Hello all. My first real technical post!

[/B]This post is intended to help those who have a BB Data Plan but cannot connect to the BIS servers through WiFi, though they have a successful connection to their wireless router.[/B]

Example:

You connect your BB to your WiFi/Hotspot using WEP or WPA/WPA2/PSK security settings, it shows as connected, but not in the BB Infrastructure (under WiFi Diagnostics).

Wi-Fi
    Current Profile: mann
    SSID: mann
    AP MAC Address: 00:1E:E5:4A:96:32
    Security Type: WEP
    Association: Successful
    Authentication: Successful
    Local IP Address: 192.168.1.101
    Signal Level: -81 dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 48 Mbps
    Authentication Failure Reason:
    Network Type: 802.11b/g
    Network Channel: 11
    Pairwise Cipher: Not Applicable
    Group Cipher: Not Applicable
    Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP: Successful
    Primary DNS: 64.59.144.18
    Secondary DNS: 64.59.144.19
    DNS suffix: va.shawcable.net
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

VPN - Generally not used.

BlackBerry Infrastructure - Where it doesn't connect to...
    Address Used: //rcp.na.blackberry.com:443
    IP Used:
    Connecting: Error
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    Last Contact At:

On your screen it shows the WiFi symbol greyed out, yet next to the carrier info is the SSID of the router you are trying to connect to.

Sound familiar?

What can you do?

Step 1. Battery pull.
    Step 2. Restart your router.
    Step 3. Make sure your WiFi radio is active.
    Step 4. Make sure it is connected properly with the correct WEP/WPA PSK's.
    Step 5. Resend service books. This should renew your WiFi/BIS settings to your router.
    Step 6. Wi-Fi Hotspot Login. How? Manage Connections>Set Up WiFi Network>Wi-Fi Hotspot Login.
    Step 7. Register your phone again on the BB Infastructure. How? Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Wi-Fi [60]>Menu>Register Now.
    Step 8. DNS Lookup. Options>WiFi Connections>Menu>WiFi Tools>DNS Lookup. Under "Host:" type in "blackberry.net" (without " marks), then Menu>Lookup Host. Once you get a positive response, it will show the IP address your BB will use to now connect to the BB Infastructure successfully.

If none of this works, move onto the next advanced step.

Step 9a. Access the Engineering Screens aka E-screens. How? Debranded? press "Alt+R.Shift+H" simultaneously. Branded? Visit Thyth's Generator and follow the steps.
    Step 9b. Edit your Wi-Fi Power Mode to Active. How? From the E-Screen>WiFi 802.11 Engineering Screen>Config & Utilities>Power Modes>Set Power Mode>Highlight "Active - (Minimum)" or "Short Doze - (Normal)" and click "Execute Action". (EDIT: With the advent of 5.0 OS the options for WiFi 802.11 Engineering Screen has changed. To find the WiFi Power Modes, navigate to WiFi 802.11 Engineering Screen>Actions>Driver>Power Modes. A little different, that's all.)

This step increases the WiFi power to be able to fully connect to your router.

If I follow these steps, my WiFi connects to the BIS with no problems. To date, there is no WIFi connection that I cannot successfully connect to the BIS.

Note 1: Editing your WiFi power settings are not permanent, they do reset to default with a hard reset/battery pull.

Note 2: Setting your WiFi power to "Active -(Minimum)" means that it is active all the time meaning minimum power savings while not in use. This requires you to switch off/toggle your WiFi when not in use in order to conserve your battery power. The other option to this is switching your WiFi power to "Short Doze - (Normal)" instead, which will give you normal power consumption and will have short periods of inactivity when not in use.

Hopefully this helps those with WiFi woes.

Final Note: Strengthen the Crackberry Nation! If you followed the above suggestions, please post up your results. Your results may help another fellow member find a solution to his/her WiFi related problem!

Sam.
    Last edited by synwars; 04-12-10 at 10:13 PM.
    05-22-09 02:31 AM
    Great! The first option worked for me when I had this problem when i got the bold.
    05-22-09 03:21 AM
    i've had my berry 9months. always with the grey icon when using wifi. all of a sudden don't know if i have done anything or not but it's solid white - woo hoo! i'd sort of resigned myself to never being able to use BIS over wi-fi but now i can.

Orange UK user.
    05-22-09 07:06 AM
    Great post. Keep it coming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 10:00 AM
    i've had my berry 9months. always with the grey icon when using wifi. all of a sudden don't know if i have done anything or not but it's solid white - woo hoo! i'd sort of resigned myself to never being able to use BIS over wi-fi but now i can.

Orange UK user.
    I believe most Orange users have had mega problems connecting to the BIS over WiFi because of Orange BIS integration issues. I will post up a link later regarding that issue. Completely internal on Orange's part AFAIK.

05-22-09 05:04 PM
    Great post. Keep it coming.

Thanks mang. I've got more to add later. It seems everyone at some time has problems with BB WiFi connections.

05-22-09 05:06 PM
    Did some editing to the original post, added info on default resets in Italics.

05-22-09 05:10 PM
    My .02 is that the phone isn't the issue. You shouldn't have to do a
    Procedure that isn't pemanent. I do appreciate your efforts to help as I also had this issue. What I fond is that I had to buy a better router. I used to connect at 48 mbps and now its 54 mbps and no issues at all.

05-22-09 06:10 PM
    My .02 is that the phone isn't the issue. You shouldn't have to do a
    Procedure that isn't pemanent. I do appreciate your efforts to help as I also had this issue. What I fond is that I had to buy a better router. I used to connect at 48 mbps and now its 54 mbps and no issues at all.

See that's the weird thing. When greyed, it shows connected at 48 mbps. When white, it shows connected like normal at 54 mbps.

I don't own the router, not mine, can't change it, it is shared. As far as non-permanence goes, I am used to changing the voice codec eveytime I restart so to me it's no big deal. The settings stay the same even if you toggle the WiFi, it only changes when you restart, so I guess it would only be a PITA if you are in the habit of doing a battery pull more than once a day.

Why pay extra $$$ when I can make a simple e-screen change and it works fine?

To each their own I guess...

Sam

Last edited by synwars; 05-22-09 at 06:33 PM.
    05-22-09 06:29 PM
    Just edited the OP to add Note #2 on Power Saving.

Sam
    05-25-09 02:02 PM
    Great Post, Thanks for the info!

Now we just need to find out what the rest of the options do so we can set tweet the phone for us.
    06-25-09 07:13 AM
    Great Post, Thanks for the info!

Now we just need to find out what the rest of the options do so we can set tweet the phone for us.
    No problem!

06-25-09 10:16 AM
    Thanks synwars,

I'm pretty new to BB world and I still don't have a data plan (I know it suks!)

Anyways,

I had this problem in the past and is still occurring :-(

I'm able to connect to my WiFi router and I get IP/DNS fine, but the WiFi icon is still greyed out.

From 'Manage Connection' and I cleared box for 'Mobile Network'. This way I wanted to make sure that I'm not being charged by my SP (Rogers Canada).

But still I wasn't sure am I using Rogers Cell towers for connection, so from 'Options' -> 'Mobile Network' I set 'Data Services' to NO. As soon as I did this, I can NOT connect now (unless Data Services is on).

Anybody any advise?

Thanks in advance.
    06-27-09 08:07 PM
    I'm able to connect to my WiFi router and I get IP/DNS fine, but the WiFi icon is still greyed out.

From 'Manage Connection' and I cleared box for 'Mobile Network'. This way I wanted to make sure that I'm not being charged by my SP (Rogers Canada).

But still I wasn't sure am I using Rogers Cell towers for connection, so from 'Options' -> 'Mobile Network' I set 'Data Services' to NO. As soon as I did this, I can NOT connect now (unless Data Services is on).
    Hi mrblack,

This thread was created with the intention of helping those with BIS accounts connect to the BIS servers via WiFi.

Basically, your WiFi symbol will turn white when you are connected to your BIS account. If you do not have a BIS account, then your WiFi symbol won't turn grey. However, that doesn't mean that you cannot connect to you router/hotspot.

You can still connect to your router even if your WiFi symbol is grey. You will know you are connected by either there being your router's name on your homescreen next to your SP name (IE "Rogers - mrblack") or your simply by looking in your WiFi diagnostics option in "WiFi Options". For instance, as a simple test, I pulled out my SIM card from my BOLD and it now has a connection to my home router, now reading "Insert SIM Card - mann" with a grey WiFi symbol. This allows me to freely connect to the internet via my Hotspot Browser or Bolt Browser (WiFi only selected).

How do you make sure you are not going to get charged by your SP? You have a few options here:

1-Uncheck "Mobile Network" box in the "Manage Connections" window. Using this option is the only way FOR SURE to make sure you won't get charged by your SP.
    2-Only use your Hotspot browser for Internet usage, or use another Browser that allows "WiFi only" options (Bolt/Opera Mini).
    3-Do not use apps that require APN settings, only use apps that have WiFi only settings (IE Flycast, UltraPodcastPlayer, etc).

A good link to check out for Rogers subscribers using WiFi only not BIS/Data is: http://forums.crackberry.com/f73/tip...-rogers-17043/

Hopefully this answers your questions.
    06-27-09 11:09 PM
    Hey synwars, really appreciate the guide you made here.

Just one question, is there anyway to have alt+shift+H revert back to the generic "Help Me!" screen instead of showing the engineering screen? I tried a few battery pulls and they didn't work.

EDIT: Never mind, it just took a few more battery pulls is all hahahahaha.
    Last edited by friedriceballer; 07-05-09 at 11:56 AM.
    07-04-09 07:24 PM
    Hey synwars, really appreciate the guide you made here.

Just one question, is there anyway to have alt+shift+H revert back to the generic "Help Me!" screen instead of showing the engineering screen? I tried a few battery pulls and they didn't work.

EDIT: Never mind, it just took a few more battery pulls is all hahahahaha.
    Sorry for the late reply... 4 days late not bad :S

To switch back to the Help Me screen, all you have to do is change the date past what you set the Thyth code to be, save it, then go and switch it back. That will reset the Help Me screen. In effect, you trick the ROM into thinking it is past the set date of the Thyth generator code.

07-08-09 05:44 PM
    Update.

Swapped step 6 & 7.

Added step 8, DNS Lookup.

07-19-09 04:53 PM
    Very nice. I've bookmarked this thread in case this happens to me. Thanks bro
    No problem. Glad to help.
    07-20-09 03:03 PM
    Update.

Added "Final Note" to end of the thread. It's all about the "give a little, take a little."

07-20-09 03:05 PM
    I tried all options suggested but failed. In the end I managed to isolate the problem to my Netgear router.

Change the security settings from WEP to WPA2-PSK and it will work.

Ensure the browser is changed to 'Hotspot Browser'. After which, it is happy browsing using WIFI.
    07-27-09 11:30 AM
    Shortly after doing step 7 (Step 7. Register your phone again on the BB Infastructure. How? Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Wi-Fi [60]>Menu>Register Now.), my Wi-Fi symbol lit back up.

Thanks.
    08-22-09 08:29 AM
    Shortly after doing step 7 (Step 7. Register your phone again on the BB Infastructure. How? Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Wi-Fi [60]>Menu>Register Now.), my Wi-Fi symbol lit back up.

Thanks.
    Glad to help!

08-22-09 07:48 PM
    Tried all the above steps (although my host routing table is, and always has been, empty.)

I've had my phone about 8 months (8900), I have a Bold too (no prob with this though). It's been working fine until last week when all of a sudden my wifi symbol greyed out and now nothing works.

I left the country about 7 months ago and am now elsewhere. Due to this I had my plan disconnected and solely use my handset as a wifi device - and everything has functioned perfectly.

The handset allows access to websites even with the grey icon, but nothing else - windows live, gmail app, facebook app, etc.

If it's related to my lack of plan then that's bizarre as I haven't had one for 7months, and I login to my BIS account on my old carriers website once a month to keep it active.

Any help that can be provided would be awesome.

Thanks.

Edit: handset is unlocked and unbranded.
    Last edited by Murderoticadam; 10-12-09 at 11:49 AM.
    10-12-09 10:44 AM
    Tried all the above steps (although my host routing table is, and always has been, empty.)

I've had my phone about 8 months (8900), I have a Bold too (no prob with this though). It's been working fine until last week when all of a sudden my wifi symbol greyed out and now nothing works.

I left the country about 7 months ago and am now elsewhere. Due to this I had my plan disconnected and solely use my handset as a wifi device - and everything has functioned perfectly.

The handset allows access to websites even with the grey icon, but nothing else - windows live, gmail app, facebook app, etc.

If it's related to my lack of plan then that's bizarre as I haven't had one for 7months, and I login to my BIS account on my old carriers website once a month to keep it active.

Any help that can be provided would be awesome.

Thanks.

Edit: handset is unlocked and unbranded.
    Hi,

If you do not have a BIS plan, then this thread is not for you. White Icon means that your connection is routed through your BIS account. If you have no BIS account, you will not have a white icon.

10-14-09 01:54 PM
    Hey SynWars

So I bought my bb curve 8520 unlocked and GSM. It's from the UK, the "Orange" provider but I use a Rogers SIM card. When I first put in my SIM and connect to wifi it worked. Next day I tried my school and failed. After that at home it doenst work no more. I have been playing around with the settings like the hotspot browers and the shop - magasin thingy, that's my other option.

So I did follow all your instructions but still failed. I got grey wifi says ROGERS - Malnet. On my brower this wifi block of squares is green which i think means active, an unlock lock, and grey wifi. I did the DNS Lookup and I got a positive said it's found and gave me numbers, but still not connected. any help?

And just to clarify
    Hotspot Browser - wifi no data being used
    Shop - Magasin - data being used?

ok nvm guys now my wifi works for some reason! but i still got grey wifi i would like white wifi tho lol
    Last edited by jmalunay; 10-17-09 at 01:33 AM.
    10-16-09 01:06 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD