icon? Thanks in advance... Friend of mine has the BB Bold w/ATT and he showed me his prominently displaying the 3G icon. I find it ridiculous that Verizon Wireless' home page states prominently, "The network with the most 3G coverage in America" but then you go to the coverage map and it only mentions EV-DO Rev.A and that the phone cannot display the icon. Bla.
    The 3G icon only shows when on GSM in Europe. When on Verizon if it shows capital 1XEV you are operating in EVDO 3G.
    12-12-08 01:17 PM
    1XEV = 3G for Verizon. No worries.
    12-12-08 01:17 PM
    You will never gat the 3g icon on a CDMA network. it will always show up as 1XEV. If your on a GSM 3g network overseas it'll show up. When the EV disappears that means you have no 3G coverage. But will default to lower to 2G speeds when 3G is not available.
    12-12-08 01:18 PM
    Wow - quick responses. Thanks everyone. At least I know VZW wasn't giving me a bogus answer then. Appreciate it.
    12-12-08 01:19 PM
    Coming from Tmo, then ATT, to VZW-

Their little Bar Signal Strength Meter is crazy complicated to read.

My Friend has a Voyager and she has 4 bars on the bottom and 4 bars on top.

I have no idea what 1XEV, or Bullseye/Target mean.

Why can't they use "normal" signals.

I called VZW Corporate to ask about what these symbols meant, and she had no clue either.

12-12-08 01:20 PM

I called VZW Corporate to ask about what these symbols meant, and she had no clue either.

The bullseye is for GPS.
    12-12-08 01:21 PM

Huh? They have a meter with five bars at the top that are either highlighted or not. They have a data symbol 1XEV that is either caps or not for 3G data or not. That is not that different from any other phone.

The bullseye shows you that the AGPS is on so 911 knows roughly where your phone is located.
    12-12-08 01:24 PM
    on lg's and other similar phones you have two lines of bars, the top one that says 1x is for voice, the bottom one that says evdo is for data, as the do part in evdo is data only
    12-12-08 01:26 PM
    Huh? They have a meter with five bars at the top that are either highlighted or not. They have a data symbol 1XEV that is either caps or not for 3G data or not. That is not that different from any other phone.

The bullseye shows you that the AGPS is on so 911 knows roughly where your phone is located.
    Well yes, they have the bars-

But no other company (I have no clue about sprint/nextel) have the bars, plus edge/EDGE/3G.

No x's or v's or any other odd made up words.
    12-12-08 01:27 PM
    wow. some funny posts.

verizon is very easy to read.

if you do not have capital letters, then yes your data network is out of whack. capital 1XEV is 3g on verizon. just a 1X is the slower speeds but Verizon does not have anything below 3g anymore.
    12-12-08 01:37 PM
    wow. some funny posts.

verizon is very easy to read.

if you do not have capital letters, then yes your data network is out of whack. capital 1XEV is 3g on verizon. just a 1X is the slower speeds but Verizon does not have anything below 3g anymore.
    I'm glad you find it funny.

It must be even funnier that not even the CSR's know this.

Coming from a different company, that uses a much more widespread form of technology, and going to VZW is like coming from America to go to Korea.
    12-12-08 01:40 PM
    @ sdmilton

I know it's off topic (the topic I started...) but is there any noticible difference from .75 to .76 firmware?
    12-12-08 03:23 PM
    The bullseye is for GPS.
    Thank you! I never knew this and it's bugged me on the last 2 VZW phones because nobody could tell me what it was for.
    12-12-08 03:28 PM
    How is it so hard to read the symbols on your phone? geez

More bars mean stronger signal. Duh.
    12-12-08 03:57 PM

Coming from a different company, that uses a much more widespread form of technology, and going to VZW is like coming from America to go to Korea.
    It's a CDMA vs. GSM thing. Same stuff, different terminology. I've been with the same service for 14 years, so I'm used to it. I can see how it'd be disconcerting when coming from a GSM carrier.
    12-12-08 03:58 PM

Yeah...because the 1 CSR u talked to is a great sampling of CS as a whole! With your mentality level, I think u need to carry a rotory phone around with you! Probablly be better for everyone if you did!
    12-12-08 04:09 PM
    ooo snap i did not know 1XEV was 3G sweet!!
    12-12-08 04:11 PM
    Yeah...because the 1 CSR u talked to is a great sampling of CS as a whole! With your mentality level, I think u need to carry a rotory phone around with you! Probablly be better for everyone if you did!
    Well, Your Just an Opinion of one.

From the Looks of the other posters they didn't know about this either.

It's not our fault VZW has to make things extra complicated.
    12-12-08 04:31 PM
    I am the opinion of one? LMFAO!
    12-12-08 04:40 PM
    OMG... how many times is this going to be discussed... people... learn to search!!!!!!!
    12-12-08 04:45 PM

HOW THE **** IS IT COMPLICATED?! one bar is for DATA, one bar is for VOICE, and the "bullseye" (as you described it) is for GPS. not rocket science.
    06-18-09 05:04 PM

Actually, it kinda is your fault, because it says it on the verizon website. All you had to do was look. It evens has the actual icons for easy consumption.

Determining Verizon Wireless service availability
    Last edited by citi; 06-18-09 at 06:21 PM.
    06-18-09 06:18 PM
    Slightly off topic but...

ktklein,
    I'm also in the So. Jersey/Philly area. Have you been experiencing any issues with your data connection? I'm constantly getting 1xev (no data connection) instead of the expected 1XEV.
    06-19-09 05:19 PM
    And the point of bringing back a thread that is over 6 months old just to bash on the OP was...?
    06-19-09 06:41 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD