Hello All, I Need Some Help Or Advice. My Wife's Bb 8820 Stopped Working At 11am. It States A Sim Card Error As Well As Sos. Is There Any Way To Save This Phone Or Must I Purchase Another?
    03-07-08 10:40 PM
    Check first to make sure that the sim card is inserted correctly and locked in place.
    03-07-08 11:01 PM
    Remove the SIM card and wipe the contcts with a soft, dry cloth. if this doesnt help you will need to contact your service provider for a new SIM.
    SOS means you can only call emergency numbers.....the only half decent thing providers offer.
    03-08-08 12:38 AM
    Chances are you just need a new SIM Card...
    03-08-08 04:11 PM
    it could just be that the sim card was dislodged.. maybe it got bumped around or dropped. SOS isn't terribly uncommon. if i'm in an area with no service, it pops up as SOS. & if the sim card isn't working properly or in place, you'll get it as well. worse comes to worse, you'll just need a new sim card.

&& those are free
    03-08-08 04:17 PM
    Same happened for me too today. Just out of the blue... i am missing my HTC TyTn II :-(
    03-09-08 03:38 PM
    First thing is always to try a reboot. While it's on, pull the battery and wait 30 seconds. Then try to restart and see if it recognizes the SIM card. If not, see if you can borrow another AT&T user's SIM card and restart with that one. It doesn't even have to be a Blackberry SIM, just an AT&T one. That will tell you if it's your SIM card that's causing the trouble. A last resort is to use Desktop Manager and reload your Blackberry's software. Takes a little over an hour but cures a lot of woes.

I was getting an error on my 8800 when I started it up with my SIM card in it. I had been using a Curve and decided to switch back to my 8800 for a while, just for grins. It would start, then white screen with the "Error 523 - Reset" message. I'd reset it (restart with a battery pull) and it would happen again immediately. I finally decided to reload the OS onto the handheld and took the opportunity to load the latest OS (from another carrier) as it doesn't matter whose OS you load, just so long as it's the one for your specific model. That means no 8820 OS on an 8800. BAM! Problem solved and she's running like new. Happy ending all around.

The good news is that you can backup all your data prior to doing the OS re-install, right through Desktop Manager. It will prompt you to do the backup before proceeding, which you should definitely do. Then, when the OS is reloaded, it will restore all your data and third-party apps. I recommend Desktop Software version 4.2 (SP2) instead of the slightly newer 4.3. The latest one seems to be a little buggy for some folks. It's a free download from Blackberry.com. To get the latest OS for your particular device, there is a link at the top of the individual forum for your particular Blackberry model that will take you to the proper site for the handheld software.
    03-09-08 06:14 PM
    Thanks for the info. My Curve just started giving me a sim card error message. before this weekend it was working fine. I have not downloaded anything new so I dont know what could have caused this.
    03-18-08 02:48 AM
    I had a BB with a bad SIM card door. Make sure the SIM door locks (should feel/hear a gentle click when you lock it by pulling the door away from the hinge gently with your fingernail) Also you might try cleaning the SIM with a soft pencil eraser or a soft cloth.
    04-01-08 11:41 PM
    I bought two similar phones and had the same problem (SOS)9700 bold. Then I found out that the problem can be solved. Go to manage connections, then mobile network options and change the network selection mode from automatic to manual and specify you provider. Hope this will solve the problem. It worked for me. What this option does is that it restricts your blackberry to only your service provider so when the signal drops it will not search for any other provider and sticks to the current provider.
    07-04-11 11:51 PM
    if the sim is working on other device (unlocked or from the same carrier) - device issue, maybe sim slot - you can get it fixed.

if it's not working it can be a sim issue, first contact the carrier and see if you can get it replaced or something.
    07-31-11 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD