Just returned from a trip to the East Coast. Like a regular cell phone, I expected my BB 8830 to change automatically to the local time where I was (getting local time from the Verizon network).

But the BB stayed on Pacific time (my home time). When I manually changed it to Eastern time, all my calendar entries got moved up by 3 hours (!). (I guess it was just trying to be helpful.)

Is there a setting somewhere to tell the BB to switch the time display to local time but leave the calendar alone?
    06-30-07 08:20 PM
    I do not believe so since your calendar is directly tied to your timezone settings.
    06-30-07 09:51 PM
    Also, in options / date & time settings, is it set to Network, or BlackBerry? I think that makes a difference to whether it's going to change automatically or not...
    06-30-07 10:37 PM
    I have been through this. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. It doesn't work like a cell phone and remains on the same time exactly for that reason - tied to the calendar entries (and maybe others). You can manually change the time and change it back, as you saw but the calendar will continue to be "helpful" and adjust with the change.....

Just returned from a trip to the East Coast. Like a regular cell phone, I expected my BB 8830 to change automatically to the local time where I was (getting local time from the Verizon network).

But the BB stayed on Pacific time (my home time). When I manually changed it to Eastern time, all my calendar entries got moved up by 3 hours (!). (I guess it was just trying to be helpful.)

Is there a setting somewhere to tell the BB to switch the time display to local time but leave the calendar alone?
    06-30-07 11:55 PM
    Also, in options / date & time settings, is it set to Network, or BlackBerry? I think that makes a difference to whether it's going to change automatically or not...
    Thanks, Nav. I checked that after your post, and it is set to Network. So I guess that doesn't affect the local time display (although I can't understand why).

Seems like a poor design choice by RIM. I would think most business travelers would depend (as I always have) on their mobile phone to remind them of the local time. And after all, that is the BB 8830 market, isn't it?
    07-01-07 12:09 PM
    Here's another idea.

Maybe some enterprising third party software developer can come up with a program that displays a "local" clock on the home screen along with the (fixed) BlackBerry time. That would be very cool.

Doesn't CrackBerry have input to some of these after market developers??
    07-01-07 12:12 PM
    Thanks, Nav. I checked that after your post, and it is set to Network. So I guess that doesn't affect the local time display (although I can't understand why).

Seems like a poor design choice by RIM. I would think most business travelers would depend (as I always have) on their mobile phone to remind them of the local time. And after all, that is the BB 8830 market, isn't it?
    My Motorola Q worked the same as my 8830. I used to have an old Samsung Windows Smartphone that would update its clock while traveling and it screwed up the calendar so bad I stopped using the phone calendar.
    07-01-07 03:23 PM
    How ironic; I was just about to post the exact same thing. I live on the East coast and I just flew into San Diego last night. I was shocked to see that the time didn't change!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-07 11:29 AM
    OK, why would this surprise anyone? The timezone is handled by the handheld (LOCALY), it's just the time syncronization that can be set to pull from network. It would be nice if it did both, but that's not a core functionality of the handheld OS. RIM should have thought of this, but they didn't.
    07-02-07 03:15 PM
    For those of you who are major travelers, this may help:

WorldMate software application downloads for BlackBerry phones- 7100, 7210, 7230, 7280, 7290, 7510, 7520, 7730, 7750, 7780,8700

Seems a little expensive, but if you travel a lot, there appears to be a ton of useful things it can do that I would imagine making this worth the cost.
    07-02-07 05:51 PM
    Well, there seems no way to change the basic RIM software to get local network time.

But I did find a nice (and cheap) work around for travelers -- and it's right here on CrackBerry. There's a nice analog clock application that you can use as a "home page" on the 8830, as an "overlay" of the actual home screen. It can be set for thousands of different appearance options, and there are "hot keys" for key applications (type "a" for address book, etc.).

It doesn't help the "sync to the local time" problem, but at least you can set this clock to the local time and display it WITHOUT affecting all your calendar entries.

Only $7.95. Installs easily and looks good. Click Here
    07-06-07 02:15 PM
    I made the mistake of purchasing WorldMate. It does a lot of cool stuff but it also has an internal clock that syncs with some unknown server such that any information that I accessed in any time zone (flights etc.) was 5-8hours off. Not very useful. WorldMate is aware of the problem and working on it but no apparent time line when it will be fixed. I got a refund.
    08-16-07 01:36 PM
    If someone from Blackberry is reading this, please don't provide the excuse "some people prefer to see the timezone of their 'home location' even when they are travelling because it makes it easier for them to make appts." Pardon my French, but that's a load of s$#t. I don't know about other folks, but when I travel, it's because I have meetings in the place I am travelling to! I have enough problems adjusting to the new timezone. I do not need to miss a meeting because my blackberry's time is incorrect.

PLEASE fix this issue. At the very least, make it an option for users to set.

Thank You.
    10-03-07 11:41 AM
    My old Nokia changes times to wherever I was and I did not even have to change my morning alarm. This phone is a small computer...my axx!!
    10-21-07 12:33 AM
    I've been playing with this since I first bought the BB. If I change my time zone in options the time of each appointment changes. In addition to the BB time zone setting, each appointment has its own time zone setting. If you change the appointment time zone setting to the time zone that is appropriate for the appointment everything will work out fine. The tough part is that the BB will display the appointment in the time zone that the BB is currently set for. Example, a 10:00AM appointment scheduled in the Eastern time zone displays as 7:00AM if the BB is set for the Arizona time zone. But once the time zone of the BB is changed to Eastern during your travels, the appointment is displayed at 10:00AM. In a twisted sort of way it makes sense. You just have to make sure the appointment is really scheduled right.

I'm not saying this is right. This is just how it works...There are a few things about my old Treo did that I wish the 8830 did. For the most part I am very happy with my new BB. I wouldn't give it back!
    10-21-07 01:50 AM
    It actually makes sense based on how your computer works...if you change the time zone setting of your computer to the local time when you travel, all your appointments in Outlook will do the same thing (as I discovered once and never made that mistake again!).

I too have noted that if you go all the way into the date/time settings, you will see the system time, the time zone setting, and the "network time" that the device is currently picking up from the cellular network.

I think the reason the calendar gets jacked up is that when you create an entry (and both Outlook and BB do this), the time is not actually recorded as 7:00 (or whatever) - it is created as "GMT, plus or minus some offset" determined by your time zone. So the underlying universal/GMT time stamp is constant, and the "displayed" time of the meeting changes depending on the time zone the device is set to.

This is a problem for my company because all our calendar entries are created as "local time" by default - so when we enter a calendar entry, even though we are working in Eastern time, when we set an 8 AM meeting in Los Angeles, it goes on the calendar as 8:00 - and by convention, when employees look at the calendar, they know they're looking at "local time" wherever the appointment is supposed to take place.

It seems to me that the easiest fix/workaround would be for there to be an option in the Time settings to allow the user to choose whether "Device Time" (i.e. GMT + home time zone offset) or "Network Time" is displayed on the home screen. There could also be an option in the Alarm Clock app that would allow you to select whether your alarms would be based on the Device Time or Network Time.

This seems to be the most straightforward way to provide what many business travelers seem to want without having to revamp the underlying OS and the way the calendaring function works fundamentally (this also allows it to sync with Outlook).

I don't know anything about programming, but if somebody developed an app that allowed you to do those two things (display and alarm based on Network Time), I would buy it!!!!
    06-13-09 11:33 AM
    Since the most recent post in this thread (before the preceding post) was a year and a half earlier, I am going to close this thread and provide a link to more up to date information, from the How To and FAQ Forum.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/expl...e-zones-46190/
    06-13-09 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD