hey paul,
    yeah the MPH is still at zero and wont change, sorry it took so long to get back but i have been out for a bit
    06-15-08 09:04 PM
    Paul, any luck with the mgrs?
    06-15-08 09:06 PM
    Hi Jerbear1377,

Are you sure you are using the latest version? The speed only works in 1.2.2. You are the only one who has experienced that problem no one else has reported it. Could you send me a screen shot please .

Im sorry but i look into MGRS but its seems to difficult at the time because i have loads of stuff going on and its summer . Loads of BBQ hehe.

Regards
    Paul
    06-18-08 03:22 AM
    great program, thanks.

the knots conversion in 1.2.2 needs ....... to be updated

edit:
    the required conversions are:
    1mph = .8689 knots
    1kph = .5399 knots
    Last edited by danpass; 06-18-08 at 12:01 PM.
    06-18-08 11:54 AM
    hi DanPass and everyone else,

you are right the knots is using the wrong conversion.

The API returns the speed in m/s. To get the speed into knots you need to multiply it by 1.94384449.

I have changed it now

I'm not used to knots so i never checked them. sorry.

Regards

Paul
    06-18-08 01:10 PM
    Thanks so much, great work
    06-18-08 10:29 PM
    hey paul. thanks for looking into it anyways. I do have 1.2.2 but i am going to get the 1.3 and will let you know how its working. I was using it in my truck when it was showing 0 mps but everything else seemed to be working fine. I didn't even notice the kts being the wrong conversion. Anyways, Its an awsome app.
    06-20-08 09:22 AM
    For what it's worth guys, i got it to pair with my VZW 8830 and Freedom keychain, and it is within a very very slim margin with nav4all.... I must say if your looking for a gps coordinate program without the mapping/directions this is a very simple and very good working app.. I love the knot's/mph/kph feature too! When i get a chance to test it out against the other programs, i'll let you know how close they are!

Thanks Paul for making this app!

Brandon
    06-29-08 03:31 AM
    What phone is this designed for? I have a pear 8130 and it said - "No addtional applications designed for your device were found" after i choose youre file
    06-29-08 06:26 PM
    hi all,
    the application has been designed for all Blackberry phones which have
    a internal or external GPS unit.

RockAndRollAcdc have you tried to install one of the earlier version and then update to the latest version ?

Regards
    Paul
    06-30-08 02:39 AM
    What i've found is on certain application i have to load them directly on to my Phone. Some others i can use DM.
    06-30-08 09:00 AM
    I wish I could try this application out, I dont have a GPS puck and I have verizon, however if verizon ever changes this I cant wait to try it out
    06-30-08 01:18 PM
    Well, you can go to Options> Advanced> GPS, and it will give you coordinates, with the option to refresh them...

BB Maps can give you speed and direction accurately, but not lat/long, but that will require a data connection. =(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-08 11:52 PM
    Great app!! is there any possiblity on adding some navigation functionality. i.e. entering destination coordinates and getting distance and bearing data? A navigation arrow would be awesome.

I am interested in using it to go geocaching.

Also, are you going to open-source this app?
    07-02-08 03:00 PM
    hi,

I have already applied for an account at sourceForge.net but they haven't replied to me yet.

Paul
    07-03-08 01:09 PM
    hi all,

The project files are also available now on google code.

blackberrygps - Google Code

Lets develop this app altogether .

Reagrds
    Paul
    07-06-08 07:26 AM
    Hi Paul

Since you wanted feedback for your little program:
    It's nice, it works...and I'm using a Pearl (8110) with OS 4.5 (Germany, Vodafone)

I'd like to see how this project of yours develops.

Best wishes,
    Wolfwent
    07-06-08 10:27 AM
    hey JERBEAR1377,

I have to do some research first. I'm not very familiar with MGRS but I'm sure i ll get my head around it and then I'm going to implemented for you.

Like the idea.Any more idea please post up or even comments about the current version.

Regards Paul
    I second the request for MGRS (Military Grid Referece System). I have been looking for an GPS app that has that. Haven't been able to find one yet.

Sam Lee
    [email protected]
    07-27-08 12:31 PM
    Paul, Thanks for putting the source out there. I used it to acquaint myself with J2ME. I have been a Java developer for years, but this is my first adventure in J2ME. It provides a much more rewarding of a learning experience than a HelloWorld app . I would have had this posted a couple weeks ago, but right after I got it finished, my computer crashed and I lost everything so I started over from scratch.

I took the source and added a destination screen to enter destination coordinates. Then I added two pointers to the base screen: One is a compass pointing North, the other is a pointer pointing to the destination.

Here is a zip containing everything if you are interested in it.

What I like about your app is that it is the potential starting point for a large number of possible gps related apps. This is just one. There is still a lot I want to do to it, but this seemed like a good checkpoint.
    07-30-08 10:56 AM
    Is there any way to implement some sort of logging of coordinates to SD? It would be great to be able to somehow upload these coordinates to a map to show the route covered... I know gpsed (gpsed.com) has this feature, altho I realize it may be hard to implement. Thanks!
    07-30-08 11:56 AM
    @alorico:
    I use BBtracker to log my routes. It even converts the files into other formats so you can see the way you've gone/driven/swum *g* in Google earth.

And...could someone pls once again tell me how to install the java file and the others so I can use it on my BB? It's a newbie-question, I bet, but that's what I need to know right now.

Thanks a lot,
    Patrick
    07-30-08 05:54 PM
    @alorico:
    I use BBtracker to log my routes. It even converts the files into other formats so you can see the way you've gone/driven/swum *g* in Google earth.

And...could someone pls once again tell me how to install the java file and the others so I can use it on my BB? It's a newbie-question, I bet, but that's what I need to know right now.

Thanks a lot,
    Patrick
    You don't install the java files. You install the cod and alx using bb desktop manager. The java files and png files are all the source programs and are used to generate the cod and alx.

What you need to do is put the cod and alx files in a folder together. Using Desktop Manager, you can add application, and select the alx file. The cod gets pulled in with alx automatically.
    07-30-08 08:30 PM
    You don't install the java files. You install the cod and alx using bb desktop manager. The java files and png files are all the source programs and are used to generate the cod and alx.

What you need to do is put the cod and alx files in a folder together. Using Desktop Manager, you can add application, and select the alx file. The cod gets pulled in with alx automatically.
    Oh my...stupid me! I mean...in only saw alot of .png, .java, .jar and simply missed the alx and cod! Installed a lot of progs the usual way. But thanks
    And thanks again for your idea since I'll try your app to go geocashing! Then I'll tell you whether it works the way I need it to
    Last edited by Wolfwent; 07-31-08 at 02:23 AM.
    07-31-08 02:10 AM
    Let me know how the geocaching goes. That was my intent on using it too. You will need to make sure you get the coordinates from the website in dd.ddddd format. Geocaching.com's default format is dd mm.mmmm. But each cache page has a "Other Conversions" link which displays the coords in different formats.

Also, there is no persistence yet. Meaning if you exit out of the program you lose the destination coordinates. However if you exit out using the "hang up" button it usually keeps it.

But I plan on adding persistence, multiple coordinate formats, metric vs american selection, waypoint lists. I don't know if Paul will want to incorporate the destination navigation portions in with his version, it might not be where his goals are with his app. But if not, I will keep mine out there too.

But it definitely looks like you and I are planning on using this the proper way, for geocaching!!!
    07-31-08 08:46 AM
    I can't wait to try this. I'm a new geocacher so this will be fun.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 10:16 AM
830 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD