A double reset does the same thing as a battery pull...
    Yes, I knew that's what you meant. At the risk of sounding dumb, how do you know? I've never been able to detect a difference in results from a single pull vs a double pull vs a battery pull. What measurable difference do you see?
    06-05-09 09:19 PM
    Yes, I knew that's what you meant. At the risk of sounding dumb, how do you know? I've never been able to detect a difference in results from a single pull vs a double pull vs a battery pull. What measurable difference do you see?
    I see the same difference that I would see with a battery pull.

I have 35MB file free and my RF is stuck at 1x so I pull the battery and come back with 47MB file free and 1XEV.

If I do a double ALT+shift+delete, I have the same results.

A single pull would be a soft reset and to be honest I'm not sure what a soft reset even does.

A double pull would be a hard reset the same as a battery pull.

I honestly believe that a double ALT+shift+delete is the same as a battery pull.

Anyone is more than welcome to prove me wrong
    06-05-09 10:07 PM
    It's not my intention to prove you wrong. Even if you are, I couldn't prove it. The only way to prove it would be by analysis of the code that runs when the phone is reset or the battery pulled. Unless somebody from RIM wants to do that for us, all we'll have to go on is empirical data. Since you have a newer processor in your 8330 than I have in my 8830, you could have equally valid but different results from mine.

Here's what I did, and the results I got.
    I have a Verizon 8830 running OS 4.5.0.160. I had not rebooted in several days, so File Free was low. Before I started this experiment, my File Free was 7 807 460 bytes. I performed a single Alt-R.Shft-Del. When my phone finished rebooting, File Free was 13 790 460 bytes. Without doing anything else, I immediately did another Alt-R.Shft-Del. This time I watched, and when the white screen came up, I did another Alt-R.Shft-Del. The screen went black again, signifying that I had indeed done another reset. When the phone finished rebooting, File Free was 13 779 024 bytes. That's insignificantly less than after a single reset. Then, without doing anything else, I pulled the battery. When the phone finished rebooting, File Free was 13 847 156 bytes.

Initial File Free: 7 807 460 bytes
    Single Reset: 13 790 460 bytes
    Double Reset: 13 779 024 bytes
    Battery Pull: 13 847 156 bytes

Based on these results, for my device, there is no significant difference in File Free resulting from a Single Reset, Double Reset, or Battery Pull. Your results may well be different. Obviously a Battery Pull will clear keyboard faults that might preclude a keyboard reset from being effective. I don't have any way of forcing the radio to get stuck on 1X, so I can't test that scenario.
    06-06-09 12:24 AM
    If I'm wrong then I want someone to prove me wrong

And it sounds like I might be.

I'm going to perform the same test you did and see what I get.
    06-06-09 08:02 AM
    Unfortunately your "tests" are not very scientific...although they do produce data. You can't actually PROVE anything statistically speaking, but in order to have an appropriate data set to compare, the tests need to be designed appropriately to handle "lurking" variables. You should at least do the same (exact) test twice.
    06-06-09 10:23 AM
    Unfortunately your "tests" are not very scientific...although they do produce data. You can't actually PROVE anything statistically speaking, but in order to have an appropriate data set to compare, the tests need to be designed appropriately to handle "lurking" variables. You should at least do the same (exact) test twice.
    You're right, of course. Here're the results from repeating the same test.

Beginning File Free: 12 180 359 bytes
    Alt-R.Shft-Del
    File Free: 13 729 263
    Alt-R.Shft-Del, wait for white screen, then Alt-R.Shft-Del again
    File Free: 13 734 731
    Battery Pull
    File Free: 13 697 587

Again, no significant difference in results of the three different resets. That the battery pull gave a lower result than the other two suggests one of your "lurking" variables at work, but the difference is still insignificant.

And a 3rd data point, a day later

Beginning File Free: 11 579 174 bytes
    Alt-R.Shft-Del
    File Free: 13 922 282
    Alt-R.Shft-Del, wait for white screen, then Alt-R.Shft-Del again
    File Free: 13 846 790
    Battery Pull
    File Free: 13 885 714

I now have 3 data samples that support my assertion that for the 8830, there is no meaningful difference in the results (in terms of File Free) of a single-reset, a double-reset, or a battery pull. Obviously a battery pull can reset hardware faults that make a keyboard non-responsive.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-07-09 at 06:36 PM. Reason: 3rd data sample, 24 hours later
    06-06-09 02:42 PM
    [color=gray]

Twice today I have seen the following error when attempting to play a podcast: "Device media processor is busy." A reboot is necessary to play media files again. Also after this, the memory seems to drop about 3 megs. I did listen to podcasts all day, so this does not hapen whenever you play media, just sometimes. I was able to still play youtube videos after this, but pandora did not work. This may be a problem with the media app and/or the browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I've been having this same issue. I played one song and as it started playing the second one the same error message popped up. I had to pull the battery, but haven't tried playing songs again.
    06-06-09 03:28 PM
    Can anyone comment on whether .160 fixes the issue with BB messenger that surfaced in .138? Each time I pull the battery, my BB thinks the PIN has changed and wipes my contacts from messenger, or wants to notify each contact that I have a new device.
    06-08-09 11:30 AM
    It did not fix it for me. But 4.5.0.160 fixed enough other problems for me that it's still a big improvement over 4.5.0.138.

06-08-09 11:42 AM
    HELP ME!!

I think I broke it.

i went to do the upgrade, same way I've done it the past 3 or 4 times I've done it before and now I have no browser.

I just found out i can't reply to a test email either.

Hmmm, somehow my browser seems to be back, and the problem with sending the email seems to be that the account is gone. (I have 2 email accounts on my blackberry) and somehow i recieved the email, but cant reply.
    Last edited by savage_beast; 06-08-09 at 11:25 PM.
    06-08-09 11:20 PM
    HELP ME!!

I think I broke it.

i went to do the upgrade, same way I've done it the past 3 or 4 times I've done it before and now I have no browser.

I just found out i can't reply to a test email either.
    You just need to re-register your HRT. Options / Advanced Options / Host Routing Table / Register Now. That will solve both problems.
    06-08-09 11:23 PM
    Go to Options/Advanced Options/Host Routing Table press menu and select Register Now.

And resend your service books.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/serv...ks-how-115031/

06-08-09 11:25 PM
    ok, seems to be working better now. will update if anything else happens. i almost want to do a complete wipe and reinstall tho.
    06-08-09 11:36 PM
    That sounds more like a theme issue than an OS issue. Are you using something other than one of the BBDimension themes?
    Nope using standard theme.
    06-09-09 08:08 AM
    Have you tried a different theme? I am using BBDimension L. I assume you've done a battery pull as well? That's an odd problem.

06-09-09 11:58 AM
    Findings summary added to OP. Let me know if I missed anything.
    06-09-09 04:14 PM
    Have you tried a different theme? I am using BBDimension L. I assume you've done a battery pull as well? That's an odd problem.

I'm using Dimension Zen. I have done a battery pull. Like I said before, I had this problem with 4.2 as well, it went away with 4.5.0.135 then came back with .160. It's very strange the no one else is experiencing this issue. It's strange even with out knowing that really.
    06-09-09 04:16 PM
    Can anyone comment on whether .160 fixes the issue with BB messenger that surfaced in .138? Each time I pull the battery, my BB thinks the PIN has changed and wipes my contacts from messenger, or wants to notify each contact that I have a new device.
    It did not fix it for me. But 4.5.0.160 fixed enough other problems for me that it's still a big improvement over 4.5.0.138.

I have not experienced this with my BB messenger and .138. Does it happen each time you do a battery pull?
    06-09-09 09:38 PM
    I have not experienced this with my BB messenger and .138. Does it happen each time you do a battery pull?
    With me, it happens every time I do a battery pull or a Alt-R.Shft-Del reset. Either reset causes it. It started when I installed 4.5.0.138.
    06-09-09 10:20 PM
    With me, it happens every time I do a battery pull or a Alt-R.Shft-Del reset. Either reset causes it. It started when I installed 4.5.0.138.
    Exactly the same for me. I'll try the upgrade to .160 and see what happens. Downloading now.
    06-10-09 06:41 AM
    Exactly the same for me. I'll try the upgrade to .160 and see what happens. Downloading now.
    I've had the same problem before, but resolved it by temporarily disabling the content protection.
    Installing .160 now and hoping it will permanently fix it.
    Last edited by darkknightuga; 06-10-09 at 07:55 AM. Reason: poor wording
    06-10-09 07:54 AM
    My IT policy won't allow me to disable content protection, but that's a good suggestion for others to try. I don't have many bbm contacts, so updating the list is just a minor nuisance for me.

06-10-09 08:18 AM
    Good point--I'm using a personal BB so I didn't think about the IT policy to prohibit disabling content protection.

Just an update: I successfully upgraded to .160 on my VZW 8830WE and it fixes the issue with BlackBerry Messenger. No issues for me other than my calendar entries not importing, but I used the Advanced Backup in Desktop Manager to save those beforehand.
    06-10-09 09:19 AM
    Did .160 fix the issue for you, even with Content Protection enabled? If so, then I have some additional problem that you don't.

06-10-09 09:21 AM
    Did .160 fix the issue for you, even with Content Protection enabled? If so, then I have some additional problem that you don't.

Yes, it seems to have fixed it on mine. I'm using content protection on Strong strength, not including address book, and no content compression. I've only rebooted a couple times, though, and will keep you guys updated as I get a few more test cases to confirm.
    06-10-09 09:31 AM
212 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD