Long story short, my curve is broken due to water damage. It was in the water for 10 seconds, I dried it out, tried the rice trick, but after two days it still doesn't work. I have come to terms that I have to buy a new phone. I have had my curve for less than a month, and got it for $150 (no insurance by the way). What are my options?

Should I ask for a replacement and send my phone back to them? I saw a couple stories online that said that if you send back a water damaged phone to tmobile, you have to pay for a new (refurbished) phone, and you have a $100 fee for liquid damage. Is this true?

Should I just report the phone lost/stolen, and buy a refurbished phone from them?

Or should I take it into the local store and try and bargain with them for a new phone?

Anyone have any idea which would be the cheapest way?
    I have checked eBay and craigslist and I could get one for $250-$300 maybe. Anyone know the price I would be from tmobile for a curve 8320?
    Last edited by brumby05; 06-26-08 at 05:24 AM.
    06-26-08 05:16 AM
    Sorry to hear about your berry but if you have insurance I would just report it to them, after all that is what its for. This may help you as well.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    Last edited by cutdacheck2003; 06-26-08 at 05:42 AM.
    06-26-08 05:40 AM
    OK, remove battery.......wrap BB in 4 woolen sox VERY SECURLY. Place in dryer for one hour. Yes battery may need replacing, but I have heard of this working. You already consider it dead so nothing to lose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 08:29 AM
    I saw a techie show a while back that claimed the best chance for resurrection after water was immediate removal of the battery to prevent shorting - then get the silicon crystal type cat litter and cover the phone and battery with it on a sealed container for 24 hours,

I think your best bet would be an insurance claim - if you have it.

Also, if all else fails you can get some good deal on eBay!
    06-26-08 08:42 AM
    I saw a techie show a while back that claimed the best chance for resurrection after water was immediate removal of the battery to prevent shorting - then get the silicon crystal type cat litter and cover the phone and battery with it on a sealed container for 24 hours,

I think your best bet would be an insurance claim - if you have it.

Also, if all else fails you can get some good deal on eBay!
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

And for the OP... best bet is to use insurance (if you have it)!! Purchasing a Berry online out of contract will cost you about $250 to $300

Sad to hear about your loss... hope you can get it worked out. If you need to, talk to TMo and get the refurb because it will cost less than anything on eBay and the likes (I would think!)
    06-26-08 08:48 AM
    sorry about your luck hope some of the tips work for you!
    06-26-08 08:49 AM
    sorry about your phone - that's awful! Especially since you don't have insurance. Hopefully one of these other tricks will work for you. If all else fails, you have nothing to lose by going into a store and trying to get a new one for a good deal - my boss has an iPhone and his housekeeper put it through the washing machine. It sat out all day to dry but still had condensation inside the screen and it didn't work. He went to a local AT&T store and they gave him a new one for free. It's worth a shot!
    06-26-08 08:57 AM
    Yikes, sorry to hear about your accident. Poor berry!

I was able to twice resurrect a wet Razr, maybe one or the other techniques will work for you, too.

The first time, I left my phone on my nightstand near a tall glass of icewater. In the morning, I found the phone laying in a large pool of condensation I immediately removed the battery and dried everything I could with paper towels. I then preheated my oven to 170 degrees Fahrenheit, placed the Razr on an ovenmitt, and baked it for about 10 minutes. When it cooled, I put the battery back in and it worked FLAWLESSLY!

About two months later, we were at Disney World, and decided to go for a dip in the pool at our hotel. After swimming for nearly 30 minutes, I realized I'd jumped into the pool with my damned phone in the pocket of my swim shorts I went back to the suite, removed the battery, poured out the excess water, then dried everything as well as I could with towels. I cranked up the AC and put the phone & battery on the vent. The following morning, I reassembled the phone and again it worked perfectly (save for a slight puddle-shaped ghost image on the LCD).

Two days later, I left it in the limosuine at the airport, and never saw it again.

I make no guarantees that either of those procedures will work for you, but it's probably worth a shot.

And for Dog's sake, DO NOT tumble your Berry in the dryer, unless you want to replace the LCD screen O_o

Good luck!

John
    06-27-08 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD