I have yet to see the 3g symbol in the corner. I live in the middle of manhattan so if its anywhere it would be here. I'm not complaining, love the phone, and it loads quickly, but was just curious about the 3g
    11-21-08 02:05 PM
    I think 3G = 1XEV. Do you have that?
    11-21-08 02:06 PM
    check the manual . . . I thought I had heard there was only one symbol for EV on the phone.
    11-21-08 02:06 PM
    ahh yea i do have 1xev, I just saw the 3g and blackberry symbol as i glanced over the manual
    11-21-08 02:10 PM
    3G is a GSM prototcol. You are on Verizon which is a CDMA carrier.
    11-21-08 02:25 PM
    No 3G for me either. What gives?
    11-21-08 02:28 PM
    3G is a GSM prototcol. You are on Verizon which is a CDMA carrier.
    I know VZW is a CDMA carrier. But why does Verizon advertise they have the largest 3G network in the U.S.?
    Also, if 3G is not an option on my phone, why is the symbol listed in the manual? It says:

3g: You can use the phone, send & receive e-mail messages, PIN messages, SMS text messages and MMS messages. you can use the phone and send and receive e-mail messages or use the browser simultaneously.

Please explain...

Thanks!
    Last edited by MPSmith1; 11-21-08 at 02:36 PM.
    11-21-08 02:32 PM
    i am wondering the same thing as mine says 1XEV also.
    11-21-08 02:53 PM
    3G is only showing on the Vodafone version from what I see... since 1XEV is CDMA 3G.

3G = GSM 3G Protocol
    EVDO (1XEV) = CDMA 3G Protocol
    11-21-08 03:53 PM
    3G is also just the industry abbreviation for "third generation"; Verizon implemented a 3G technology with its own abbreviation (EV-DO), while AT&T and other GSM providers choose simply to refer to their 3G network with "3G," thus causing confusion amongst consumers who don't do their homework.
    11-21-08 04:02 PM
    So why is there a "3G" wireless coverage indicator in the VZW manual that came with the Storm? Its on page 39 of the "Tips, hints and shortcuts" manual.
    11-21-08 04:10 PM
    So why is there a "3G" wireless coverage indicator in the VZW manual that came with the Storm? Its on page 39 of the "Tips, hints and shortcuts" manual.
    Because of the confusion caused by the fact that 3G means both "third generation" and "the GSM implementation of third-generation wireless protocols and technology." The 3G coverage indicator indicates that you are on a GSM 3G network (which will most likely happen when you are traveling and using the Storm's world phone capabilities); when you're on Verizon's CDMA 3G network, also known as EV-DO, you get the EV indicator even though EV-DO is a subset of 3G technology.
    11-21-08 05:04 PM
    Because of the confusion caused by the fact that 3G means both "third generation" and "the GSM implementation of third-generation wireless protocols and technology." The 3G coverage indicator indicates that you are on a GSM 3G network (which will most likely happen when you are traveling and using the Storm's world phone capabilities); when you're on Verizon's CDMA 3G network, also known as EV-DO, you get the EV indicator even though EV-DO is a subset of 3G technology.
    I think you are right. Sure would be nice if VZW would be clearer about it in their own literature... lol
    Thanks for the response.
    11-21-08 05:29 PM
    I bet they used documentation from the Vodafone Storm and tweaked it for Verizon???
    11-21-08 06:37 PM
    Only been a BB user a yr now but i have read enough to kinow how this phone works and if you read enough you will find out 1xev does =3g just like math class teaches you , all i can tell you guys is to read read and read some more
    11-21-08 07:54 PM
    Like EVERYONE else said in this thread. EV is verizons version of 3g.

3G=EV ; end of story. if you see 1xEV on your signal bar, then you are in verizons 3g coverage. if you only see 1x then your on their 2g network
    11-23-08 07:11 PM
    Only been a BB user a yr now but i have read enough to kinow how this phone works and if you read enough you will find out 1xev does =3g just like math class teaches you , all i can tell you guys is to read read and read some more
    you can be an ***, thats cool. But the reason why i did ask the question was because I read... the manual.
    11-23-08 07:12 PM
    the difference said between 1xev and 3g is you can use the data/phone simultaneously in 3g and not 1xev... what gives with that?
    11-23-08 07:14 PM
    the difference said between 1xev and 3g is you can use the data/phone simultaneously in 3g and not 1xev... what gives with that?
    qualcomms CDMA technology (EV for 3G services) doesn't not support simultaneous data and voice. That feature would only work on a GSM network.
    11-23-08 07:16 PM

There is a difference between 1xev and 1XEV. 1XEV is 3g, 1xev is not.
    11-23-08 07:17 PM
    Yeah, confusing that AT&T calls their 3rd generation network "3G". But that sounds better than calling their network UMTS (3G) or HSPA (3.5G)
    11-23-08 07:22 PM
    No... they are the same. Sorry I didnt capitalize it, it is 1XEV that doesnt support simultaneous data/phone.

Why would they advertise it if it wouldnt work on verizon? thats silly.
    11-23-08 07:23 PM
    No... they are the same. Sorry I didnt capitalize it, it is 1XEV that doesnt support simultaneous data/phone.

Why would they advertise it if it wouldnt work on verizon? thats silly.
    because this is a world phone and they expect people to take it outside of the country and thus would want to make people aware of that functionality.
    11-23-08 07:28 PM
    Boy, this has been asked over and over again; this really need to go in a FAQ, as it seems that people don't search. (of course, I'm assuming they'll read the FAQ before posting)

3G is a term that means different things in different contexts.

Verizon's network is based on CDMA, and their "3rd Generation" service is EV-DO == 1xEV. So if you see 1xEV on your phone, you're connected at that fast speed.

GSM carriers like AT&T and Vodafone also have "3rd Generation" networks, and since theirs are based on GSM, their 3G service is HSPA. But for short, they call it 3G.

Sooo... bottom line is 1XEV is equivalent to 3G, but not directly equal because they're different technologies. If you're using the 9530 on CDMA (VZW), you'll see 1XEV. If you're on GSM, you'll see 3G.
    11-23-08 07:29 PM
    Boy, this has been asked over and over again; this really need to go in a FAQ, as it seems that people don't search. (of course, I'm assuming they'll read the FAQ before posting)

3G is a term that means different things in different contexts.

Verizon's network is based on CDMA, and their "3rd Generation" service is EV-DO == 1xEV. So if you see 1xEV on your phone, you're connected at that fast speed.

GSM carriers like AT&T and Vodafone also have "3rd Generation" networks, and since theirs are based on GSM, their 3G service is HSPA. But for short, they call it 3G.

Sooo... bottom line is 1XEV is equivalent to 3G, but not directly equal because they're different technologies. If you're using the 9530 on CDMA (VZW), you'll see 1XEV. If you're on GSM, you'll see 3G.

have you been reading the thread?? that has already been clarified, now we are onto the fact that GSM "3G" is advertised as being able to simultaneously allow both voice and data to be sent and received while in reality since our "3G" is 1XEV and the CDMA network can't handle that, we really aren't able to use that feature.
    11-23-08 07:32 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD