Hi guys,

I'm new to the crackberry (just ordered it today). My main reason for ordering this phone; besides the fact that my old one needs replacing, was that it has gps. I ride my bike often and when i need directions i write out the directions on a piece of paper and tape it to my tank. This is a p.i.t.a and I am going to take advantage of the phone and use that for my motorcycle's gps unit. I was wondering if anyone makes a secure holster for the blacberry that you could mount to a bike? I am pretty handy and have already planned out how to do it, i was just wonder if there are any prebuilt units out there. Or if anyone has done it and maybe could give me some advice or maybe i can learn from past mistakes.

thanks in advance.

's
    05-01-08 02:27 AM
    Great question. No idea here but free bump for you.
    05-01-08 04:49 AM
    You can listen to directions through bluetooth rather than looking at your BB and hitting something. Becareful and If you get caught in the rain your BB is toast.
    Last edited by ChiefT; 05-01-08 at 08:22 AM.
    05-01-08 07:58 AM
    E-Caddy Lite Gold Wing GPS, I-Pod, Radio, PDA, MP3 Mount - Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories

Not sure what kind of bike you have, but my Father in law uses this on his Gold wing
    05-01-08 08:21 AM
    You can listen to directions through bluetooth rather than looking at your BB and hitting something. Becareful and If you get caught in the rain your BB is toast.
    rain thing isn't that much of a problem, i live in southern california and the rainy season is over. From past experience i generally have a good idea when it's going to start raining and i'd be extra cautious. I didn't know about the bluetooth thing, I may have to look into a headset that will fit under my helmet. thanks for that suggestion

E-Caddy Lite Gold Wing GPS, I-Pod, Radio, PDA, MP3 Mount - Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories

Not sure what kind of bike you have, but my Father in law uses this on his Gold wing
    I have a honda cbr 600rr. thanks for the link but the part that attatches to the phone seems very 'bulky'
    05-01-08 09:45 AM
    Any reason you need to mount it? Why not just keep it in a tank or tail bag? There shouldn't be any need to touch the phone with Bluetooth.

Just be careful though as studies have shown that just having a conversation even on a hands free phone is distracting enough. You really need to concentrate on a bike as most of the time it seems like everyone out there is out to kill you

My baby..
    05-01-08 09:51 AM
    oh, i totally agree with the distraction thing. i've never listened to an ipod while riding, always wear full gear (minus leather pants), never every get on a bike even after one drink, I feel that having the gps would actually be safer then my paper direction method since i wont have to take my eyes off the road as much to read the next turn.
    05-01-08 10:11 AM
    Not sure about the mount. Maybe you coulld make something with a radiator clamp and bb clip. If you have a tank bag with a map holder, stick it in there. It will also stay dry. I have a magnetic tank bag that I found through either Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky.

I use ATT Navigator. It's free for 30 days right now. Then it is either $5/mo for 10 routes/mo or $10/mo for unlimited routes.

I just used it for the first time this weekend to get me out of a very sketchy area of Hartford. Glad I had it!
    05-01-08 10:23 AM
    My FIL has a case that is just for the motorcycle that has that huge clip attached to it that he takes off for every day use. And yes, it is huge.
    05-01-08 10:31 AM
    I have to agree with rstaff and rbrais on this one, I think a tank bag with map pocket would be best. I Ride a Goldwing so I can slip mine in either the trunk or fairing pocket. I dont need it for gps though. If it was in a map pocket, I would think you would still be able to see it if you needed to but also protect it more in the event you got caught in weather.

I think it you would also be able to "tuck" your extra headphone cord down inside the map pocket as well

Just my .02C
    05-01-08 10:32 AM
    Or you could do what me and my hubby did, and buy a goldwing with the gps integrated. She talks right into our helmets ;-)
    05-01-08 10:35 AM
    Or you could do what me and my hubby did, and buy a goldwing with the gps integrated. She talks right into our helmets ;-)
    I love the newer Goldwings, I had a 1996 GL1500A when we lived in Orlando and the wife and I rode everywhere on it. Would love to get another Wing one of these days...

This was my Wing...
    05-01-08 10:57 AM
    Tank bag is a great idea. i was looking for maybe a more elegant solution but that seems to have a lot of versatility... and i guess k.i.s.s. is always a good plan. I've never used a tank bag though and i often ride crouched down low. I wonder if that'll get in the way of how i ride. I guess it's an easy enough thing to test out.

hmm... goldwing is a far cry from the style of bike i ride :-) maybe one day they'll have gps integrated into the cbr rr's :-)
    05-01-08 10:59 AM
    For a sport bike I would go with something like Bagster. It is a two part system which includes a cover to protect the tank and then a bag attaches to the cover. Traditional strap or magnetic tank bags tend to scratch your tank. You can generally find Bagster stuff on eBay.

Here is a link to their site.
    Bagster
    05-01-08 11:16 AM
    Rstaaf Nice 1500 I do like the looks of them but still prefer the look of the 1200.

Scott FX I agree, take a look at the bagster set-up. you may like the way it looks. For years, my wife rode a ninja 636 or 637 cant remeber now. Anyway, she enjoyed that set up and she had no problem crouching down with the bag on the tank
    05-01-08 01:12 PM
    A word of warning, I have an 8800 with AT&T maps as well. The GPS does not output the voice commands through a Bluetooth hands free profile or through the included earbud connected directly to the phone.

I have the same idea you have but have not had much luck thus far. I honestly don't know about a bluetooth headset though. I don't have one to try. If anyone here does, I would be interested to know if the GPS can be heard through it or if it still only outputs through the speaker.
    06-07-08 12:15 AM
    i have tried it with garmin's gps software and it works well with the corded earbuds. it was tricky getting my helmet on with the oem buds but it worked well.
    06-07-08 02:08 AM
    Ok you people dont get it!!! he rides a sport bike tank bags are great for your old maps when your puttin along at 70. I have a 07 750 gsxr ride in Fl and have a hp ipaq rx5915 mounted to the tripple tree that plays mp3s has tom tom, windows mobile, touch screen , wirless 802.11G so I can stop and use it on the internet if I want. It makes more sense to put it where you can see it and I dont use a bluetooth ear peice I would rather be on the wire. found it hard to get on with a helmet. Now I am on a quest for the right holder for the unit and will incorporate it on the tripple tree as well. I used the holder from ipac to a swivel mount then alltread thru the tripple tree works fine. I have no problem listing to music and doing sweepers at triple digits but I guess thats me. I am with you on the not drinking! Got to have my music!!!. simple solution to rain take it off put it in a zip lock bag.I searched ram mounts and several companys but havent seen what I want yet . I dont care for the OS on the blackberry. the ipaq rx5915 tom tom has far superior navigation to my verizon gps.
    Last edited by Gixxerfix; 06-27-08 at 09:04 PM.
    06-16-08 06:43 PM
    I just completed putting on both the blackberry and hp ipac your will be simple go to techmount buy a mini stem mount for you bike.then go to (arkon resorces Inc).and find the wind shield mount cradle , part number bb215. the cradle is removable drill you plate and use screws to attach it to the plate with this mount you will need to buy a case protector for the phone so it fits the cradle correctly. then its just a simple matter of loosen the screws remove the mount put it on you wind shield of car or truck. I switch back and forth.Then wait untill next month when the xbi bluetooth chatterbox comes out for the full face helmet and you are done .If you did want a waterproof box for the people in rainy states go to ram mounts they make a waterproof box.Hope that helps you out. Just tested mine and i like it . the gps on my phone using vz navigator is way to hard to manipulate. tom tom is way better.
    Last edited by Gixxerfix; 06-27-08 at 09:02 PM.
    06-27-08 06:23 PM
    BEHOLD!! We interrupt this thread for a truly useful post...

Get this for power:
    Hardwire Barewire Power Cord for Blackberry
    http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/mfx5v-b-blackberry.htm

And this for mount:
    Motorcycle / Bike Handlebar Mount and CUSTOM Cradle for Blackberry Storm Bold 8800 8820 8830 Curve 8300 8310 8320 8330
    http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/bb227-8800.htm

You're welcome.
    01-01-09 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD