I'm in the metro detroit area. Shouldn't I see the ”3G“ notifier at the top of the phone, or does the 1XEV mean I'm not getting the 3G speed? What do others see on their phones? Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 04:22 PM
    if you are on a CDMA network it will be EV, if you are on a GSM network it may show the 3G icon.
    12-13-08 04:24 PM
    What up my fellow Detroiter....1XEV is considered 3G with Rev A......wierd but it is.....hope that helps
    12-13-08 04:24 PM
    also what he said about traveling abroad
    12-13-08 04:25 PM
    Fellow Detroiters!! What they all said^^^

By the way, this post was pointless. I just wanted to say hello to people in the area.
    12-13-08 04:48 PM
    What up Trenton!!!!^^^^^^^
    12-13-08 05:14 PM
    there are numerous posts with this same question.

research it next time.
    12-13-08 05:40 PM
    rev a is kind of considered 3.5g..

so technically speaking its a bit faster.. if that makes sense..
    12-13-08 05:42 PM
    rev a is kind of considered 3.5g..

so technically speaking its a bit faster.. if that makes sense..
    Yeah, I agree you on the semantics.

But I have to say I hate hate hate the use of 3G or "3rd Generation" tags. Different 3G services offer different speeds, and it's misleading at best.

For example, AT&T calls their service 3G, and it's based on GSM/UMTS/HSDPA. This is technically in the 3.5G "family" and is faster than VZW's EVDOrA (both in specs and in real world tests).

I don't really have a better suggestion for naming networks. Maybe we should move to colors: Yellow speed, Orange speed, Red speed, Green speed. Works *really* well for the USG's threat level </sarcasm>
    12-13-08 06:18 PM
    What if i want "Plaid" speed?
    12-13-08 06:27 PM
    What up Trenton!!!!^^^^^^^

WOOT TRENTON.... Ontario for me though lol
    12-13-08 06:29 PM
    If you're on Verizon the only time you should see 3G is when you're in Europe or somewhere overseas. Otherwise you'll see 1XEV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 06:33 PM
    Yeah, I agree you on the semantics.

But I have to say I hate hate hate the use of 3G or "3rd Generation" tags. Different 3G services offer different speeds, and it's misleading at best.

For example, AT&T calls their service 3G, and it's based on GSM/UMTS/HSDPA. This is technically in the 3.5G "family" and is faster than VZW's EVDOrA (both in specs and in real world tests).

I don't really have a better suggestion for naming networks. Maybe we should move to colors: Yellow speed, Orange speed, Red speed, Green speed. Works *really* well for the USG's threat level </sarcasm>
    I guess it also may depend on the device itself.. Unfortunately my only device to compare at&t's 3g speed to verizons 3g is the storm vs the iPhone (my iPhone is actually edge but my cousin has the 3g)

and we have done speed tests over and over all over this city and a couple other states and the storm has won about 75 percent of the time.. The problem is there both different devices and also its only so many places that I can actually do the test..

what I would honestly like is a storm on at&t's full 3g and a storm on verizon's

and a iPhone on both as well..

so I could do side by side device.. on the the 2 networks..

I read specs and read things and its often a comparison with 2 completely different devices..

which in a real conclusive test you should be using as close to the same hardware and software as possible..

cause on another note.. if I change and use the opera mini browser on the storm vs the iPhone 3g the iPhone doesn't hold a candle..

thats why I have come up with this theory..
    12-13-08 06:45 PM
    I maybe going nuts but I could have sworn that I've seen a 1Xev and 1XEV on my phone. Are there really two different versions of the icon and if so what's the difference?
    12-13-08 06:48 PM
    FYI, when you're using opera mini or browser on the storm, you have to use an equivalent proxying browser on the iphone. Opera mini's proxies rock at compressing and delivering optimized pages. I don't know if AT&T proxies web browsing on iPhone (I know they don't on their other 3G phones), so you may be comparing apples to oranges (pun intended).

Like you said, you need to use the same hardware/software on the two networks to tell. I have multiple AT&T, Sprint, T-mobile and VZW phones on 3G, and speed-wise it's too close to tell the difference. The more important factor for me is VZW's greater availability in the areas I frequent.
    12-13-08 06:54 PM
    I maybe going nuts but I could have sworn that I've seen a 1Xev and 1XEV on my phone. Are there really two different versions of the icon and if so what's the difference?
    I believe lower case means that the EVDO network is available but you're not connected [yet].
    12-13-08 06:55 PM
    1xev is Cdma 3g
    06-20-09 02:20 PM
    The case of the icon is important. 1xev is 3G but not connected to BIS, while 1XEV is also 3G but this time the device is connected to BIS.

The only time you are not 3G is if you see 1X or 1x, or SOS, or a Big X where the signal quality meter should be
    06-21-09 09:40 AM
    This has been posted countless times on here, if you would have done a simple search you would have found thousands of answers to your question.
    06-21-09 01:54 PM
    wow guys, look at the op timestamp
    06-21-09 01:57 PM
    I bussed out laughin when I read this comment. Gotta love the movie Spaceballs

What if i want "Plaid" speed?
    06-21-09 11:03 PM
    I bussed out laughin when I read this comment. Gotta love the movie Spaceballs
    "Spaceball 1, they've gone to plaid" Classic!
    06-22-09 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD