More of the same sharks circling the RIM Swimmers:

Research in Motion: Did PlayBook R&D jeopardize its superphones? | ZDNet

From Morgan Stanley analyst Ehud Gelblum:
    We believe RIM has now squandered nearly every opportunity and competitive advantage it enjoyed through ineffective R&D resource management, delayed product launches and misreads of the competitive environment. With the 9900 launch now likely pushed out til Sept, the remaining BB7 phones now likely just launching in Oct/Nov, and new Playbook models on the way, we believe RIM may have run out of R&D capacity to launch its QNX handset in the CQ1/ FQ4 timeframe it was shooting for.
    I think that is a very true statement. as the article goes on, there is some belief in the Playbook as a product and it seems that the expectation is that is did sell in the 300k numbers which is promising. To the point Kevin made the other day, I commute in and out of NY every day and usually see the latest and greatest mobile tech. I have not seen a single Playbook during my commute. I have seen a few in Air ports however. I also have only seen 1 Xoom so take that for what it's worth.

Long story Short, RIM needs to get new phones into the market now. Not in August, or September. The 9900 needs to be live in July, with Monaco/Monza by August at the latest. With no iPhone 5 announced as of yet, and Android's inability to proliferate Gingerbread updates (and no real info on Next Release Ice Cream Sandwich) there is a dwindling opportunity for RIM to capture some momentum.

The other problem here is that RIM is working to get out Current devices. By that I mean current specs and capabilities to competition. If they can't get these devices out, where do they stand on delivering next gen QNX OS, and where do they stand on delivering a Cloud Solution to compete with Google and Apple?

RIM could position them selves in a sweet spot between Apple's Manage your media via our Cloud, and Google's manage all your stuff via our Cloud (but via ad driven silo'd applications that are in a never ending beta state). RIM needs to deliver a Secure Content (and by Content i mean PIM info, Apps, and Media) management solution via the cloud. Promote BIS and BES to cloud and incorporate Desktop manager in the same cloud like apple did with iTunes, then include App world, Docs to Go, and Media Partnerships (amazon, Netflix, Etc.) all via an integrated, secure portal.

Getting the devices out is bandaging wounds of the past few years. Implementing their management solutions in a more all encompassing cloud based secure solution is what can take them to the next level.
    06-15-11 08:01 AM
    Does anyone have any predictions or knowledge of what to expect tomorrow from the earnings call? Is anyone expecting a release date announcement for the Bold Touch or the official announcement of the other phones leaked to be out there.
    06-15-11 08:13 AM
    The Bold Touch has dates on a couple carriers already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-11 09:38 AM
    The Bold Touch has dates on a couple carriers already.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe those dates are official and are just projections.
    06-15-11 09:45 AM
    Agreed, there as been no official release dates made by any carriers yet. If the Bold 99** series is delayed then IMO RIM will take a hit stockwise, but normally it takes up to two years of continuely screwing up to start a slippery slop you can't recover from. RIM isn't there yet, but by 2013 they'll either be running with the big dogs or a blast of the past

06-15-11 10:30 AM
    Does anyone have any predictions or knowledge of what to expect tomorrow from the earnings call? Is anyone expecting a release date announcement for the Bold Touch or the official announcement of the other phones leaked to be out there.
    A little less bad news will be good news at this point.
    06-15-11 10:42 AM
    I have a feeling that they will buckle to pressure and announce the rest of the lineup and give release dates. I also expect them to try and push for an earlier release of the 9900 series phones.
    06-15-11 10:47 AM
    I just hope they don't do their usual shtick where they ignorantly act like nothing is wrong and everyone is exaggerating. Fess up some details bros. I wish they don't just announce a release date on the 9900 but also explain in detail where they went wrong and what happened with that whole scenario.
    06-15-11 11:30 AM
    Seems like I go through this rant every three months. Not likely you're going to get product details on Thursday. Revenue and profit figures for last quarter, hopefully some PlayBook sales numbers, and either a re-affirmation of the year's guidance or an adjustment (here's hoping it's a re-affirmation, because it's highly unlikely they'll be adjusting upwards if it isn't).

Don't expect any product-specific information. This is just corporate financial crap that's boring as he11 to the average consumer.

06-15-11 11:46 AM
    Seems like I go through this rant every three months. Not likely you're going to get product details on Thursday. Revenue and profit figures for last quarter, hopefully some PlayBook sales numbers, and either a re-affirmation of the year's guidance or an adjustment (here's hoping it's a re-affirmation, because it's highly unlikely they'll be adjusting upwards if it isn't).

Don't expect any product-specific information. This is just corporate financial crap that's boring as he11 to the average consumer.

Investors are looking for answers though........ I don't think it's in their best interest to move forwards with "business as usual," especially when shareholders are calling for a vote to change the management structure.
    06-15-11 12:30 PM

Ehh it's not unheard of for investors to start asking questions. Maybe it hasn't happened in any RIM calls but it has happened in other companies where they'd dispel rumours, or provide new info, or just answer whatever. Guess I'm just hoping it happens here as well.
    06-15-11 12:34 PM
    Ehh it's not unheard of for investors to start asking questions. Maybe it hasn't happened in any RIM calls but it has happened in other companies where they'd dispel rumours, or provide new info, or just answer whatever. Guess I'm just hoping it happens here as well.
    This. It's really only a matter of time until people start getting fed up.
    06-15-11 12:40 PM
    RIM would be better off releasing the new hardware with OS6 asap and then upgrade them when OS7 is finished. From everything we have heard, these devices are being delayed because of the software, not the hardware.

There has been 1 worthy BlackBerry phone released in the past year, and that is the underpowered Torch. The other phones released haven't been impact worthy phones (9780 is just a refresh and the Style was a niche phone).

WE NEED HARDWARE UPGRADES, NOW!
    06-15-11 12:42 PM
    The problem with doing that is I bet half (or more than half) of their marketing campaign is based around "omg new OS7 and LIQuidZZZ GRAPHICS!!!" and things of the like.

I'm not saying that's a good reason not to release the phones, I'm just saying that's probably their excuse, if it is indeed a software issue.
    06-15-11 12:48 PM
    I know, and that's a valid excuse most of the time, but not right now. If I were up for a new phone, I would not be getting an older BlackBerry, and I wouldn't be waiting until September. I'm a die hard BlackBerry users, but I would jump ship because they don't have a legit phone to offer right now.
    06-15-11 12:58 PM
    Yup.

I agree.

I'm an iphone and hate the lack of signal.. Just got a replacement white iphone and still having similar issues.. I love the iphone for browsing in the washroom or out and about.. BUT.. I'm almost jumped back on a 9780 this week after being on apple phones for 2-3 years.. Why? because i need to make calls.. and I need it to work all the time.. not some of the time. I bring the playbook around now so i don't need the iphone..

But I like touch phones and the 9780s screen is a bit too small.. I was holding off for the 9900 but seeing as that is a long ways away i might wait for a new iphone or cool android phone..But my rogers corporate rep doesn't have any android phones for sale other then the xpeira x12 which blew.
    06-15-11 01:17 PM
    I would be totally fine with a torch2 on os6. OS6 does everything i need. its just the torch holding me back.
    06-15-11 02:35 PM
    I would have been totally fine with a torch1, but didn't have that option on Sprint, d@mn exclusives.
    06-15-11 02:39 PM
    Can we have a break from negatives about RIM and BB? Enjoy your BB or switch to the church of apple if you want. There are so many BBs out there.

Torch is old phone being only 10 months after release? Iphone 4 is even older cause it's 13 months from release but no one says it's old.

There are so many experts here telling RIM what it should do. It's their business so they will do what they want.

Some people will never be happy regardless of what phone they have.
    06-16-11 08:25 AM
    Can we have a break from negatives about RIM and BB? Enjoy your BB or switch to the church of apple if you want. There are so many BBs out there.

Torch is old phone being only 10 months after release? Iphone 4 is even older cause it's 13 months from release but no one says it's old.

There are so many experts here telling RIM what it should do. It's their business so they will do what they want.

Well I have had my 8330 for almost 3 years now, so I have been pretty happy with the phone that I have, but it is served its purpose and slowly dying, I'm resetting atleast 4-5 times a week now. I just want a current phone to be placed on Sprint. As I stated earlier, I would still be happy with a Torch 9800 or whatever number they would come up with for CDMA carriers, but I never got that option, so I now am waiting for hopefully a Bold 9930 to hit Sprint so I can upgrade and be happy for another 2+ years. I understand there has been constant negativity about RIM on here, but when your stock is dropping as fast as RIM's stock is, you would think they might see the writing on the wall and understand that they need to get some positive news out there. Now if they were to release a new set of phones and people continue to complain then I could see the issue.
    06-16-11 09:12 AM

1. IF THERE WAS GOOD NEWS - IT WOULD BE ALL OVER THESE PAGES
    2. many of us LOVE Blackberry(ies), and because of it, want them to be the best they can, and are frustrated that they have really not picked it up the last 2+ years.
    3. No need for details here so I don't throw the entire thread off the tracks, but the Torch does not compare favorably to the Iphone 4, which is now getting IOS5 and promised to get IOS6 as well. Torch was a nice mid level device when it launched, but was never a Superphone. See Kevin's review and comparison to the Iphone 4.
    4. Many BB users and thousands of forum posters here, are on BES. IE, we are locked into this ecosystem, having purchased or our business's having purchased a BES license and invested thousands in a BB infrastructure. So if we choose to continue to point out what a shi-hole mess has been made of this company, and how p/o'd we may be at the inability of RIM to re-invest all of ours and our carrier's BIS/BES fees in some R&D and produce some high end devices with solid OSes in a timely manner; well I think we not only have that right, but that it should be understood and sympathized with by other BB users as well. And certainly not dismissed as the ramblings of despondent teenagers and overly critical, loathesome humans.

Just saying.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-16-11 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD