I have backed up my 8330 Curve over the past couple of months with no problems using the Desktop Manager Backup & Restore function. Today I tried to back it up and it keeps getting an error message. It starts the backup process and when it gets to "Receiving Profiles" it quits half way through and displays the following message, "Communication Error. The data was not recognized by the device."

What is the problem and how do I solve it?

Thanks,

Aram
    Allentown, PA
    10-14-08 10:09 PM
    Have you upgraded your Desktop Manager?
    10-15-08 12:29 PM
    I am having the same problem. I was using desktop 4.3 (i think), but recently upgraded to desktop 4.6 and continue to have this program. The only way I can figure to get around it is by doing an advanced backup and backing up everything but the profiles. A fix would be nice though.
    10-21-08 01:44 AM
    I'm having the same issue with my 8310 and DM 4.6. Gets to profiles and gives me a communication error.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve?
    10-21-08 09:41 AM
    I too have the same issue. I understand that it's a corruption in your profiles folder. Go to backup, then advanced and delete your profiles folder. By doing this, it will reset itself, but you will have to reset your specila ringtones and stuff for your contacts. I haven't done this yet, so I go to advanced and backup and save everything except the profiles folder. I've got DM 4.6 and still using Verizon's 4.3 OS. I'm waiting to delete my profiles when Verizon ever comes out with the new OS. they take FOREVER!

jkk4
    10-21-08 10:07 AM
    Good stuff to know jkk4.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-08 10:14 AM
    I have backed up my 8330 Curve over the past couple of months with no problems using the Desktop Manager Backup & Restore function. Today I tried to back it up and it keeps getting an error message. It starts the backup process and when it gets to "Receiving Profiles" it quits half way through and displays the following message, "Communication Error. The data was not recognized by the device."

What is the problem and how do I solve it?

Thanks,

Aram
    Allentown, PA
    On mine the problem (identical to your description) was caused by the WSJ Reader I had downloaded. I had to delete the WSJ Reader and the backup started working again.
    10-31-08 01:49 PM
    I too have the same issue. I understand that it's a corruption in your profiles folder. Go to backup, then advanced and delete your profiles folder. By doing this, it will reset itself, but you will have to reset your specila ringtones and stuff for your contacts. I haven't done this yet, so I go to advanced and backup and save everything except the profiles folder. I've got DM 4.6 and still using Verizon's 4.3 OS. I'm waiting to delete my profiles when Verizon ever comes out with the new OS. they take FOREVER!

jkk4
    Good info, thanks for sharing!
    10-31-08 01:54 PM
    On mine the problem (identical to your description) was caused by the WSJ Reader I had downloaded. I had to delete the WSJ Reader and the backup started working again.
    I have the same problem as the OP and had also downloaded WSJ Mobile Reader. But despite deleting the WSJ Mobile Reader I am still having the same problem. Backup fails at "Profiles". Only workaround is to perform selective backup and no select Profiles.

AT&T Pearl 8100 with BDM ver. 4.2.1.8 and OS ver. 4.2

Anyone else have thoughts on this problem? What's the Profiles file for and what's the danger in deleting it?
    11-01-08 02:37 PM
    I have the same problem as the OP and had also downloaded WSJ Mobile Reader. But despite deleting the WSJ Mobile Reader I am still having the same problem. Backup fails at "Profiles". Only workaround is to perform selective backup and no select Profiles.

AT&T Pearl 8100 with BDM ver. 4.2.1.8 and OS ver. 4.2

Anyone else have thoughts on this problem? What's the Profiles file for and what's the danger in deleting it?
    Profiles has your customized and I believe standard profiles saved in it (loud, vibrate, quiet, etc. Press F on the keyboard - if you don't have it set to dial from the home screen - or select the icon.).

Selective backup works for me as long as I unselect profiles, profiles options and key store options.

Wish I could figure out why. It's driving me crazy!
    11-14-08 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD