I am trying to access my work email through my blackberry. I unfortunately have to jump through hoops to access the email through my web browser....it first asked me to trust the certificate which I did...then it is asking me for the key store password. Where do I locate this??? HELP!!
    Last edited by bgittiban; 09-18-07 at 02:10 PM.
    09-18-07 09:34 AM
    The key store settings are located in Settings/Options/Security Options/Key Stores, although I honestly have no idea how you enabled it. or what you need to do to disable it...I can show you a screenshot of mine, and just simply say it has never been an issue for me.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 09-18-07 at 10:52 PM.
    09-18-07 10:49 PM
    It's to do with the type of security being used on the Exchange (or whatever server) server they have setup...

If you don't want to add your device to BES, why not ask them to forward a copy of your email to your personal address? Albeit, I won't do it for my users, but some companies might offer this option...
    09-19-07 04:44 AM
    Thank you both for your help. I managed to disable it and it appears to be working fine now.
    Thanks again!
    09-20-07 04:41 PM
    does anyone know the keystore password that is set for a new 8120 device as i need it to allow my works certificate and also to change the values in the keystore area.
    09-29-08 08:59 AM
    There is not a default key store password. Before you do anything else, make a full backup. Now go to Options / Security Options / Key Stores. You may be given an opportunity to enter and confirm a Key Store Password. If you are, do it and you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, the device may think you already have a Key Store password. You may have been prompted to create one when you set up your device, but you may not have been.

If you have a password set on your BlackBerry, try that. You may have used the same one for the Key Store password.

If you are already being asked for a Key Store password, and the 10-try counter is decrementing, then your BlackBerry will be wiped back to a factory out-of-the-box condition when you use up your attempts. At that point, all you can do is restore from your most recent backup. But the password will be removed, and the device will be usable again.

I recently found this tip that I consider UNVERIFIED: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/keys...rd-help-20878/
    the secret to the Key Password Issue is use your BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It's easy, first back up your black berry, then wipe it and the connect it to the desktop manager and it well ask you to enter in a pass key for your phone. What ever you enter is going to be the pass key store. It takes all of 5 minutes to do and then you can use all features that Research on the Move requires a pass key for.

If this works for you, please let me know so I can remove the "unverified" tag.
    09-29-08 10:52 PM
    i put in 10 passwords which wiped the device and setup the device again and i was able to put in my own password.

thanks for you help.
    09-30-08 12:28 PM
    I have the key store disabled and it still keeps asking for key store password when my google mail trys to access it. How do i stop it without wiping everything.
    11-13-08 09:45 AM
    Did you try the tip in Post #6?
    11-13-08 09:54 AM
    I was in the waiting room at my doctors office and decided to see if wi-fi was available and since the office is located next to the hospital and medical center, it was available. It was an open hotspot-type thing that required no password, but when I tried going on CB.com, it asked me to set a key store password (first time I ever saw that). If I hit escape (or maybe it was cancel?) the key store prompt would go away. But it would pop up again when I tried to go on another page on CB (and other sites). So, I just thought it would go away if I just set one (same as my bb password so I won't forget) but it still kept asking me to store a key store password on each subsequent page. I just kept hitting cancel after that. I could go online, but the prompt/cancel routine was annoying.
    11-13-08 12:15 PM
    thnx! in the process of backing up to set password again cause i forgot my old one and was freaking out jeje
    11-24-08 07:23 PM
    This key store password issue is mind boggling to me. After my device wiped itself clean and followed the advice I've read here and entered a new key store password. Today when I connected the device (8330) and entered the key store I'd saved, I was prompted that it was incorrect. So, there must be more to this issue. Also, I'm assuming that there is a way to have it never prompt for a key store password. Is the latter correct? If not, then I'll never connect the device to my pc again and it will essentially be as useful as a phone with a camera.

Frustrated user in Maryland.
    12-08-08 01:26 PM
    I copied the following from my 8830 User Guide. Your 8330 should be very similar if not identical.
    Set permissions for a third-party application
    Note: Changing permissions for third-party applications can significantly affect the operation of applications on your BlackBerry� device.
    If you are unsure about how changing these permissions might affect the operation of the applications on your device, contact your system
    administrator or wireless service provider for more information.
    1. In the device options, click Advanced Options.
    2. Click Applications.
    3. Highlight a third-party application.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Perform one of the following actions:
    � To set permissions for the highlighted third-party application, click Edit Permissions.
    � To set permissions for all third-party applications, click Edit Default Permissions.
    6. Expand Connections, Interactions, or User Data.
    7. Set the permission fields.
    8. Press the Menu key.
    9. Click Save.

Data permissions for third-party applications
    Email:
    Set whether third-party applications can access email, SMS text, or PIN messages on your BlackBerry� device.
    PIM:
    Set whether third-party applications can access organizer data such as contacts, calendar entries, tasks, or memos.
    Files:
    Set whether third-party applications can access files that you store on your device. For example, you can set whether third-party
    applications can access files that you transfer to your device using the media manager tool of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager or
    Bluetooth� technology.
    Key Store:
    Set whether third-party applications can access certificates or keys in the key store on your device.
    Key Store Medium Security:
    Set whether third-party applications can access certificates or keys in the key store if your device caches the key store password.

Based on this write-up and your description of the problem, it sounds like you may have a third party app that's requesting key store access that's causing the problem. If you just installed an app, check its permissions as described above.
    12-08-08 04:05 PM
    Thank you both for your help. I managed to disable it and it appears to be working fine now.
    Thanks again!
    Hi there,

I am having the same problem while trying to access Facebook on my BB. How did you disable it?

thanx,
    FM
    01-02-09 02:32 PM
    RE:#6 that worked but I have some more ideas....

But what is interesting is I am one of these people who swears they were never asked to set up a key store in the first place.

Before the wipe when I was asked for my key store password and I typed anything in - the characters were visible and not obscured with *

After the wipe and restore I was not prompted to created a key store password during the setup wizard.

I finished that and went straight to the key store within security and it prompted me to create a password - perfect

But now when I access the keystore the password IS obscured.

I propose this is a bug in the software. Assuming a Key Store password has NOT been created: When an application first tries something on the device which requires access to the keystore the blackberry prompts user for Key Store password - user enters something assuming it is the same as the password used to lock the device. Password is wrong. This kicks in the 2/10 attempts before wipe and therefore we can never enter the password which was never there in the first place.

hope that makes sense and thanks for the tip!!
    02-05-09 11:54 AM
    Had problem with an unknown password for Key Store. After reading JeffH's response of 9/29/08, I did the following, which was successful...

FIRST, I did a total backup with the Desktop Manager on my computer. Then ran up the attempts to enter a password for the Key Store until it hit the 10 and WIPE point.

Here's what happened... The Storm froze. Took out the battery, waited 30 seconds, reinstalled. Turn on Storm. White screen with wiping bar appears, bar runs twice, then black screen with clock icon. Then white screen with blue bar at bottom. Storm verifies security data on its own, then presents EULA for an OK. Set up Wizard starts. Automatically connects with wireless network, asks for time zone setting and launches the keyboard training. At this point, I exited the wizard.

I was concerned I would have to re-register the Storm with Verizon to be able to use it. But that wasn't necessary.

BEFORE doing the restore, I went to Options, Security, Key Store. Entered new password and verified by typing it again when asked. If you want to have this password the same as the master password, click the button to "Synchronize Key Store Password to Device Password." Note that the Device Password must be enabled to do this. I probably could have done this after the restore, but I wanted to make sure it WAS changed and the restore wouldn't put the old, unknown password back.

Before doing the restore, I checked the memory card and discovered all my music and photos were still there. Otherwise, all personal data was gone. I did a restore and now all is well! I checked the Key Store and it accepted my new password without problem. Success!!! Took about 1/2 hour total.
    03-17-09 01:15 PM
    Thanks for posting your success. Key Store password problems rarely end so well. Maybe your story will help the next person with the same problem.
    03-17-09 09:51 PM
    I know its a long shot but is there any way to retrieve data after an accidental wipe and no i didn't backup my BB b/c i didn't know i had to or how to. Sorry i should have mentioned this happened when i got a message to put in my key store pw so that i could get on the facebook mobile site. I didn't know attempting to put in a pw word would wipe my BB.
    Last edited by blue_80; 03-19-09 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to add info
    03-19-09 09:19 PM
    Sorry, but no. Data is irretrievable after a wipe. That's happened before with Face book, but not only with Facebook.
    03-19-09 09:26 PM
    I was having the problem of Blackberry Curve 8330 constantly flipping on a "your accessing a site that is not trusted - yadah, yadah - your choice is to keep fighting those pop-ups, or cancel, or tell it to trust. Tell it trust, then BB wants a key store password - I never set! There is a very vague post at the rim site on this issue, basically they know there is the problem and haven't fixed it.

I tried one poster's suggestion to go in and allow 3rd party apps, but that didn't work.

After browsing and reading MANY posts on this, I followed another poster's instructions that worked for them.

Totally back up BB using desktop mgr.
    Disconnect
    Do a manual wipe (from phone not Desktop mgr)
    Once BB back up (just sit and wait, let BB do it's thang)
    I went in and set a Key Store password
    Then back on the Desktop mgr
    reload the last backup
    ran a partial wizard, skipped the email set up since that was on ok from the reload.

So far anything I browse that was flooding me with the pop ups are not doing it any more. I thought I would have to enter the password and tell it to trust, but . . . nothing. I may run into something later but so far no pop ups.

It was very scary to wipe my sweet BB, but everything loaded back just like it was before, less the pop ups of course

Thank you Crackberry Family!
    Last edited by His_Star; 05-02-09 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spell chek
    05-02-09 06:33 PM
    This is why I use the gmail app. I'm not sure what e-mail you use but Gmail has an app that works well. Of course the e-mails automatically go to my regular inbox when I recieve them but if I want to log on and see e-mails I've read on the computer I just click the gmail app and there it is.

The mobile google app works well too and has the option to just search mobile sites.
    05-02-09 06:42 PM
    Hi Guys,

after some trouble I solved the problem on my Storm.
    First attempt:
    I wiped my Storm 9050 via Options - Security Options - General Settings - Secure GC Enabled - Wipe Handheld (Include third party application unchecked) and performed a restore of all my data. After one or two hours of struggle the status of my BlackBerry was the same as before :-O
    Second attempt:
    I deleted some certificates from key store especially my personal certificates which where downloaded from my PC during certificate synchronization. And tatatata: the Storm didn't ask me about key store password anymore at startup :-))

Cheers
    Chris
    08-05-09 02:49 AM
    I was having the problem of Blackberry Curve 8330 constantly flipping on a "your accessing a site that is not trusted - yadah, yadah - your choice is to keep fighting those pop-ups, or cancel, or tell it to trust. Tell it trust, then BB wants a key store password - I never set! There is a very vague post at the rim site on this issue, basically they know there is the problem and haven't fixed it.

I tried one poster's suggestion to go in and allow 3rd party apps, but that didn't work.

After browsing and reading MANY posts on this, I followed another poster's instructions that worked for them.

Totally back up BB using desktop mgr.
    Disconnect
    Do a manual wipe (from phone not Desktop mgr)
    Once BB back up (just sit and wait, let BB do it's thang)
    I went in and set a Key Store password
    Then back on the Desktop mgr
    reload the last backup
    ran a partial wizard, skipped the email set up since that was on ok from the reload.

So far anything I browse that was flooding me with the pop ups are not doing it any more. I thought I would have to enter the password and tell it to trust, but . . . nothing. I may run into something later but so far no pop ups.

It was very scary to wipe my sweet BB, but everything loaded back just like it was before, less the pop ups of course

Thank you Crackberry Family!
    I did the same thing in my Curve 8330m and everything went fine. Now I have a new key store password and my BB is functioning ok with all my data and configuration.
    Thanx Crackberry guys!!
    08-28-09 10:37 PM
    All you have to do is a software update. Go to network manager and look for updates and then do the update. After that the key store password is changed to nothing and it needs to be set. So set it and there you go. If your phone does not need a software update. Just back everything up with network manager and do a hand held wipe and then restore.
    10-03-09 06:54 PM
    i hav a similar problem with a bold 9000. desk top manager started to update the device which failed in the middle. to make a long story short it ended up wiping everything and reloading. after that it started to ask for a key store accses. if i enter the password i use for every thing. it then says "the following application is requesting accsess to your trusted key store." when i hit ok it then says"the certificate could not be added to the trusted key store due to it policy restrictions." what the heck does that mean? i just want to get rid of this whole key store thing like the phone was before.
    01-05-10 05:44 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD