Here's a very simple app that streams audio to a non-A2DP Bluetooth headset, ie., most mono Bluetooth headsets.

OTA link http://btplay.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/btplay.jad
    Source code is also available under ISC license (see Source section) btplay - Google Code

Please let me know if you find any obvious problems with the app, though I have tested this myself to some extent, so it should be pretty useable.

Please also see btplay - Google Code for a list of obvious/known problems or caveats with this release.
    07-12-09 01:18 AM
    Very cool! Ill be trying this out in the morning.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 01:27 AM
    Awesome! Works great in my first tests. I really wanted something like this for podcasts on non-A2DP headsets.
    07-13-09 04:53 AM
    one question do i have to use the built in player or will it also broadcast the audio from say Pandora?
    07-13-09 08:43 AM
    one question do i have to use the built in player or will it also broadcast the audio from say Pandora?
    The in built player will not stream audio to non-A2DP devices, which is why you have to open and play files from the application.

I'm not sure what Pandora will do.

The app will only stream what files you open within it, it cannot affect audio from other applications.
    07-13-09 04:53 PM
    I'm kind of happy to report that's not quite true.

I just open btplay and then launch PodTrapper to listen on my non-A2DP headset. Works every time :-) Unfortunately the same trick doesn't seem to work with BB Media Player.
    07-13-09 08:36 PM
    ...that's interesting.

It may be that changing the audio routing path for one application that use the javax.microedition.media.Player changes it for all applications that use that API, although you have to actually open a file for it to switch audio routing path.

It could be that PodTrapper has this functionality built in? I don't know.

I will do some testing at some point...
    07-13-09 08:40 PM
    Tried it out, worked for me. Well done, looking forward to the next release.
    07-16-09 01:30 PM
    Excellent! Works great, cant wait for a version with multiple file capabilities.
    Thank you.
    07-17-09 02:06 AM
    Any chance of sending a video's audio out - even to A2DP headsets? I understand there might be a "lip sync" issue - maybe your program could allow some adjustment?
    07-17-09 09:48 AM
    I just tried this app and it froze everything up completely! I had opened the app and then turned on the bt. It left the screen up that said the bt had connected. It would not close anything or open a menu, I had to do a soft reset to get anything back.
    I tried it again, turning on the bt first and then opening the app. All I got out of the earpiece was a pop occasionally.
    Last edited by Lone Rider; 07-17-09 at 10:44 PM.
    07-17-09 10:26 PM
    Any chance of sending a video's audio out - even to A2DP headsets? I understand there might be a "lip sync" issue - maybe your program could allow some adjustment?
    It could be possible, but that's not really my priority at the moment -- the source is there for anyone to build on anyway.

The audio-video sync problem is not so easy to solve, anyway, but it may be possible with A2DP...
    07-18-09 12:33 AM
    I just tried this app and it froze everything up completely! I had opened the app and then turned on the bt. It left the screen up that said the bt had connected. It would not close anything or open a menu, I had to do a soft reset to get anything back.
    I tried it again, turning on the bt first and then opening the app. All I got out of the earpiece was a pop occasionally.
    Can you tell me what headset you're using and what profile the phone reports it using (it should say it in the window that pops up when your headset is paired, eg "Handsfree" and a green tick)?

Yes, you have to start the Bluetooth *first*, then pairing your headset, then starting the app.

Also, try starting the app without a headset paired, clicking OK to the notice that says that Bluetooth audio can't be routed, and see if you hear anything out of the speaker.
    07-18-09 12:37 AM
    It could be possible, but that's not really my priority at the moment -- the source is there for anyone to build on anyway.

The audio-video sync problem is not so easy to solve, anyway, but it may be possible with A2DP...
    Hey, thanks for making this available in any event.

I'm certainly not one to deal with code

I figured the sync could be an issue.
    07-18-09 09:54 AM
    Hi there,

Thought I'd save you the same hassle I went through debugging this and point you to the thread about this on my forums. It seems that mono BT output compatibility is less about the headset in question and more about the phone model/OS/chipset. At least that's what my user's and I have seemingly found.

Hope this helps.

Marcus
    VersatileMonkey.com
    07-22-09 07:35 PM
    Is there any app that mods the blackberry media player so that it goes to my bt headset cause I really like using that music player and its just much easier selecting music

07-23-09 02:14 AM
    Is there any app that mods the blackberry media player so that it goes to my bt headset cause I really like using that music player and its just much easier selecting music

No, I don't think you can mod the inbuilt media player -- if it were possible that's what I would have done from the start.

I know it sucks, but we're stuck with it.
    07-23-09 03:39 AM
    Why not just get a headset with A2DP?
    07-23-09 09:01 AM
    I am a little confused (easily done). Can I use this program to stream slacker thru a jawbone?

07-23-09 10:36 PM
    How many mono A2DP headsets are there?

Anyway, that's not really the point.
    07-24-09 04:44 AM
    I am a little confused (easily done). Can I use this program to stream slacker thru a jawbone?

No, you can only play MP3s. Any other app needs to do it's own Bluetooth handling.
    07-24-09 04:45 AM
    Cause I got my head set for like �5 but the cheapest a2dp headphone are nearing �20+

Slaming

07-24-09 08:50 AM
    07-24-09 08:58 AM
    Are ther any other a2dp besides the three from jabra? I have the 8040 and the 530. The only other that I know of is the 8010.

07-24-09 02:13 PM
    Yeah I saw some on ebay a motorola or sumin I nearly got one free from a mate but never did but it would just be easier to have one headset for calling and listening to music when I bought my headset it did say headphone as well so it might work as headphones but I'm not sure but I'm just thinking it would be nice instead of having to use a custom music player also because I use the pause button on top and I saw if that work but I tested anyway rant over!

Slaming

07-24-09 02:36 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD