I currently own a Blackberry Pearl, love it, and my wife needs a new phone now. She likes my Pearl, wants one for herself, but does not want to have a data plan on it. She doesn't need one (data plan), she just wants to use the phone as a phone, and likes the features/size/capabilities etc of the pearl vs all the other non-data plan phones for Verizon. The only other phone she would be interested in is the env2, which is... . Does anyone know for a fact that you can purchase a blackberry and put it on a non-data voice plan? Anyone actually done it? The reps at the closest store to me say you can't. I think this is a horrible requirement, as the pearl (even without data capabilities) is better than pretty much any of the other crap phones Verizon carries.
    12-18-08 11:01 AM
    Yes you can buy it w/o a data plan (at least you could when I got mine). With my phone it was X amount for the phone plan, then $30/month extra for the unlimited data plan. I initially only signed up for data b/c I got an extra $100 off the phone for signing up w/ the data plan. I use it so I have kept it.

Unless something has changed since last year it sounds like your local store is trying to force an upsell.
    12-18-08 12:08 PM
    If you pay full price for the phone you can have it without the data plan. If you get one at a subsidized price, then part of the subsidy comes from the data plan.

Without data, there isn't much reason for a Pearl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 12:10 PM
    Yeh... Data plan is a must with BB.. And besides with the pay as you go data.. the mb adds up quickly and you don't want to be paying so much for few minutes of data usage..

12-18-08 12:19 PM
    Get the phone with the data plan when you buy it. This way you get the extra discount on the purchase of the phone. Keep the data for one month and then cancel it (if she can live with out it at that point).
    12-18-08 12:24 PM
    Without data, there isn't much reason for a Pearl.
    I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. Name me another Verizon phone that has a great media player/manager, great calendar, small form factor, good keyboard, shall I go on and on? The fact is the Pearl is a great phone, I know, I've had mine over a year. It is great even without the data functions. Yes getting emails, surfing the web on it is great, but as I stated before my wife doesn't need or want those functions on her personal phone. She already has a blackberry for work that has data, and before you ask, no she cannot just use it as her personal phone as well, it is a work cell that she does not want/cannot use as her personal cell. The only other non-pda type phone that approach the capabilities of the Pearl is the env2, Dare, or Voyager, which are pieces of junk as far as I can tell having played with them all.

I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep, he confirmed that Verizon automatically adds a data plan if you activate a Blackberry device. You cannot even "backdoor" it...(give her my pearl, I get something new like the Storm or Curve, and just do an ESN switch) I was just wondering if anyone knew of any reps that will allow this to happen. I guess I could just keep calling Verizon until I get a rep that will do it, but I doubt it will happen.
    12-18-08 12:56 PM
    You'll want to check the contract. The subsidized price usually requires maintaining a minimum service level. If you drop below that, they can add the difference back.

As for the pros/cons of a smartphone sans data, we should probably use an appropriate thread to keep it on-topic.

12-18-08 01:21 PM
    As for the pros/cons of a smartphone sans data, we should probably use an appropriate thread to keep it on-topic.
    This thread is very on topic.

I believe Verizon reps have said on CB that all BBs are required to have a data plan. I have read that they are unable to activate a BB without it.

12-18-08 01:32 PM
    You will have to have a data plan with VZW! No way of getting around it. Go to T-mobile if you don't want the data plan.
    12-18-08 01:32 PM
    Nope- just looked. ATT, TM, Alltel, VZW all show something along the lines of "with activation and 2 year committment on a qualifying DATA plan.

Have 'Berry, you need data. Otherwise pay full retail and have it your way.

12-18-08 02:10 PM
    I actually am a VZW rep. Blackberry absolutely requires a data feature, no ifs ands or buts about it. There is no other way to have a Blackberry on our network. If you somehow manage to slip it through without one, an audit will likely catch it within a month anyway. Plus with the per KB pricing structure just loading Yahoo.com without a data plan is going to cost you $2.55.

You weigh the options there.

In any case, the data feature is what makes the Blackberry a Blackberry in the first place. Having a BB without the data feature is like putting a Ferrari body kit on your mom's '89 Civic...

EDIT: To clarify something I keep reading, buying at full retail does not exclude you from the above; you are simply avoiding a contract/contract extension.
    Last edited by CyberEvil; 12-18-08 at 02:41 PM.
    12-18-08 02:39 PM
    The only carriers that don't require a data plan are T-Mobile and AT&T.
    12-18-08 02:54 PM
    I love stoking the fire here..but my friend has a Curve on Verizon with NO DATA PLAN. His wife has a Curve with a data plan. I really don't understand how they did it but they truly. And he wanted the Curve because it is a great texting phone. He never surfs the web and never uses any data.

I know all the "VZW Reps" are going to fire back at me that this is not possible....but I got news for them all....it is.

And if a person likes a BB without utilizing all the BB functions - it's not up for discussion - it's a person's preference!!!
    12-18-08 03:05 PM
    I love stoking the fire here..but my friend has a Curve on Verizon with NO DATA PLAN. His wife has a Curve with a data plan. I really don't understand how they did it but they truly. And he wanted the Curve because it is a great texting phone. He never surfs the web and never uses any data.

I know all the "VZW Reps" are going to fire back at me that this is not possible....but I got news for them all....it is.

And if a person likes a BB without utilizing all the BB functions - it's not up for discussion - it's a person's preference!!!
    At one point VZW would remove data plans. They would try to scare you into not doing it by saying you might get $1000 phone bills because their smartphones would still search for the network or use it without you knowing.
    Last edited by quikDC; 12-18-08 at 03:13 PM.
    12-18-08 03:11 PM
    In any case, the data feature is what makes the Blackberry a Blackberry in the first place. Having a BB without the data feature is like putting a Ferrari body kit on your mom's '89 Civic...
    That's the dumbest comparison I have ever heard. No, actually it's like having a very nice all around phone - capable of playing videos, music, having a very nice calendar, great keyboard for texting, a nice screen for viewing pix messages, great contact list, small form factor, good battery life, etc etc etc. The Pearl (especially at the $50 price point Verizon is advertising) is one of the best phones Verizon offers, with or without data. You can make all the comparisons you'd like, a Pearl without data is a nicer phone than a Env2, Voyager, Dare, or any of the other non-blackberry/pda phones Verizon offers.

We ended up getting her a Env2.., 1 yr contract only. My 2 year is up 1 year from now, so we will both expire at the same time, and most likely take our business elsewhere.
    12-18-08 03:29 PM
    I never said that I agreed with the requirement, so you could calm down a bit. I'm all about freedom of choice in everything, so yeah...

Either way I stand by my evaluation of the necessity of the data feature. The networked features vastly improve the overall experience. I wouldn't have a Blackberry without a data feature, period. I'd rather get a dumbphone at that point. Viigo, my mobile banking, the browser (Opera or BB, whichever), AIM...they just make the device for me.

I understand not everyone feels that way, but it was someone in a suit and tie that inked the deal with RIM, not the reps. My point about the pay-per-use data is very much valid, though. I think people should have the choice, but it's not up to me, either.
    12-18-08 03:36 PM
    I know all the "VZW Reps" are going to fire back at me that this is not possible....but I got news for them all....it is.!
    Of course it is possible just like it is possible to have cable TV service without paying for it. But the phone companies are much more sophisticated than the cable companies are - still, either way it is only a matter of time before you're caught.

If it were a mistake, that's one thing, but telco companies are not easily persuaded to admit they made one. You're under contract which means they can remedy mistakes at any time.

And, for the VZW "rep" above, you are mostly correct except that VZW no longer requires much of anything if you pay full retail. Not all reps know this just as not all reps understand how a BB plan works.

12-18-08 03:43 PM
    The only carriers that don't require a data plan are T-Mobile and AT&T.
    Even AT&T told me they require it just a few months ago, but T-mobile did not and actually offers an MMS enabler so you can still have picture messages without the data plan.

...And if a person likes a BB without utilizing all the BB functions - it's not up for discussion - it's a person's preference!!!
    Yes, it is a personal preference, but the carrier sets the rules along with the manufacturer. They are the ones that designed the device 100% around the BlackBerry service and therefore (almost all) carriers require the data plan.

That's the dumbest comparison I have ever heard. No, actually it's like having a very nice all around phone - capable of playing videos, music, having a very nice calendar, great keyboard for texting, a nice screen for viewing pix messages, great contact list, small form factor, good battery life, etc etc etc. The Pearl (especially at the $50 price point Verizon is advertising) is one of the best phones Verizon offers, with or without data. You can make all the comparisons you'd like, a Pearl without data is a nicer phone than a Env2, Voyager, Dare, or any of the other non-blackberry/pda phones Verizon offers...
    I cannot agree with you on this. I think Windows Mobile devices are better with the keyboard or media players. But, anything designed for a specific purpose then not used for that design is not living to it's creation... just as the other person said about the engine (strange but still similar). It was designed all around mobile email. Granted they are adding new features (media player), but it is still an email machine at the heart of it, otherwise RIM would create one that did not need BIS/BES

...And, for the VZW "rep" above, you are mostly correct except that VZW no longer requires much of anything if you pay full retail. Not all reps know this just as not all reps understand how a BB plan works.
    Not sure where you get your information. If you buy it full retail they still require an account for it to be activated, and activation requires the data plan. At least in this market they do - went to seven different stores to buy a phone full retail to give as a gift, was a no go.
    Last edited by howie; 12-18-08 at 03:52 PM.
    12-18-08 03:49 PM
    Not sure where you get your information. If you buy it full retail they still require an account for it to be activated, and activation requires the data plan. At least in this market they do - went to seven different stores to buy a phone full retail to give as a gift, was a no go.
    This. Even if you pay full retail for a device, it's required. Not sure where you got your information, Twins, but it was incorrect.
    12-18-08 04:18 PM
    To they guy's wife who needed a new phone and wanted the Pearl, tell her I'm so sorry that she got an EnV2. I pretty much agree with you that all the other VZW phones are crap. I have a Curve and I love it! It was the only phone I liked in the whole store. However, when I got it, I asked the Sales Rep about the data plan. He told me that I could absolutely cancel it if I did not need it. This from a VZW employee so of course, I took his word and got the phone. Well, I recently lost my job and in reality dont use the net on my phone so I decided to cancel it like I was told that I could. I have been round and round with the reps at VZW about this. I was told that I needed to get a "regular" handset in order to drop the data package. I'm sorry, but all of the "regular" handsets are either crap or geared towards teens. Also, I dont feel that I should have to purchase a new phone when it was the mistake of an employee. VZW should provide me with a phone.

I also chatted with a rep from BestBuy who told me that if I got a BB from them, the package can be dropped at any time. This make so sense to me because I'd still be going through VZW.

So, at this point, I'm just frustrated.
    12-18-08 07:59 PM
    Its funny to me how many times people ask this,wanting bb as just a phone,you have to a get a bb plan no matter the carrier
    12-18-08 09:18 PM
    Its funny to me how many times people ask this,wanting bb as just a phone,you have to a get a bb plan no matter the carrier
    That is not true. I have an unlocked Curve and put in my sim card from my other phone. I have a voice and text only plan and my phone works fine.

The phones will surely work without a data plan...It appears that some carriers may not allow it.
    12-18-08 09:44 PM
    That is not true. I have an unlocked Curve and put in my sim card from my other phone. I have a voice and text only plan and my phone works fine.

The phones will surely work without a data plan...It appears that some carriers may not allow it.
    Because you have GSM, you can just swap out the SIM card without the carrier knowing right-away. But, does Unicel even offer BlackBerries? I do not see them on their website.
    12-18-08 09:58 PM
    Because you have GSM, you can just swap out the SIM card without the carrier knowing right-away. But, does Unicel even offer BlackBerries? I do not see them on their website.

Unicel does not offer BlackBerries but they told me all I have to do is plug in my SIM so I did and it works fine. They also told me that I could have a data plan if I wanted but I would have to maunally configure the phone. I'll look into that tomorrow.
    12-18-08 10:06 PM
    Just figured I'd put my two cents in on this... But the Verizon rep is accurate. When activating a blackberry on a consumers account, it requires a data feature, either 44.99 for corporate users, or 29.99 for the personal. If one is not on the account, it will not let the phone activate because it gives the rep errors until all policy of adding a data plan is met. It will tell the rep either "incomplete", or "validation unsuccessful". I have seen a rare incidence where a blackberry was on a pay as you go option, but it was also an 8703 from the year 1837. Meaning it is no longer a valid option unless you are grandfathered into it. Thus, having a curve on pay as you go, is totally false.

...Coming from a part of Verizon Management...

Not looking to start an arguement, but you won't find a rep "willing" to activate a blackberry without internet, because the system will not let us skip the feature and activate. Now, you don't need a data feature with other smartphones (excluding ALL blackberries) if you are not signing a contract. Meaning, if you pay full retail you can opt for a pay as you go plan. Resign to get a discount, and you must pick a data plan. Hope this info clears a few things up...
    12-18-08 10:14 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD